ATT Yahoo Mail POP3 Unable to Download Messages with Attachments

  • John Haverty
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 2014
      I am trying to help a friend who has a AT&T Yahoo account. She has been using Windows Live Mail for months without any problems and suddenly within the past few weeks she is unable to download her POP3 mail if there are attachments. The system closes the connection and does not download her email. I have checked settings and do not find any problems. Set for POP3 with SSL and correct ports, but it stops downloading. I tried increasing the timeout setting, but still it will not download the message(s) with the attachments.

      If she has seven messages and the seventh message has the attachments (images), Windows Live Mail will download messages 1-6 each time she tries to connect, but when it gets to the message with the images, it will fail. Thus, when she tries to get her mail again, she has duplicates of each of the 1-6 messages, but they never are removed from the server because the seventh message is not retrieved by POP mail.

      Did something recently change with Yahoo and POP mail that would be causing this to happen?

      I have been able to determine this is the issue by going to the web interface (http://mail.yahoo.com) to access the account, moving the messages with images to a new folder and then connecting to get mail. No problems and mail is retrieved without issue by Windows Live Mail. Once I put the message(s) back that have attachments (images), it will not download and fails. Again, this is new as she has been using Windows Live mail with this AT&T Yahoo account for a while now. The images are not really big (2 MB or so).

      Any assistance would be appreciated.

      John
    • havertyj
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2014

        Has anyone had any problems with Windows Live Mail and POP3 mail retrieval with ATT Yahoo?  Any help would be appreciated.

        John

      • Harryh
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2014
          Wow!  Finally someone with the same issue I have been having for months.  I would most certainly like to know more.

          I have some mail with attachments that cannot be accessed via POP3.  The affected attachments cannot be downloaded via Webmail.  The affected mail cannot be forwarded either.  The common identifier associated with the mail can be found using the webmail interface - Go to the menu item 'more' select display full headers - on my affected mail the header field is blank.

          The affected mail with attachments is a somewhat rare occurrence, happening on about 1/2% of my received group mail (my only reason to use Yahoo mail addresses).  For those group that send frequent attachments, I resolved the issue by using an alternative service for those messages; but still I have some groups sending to my Yahoo address and the problem reappears.

          I surmise that somehow within the Yahoo system, some header data has been altered such that POP3 detects a corrupted mail item stopping the transfer.  The same issue affects IMAP access as well, it gets jammed up with the affected mail item and won't continue to synchronize.

          I almost, repeat almost, had a concierge solution when the communication ended abruptly without resolution.  This followed a very long series of inane transactions with Customer Care associated with browser issues (reminding them about POP3 issues was not fruitful).  I send screen shots, even videos of what I was seeing.

          I am preparing to s-mail Jerry Filo who I hope has the technical chops to see if the issue can be resolved.  I've stored numerous examples of the failed mail items for whatever analysis Yahoo technical folk might want to do.  It's clear that most levels of technical support are clueless.

          Many email services allow access to the raw mail item.  Given a raw view, one can simply copy the message as a text file and use a manual decode (UUE or Base64 tool) to get the attachment.  Yahoo does not appear to offer that capability, unlike any other service I've used.  BTW, I date myself back to NNTP and manual decoding using muliple versions of UUE prior to the default current standard.

          Sorry to run on for such an extent, but this issue started some months ago as Yahoo changed from the Classic interface to the Javascript interface.  The issue still persists, but is very infrequent.

[...]

          ------------------------------------
          Posted by: John Haverty <john.haverty@...>

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • John Haverty
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 9, 2014
            Harryh,

            Sounds like a similar problem, but I am able to log into the web and access the messages.  I can move them to another folder and the POP3 connection will work again.  However, as long as the large messages are in the inbox, the POP3 connection fails over and over.  As you indicated, this just started within the past few months.  It was not a problem prior to this first happening back in May or June.

            I will check the issue with the mail header being blank.  I have not noticed that problem as it can be accessed via the webmail, but I will check to see if I have the same symptom on the messages that cannot be downloaded.

            You could be right about the POP3 connection stopping when it has this problem.  The messages that I have seen doing this so far have all been from one person.  I will try sending a test to the mailbox to see it also stops the POP3 retrieval from others or maybe it is just doing it for this one person.

            Thank you for the information and I will let you know what I find out.

            John

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 12, 2014
              My research has revealed that the issue is independent of sender.  Sadly, it seems to happen rarely so is difficult to debug.  It seems associated with transit though Yahoo servers.  The singular common element is the lack of header data.

              Malformed messages used to be an issue long ago affecting POP3 (and IMAP) where the SMTP sender simply reported an error to the POP receiver.   Those malformed messages simply had to be discarded.  Malformation is typically header related when the header is missing the proper CR.LF.CR.LF, etc sequences or other header errors.  Since the header can't be displayed and Yahoo doesn't facilitate a raw message view, who knows why the header is malformed.  Yahoo's inability to show the header doesn't help.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 21, 2014

                Harryh,

                We just had another message that would not download.  This message is a PDF attachment.  POP3 connection closed and I was contacted to check the problem.  Moved the message via the web interface to another folder, accessed the message, and downloaded the PDF file.

                I did check to see if the message header was blank, but it does not appear to be the case.  The headers look correct.  I am going to try setting up Thunderbird on my office computer to see if I put that message back in the inbox if Thunderbird also fails to download the message.  Wondering if maybe this is a Microsoft Windows Mail problem instead of a Yahoo problem.

                Nothing to base that off of other than that's what my friend is using and doing it with a number of messages with anything larger than 1 MB.  I know you are having this problem too and wondering what email client you are using.

                John

              • mike bader
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 22, 2014

                  You will have the same trouble with TB.
                  I have gone online to webmail and deleted the message.
                  It is a valid message from a known member and a valid yahoo group in my case.
                  Message seems normal and opens fine online.
                  Message is not blank.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 23, 2014
                    I use Thunderbird or Pegasus as clients, depending.  To examine in detail what is happening I have used Telnet.  Telnet is a command line connection to examine what error messages are sent via the POP3 port and does not depend on client varieties.

                    If you have headers using the web 'show more' menu, it's a different issue.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 23, 2014
                      Mike,

                      Did you check if the message had a valid header using 'show more' menu?  The lack of a header appears to cause POP3 failures.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 24, 2014
                        When I could not get POP3 to work properly for me, I switched protocol to IMAP which worked flawlessly.  Maybe give it a try to see if it works for you.
                      • John Haverty
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 29, 2014
                          I think I will try switching them over to IMAP. I use to have AT&T Yahoo as my main email address. I used IMAP for years and it worked great! I did check the message to make sure the headers were valid and everything looks good. I will try setting up with IMAPS, putt he message back in the inbox, and then see if it is able to pull it down.

                          Thanks!

                          John

                        • rwmonlineaffiliatebusiness
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 29, 2014
                            Looks like yahoo has made the corrections to resolve Email problems. I suspect the downtime I experience a couple of days ago was to initiate these corrections. All of my Email accounts are operating properly now.
                            Just thought I would shout out a mention.
                            Bob