Neo Mail FF and Basic - are still not right ...

  • CJB
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2014
      ... actually are damned misleading.

      I refer to the email totals on the LHS which only show those emails
      that have not yet been opened. Why so?

      Opening an email reduces the count of its folder by 1.

      However if emails are in say Spam and they have all been opened then
      the Spam total shows 0 (zero) even though there are emails in that
      folder. WTF?

      The same pertains to Trash. Obviously there are emails in there that
      have been opened from Inbox and then deleted which puts them into
      Trash. However there are also emails that have not been opened (spam)
      and have also been put into Trash. But the Trash count is only for
      those emails that have not been opened. Doh!!

      It seems to me that the Yahoo script kiddies do not actually use Neo
      Mail themselves - as indeed we have learnt some months ago. If they
      did use Neo Mail then they would have realised that there are still
      basic snafus.

      Yet the snafus above are fundamental. Jeeze if they can't even get the
      fundamentals right after frigging around with the code for a year how
      on earth are they going to get the more advanced stuff right?

      Still not impressed. Its still NFFP.

      CJB.
    • Sasafrass452
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2014
        Chris, that's the way it's supposed to work. It simply shows you how many unread messages are in the folder. Why is this a problem for you?

        ***Sasafrass452***
        https://plus.google.com/u/0/115636767734746303817/about
        http://twitter.com/Sasafrass452
        http://flickr.yahoo.com/photos/Sasafrass452

        On 05/31/2014 10:24 AM, CJB chrisjbrady@... [Y-Mail] wrote:

[...]

        3D Earth Screensaver Preview
        Free 3D Earth Screensaver
        Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth
      • Chris J Brady
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2014
          Its simply not intuitive. CJB.

          Subject: Re: [Y-Mail] Neo Mail FF and Basic - are still not right ...
          To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2014
            "intuitive" or not, that's the way it has always worked, and it makes sense to most of us.  Don't you want to know how many unread messages are in a folder?  *I* do......  Now, I don't read every message that comes in but I keep in mind the number of messages in the most popular folders so that I know when new messages are added to those folders.

            CF

            Date: Saturday, 31 May, 2014, 16:56

            [Y-Mail] wrote:

[...]

            ------------------------------------
            Posted by: Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...>

                Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

          • Kenneth
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2014
              Showing the unread message count rather than the total message count is the default for all email utilities that I've used including web-based email utilities and Microsoft Outlook. It's also the most useful information for me.  I don't need to know how many emails are in a folder but I do need to know whether there are any in the folder that I haven't looked at yet.

              As for Spam, the unread message count is useful for me there as well.  Periodically I'll browse the email listing in the spam folder to look for false positives.  I don't open the emails but I do quickly glance over the subjects and senders to make sure there isn't anything there that shouldn't have been marked as spam.  I sort unread to the top so that I only have to glance over those rather than the entire folder.  Once I've completed my survey, I select all unread and mark them all as read.  Having a folder indication of how many unread are in Spam gives me an indication of how long my task may take or whether I've put off the check too long.

              Kenneth

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2014
                Good points. Thank you - CJB

                To: "Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com" <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2014
                  I also would rather just see the number of unread messages in any given folder.

                  But if you hover over a folder name (in the folder list) you should see a small pop-up showing the total number of messages in that folder.

                  Also, in my created folders, hovering over a folder name shows me the total messages in that folder along with the number of unread messages, like this:
                  e.g., "FolderName - 8472 emails (12 unread)"

                  (I also still see the number of unread messages in Bold for these folders).