FINAL NAIL IN THE YAHOO COFFIN ...

  • Chris J Brady
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 16, 2014
      It is now not possible to use Yahoo Mail - Neo / Basic / Classic / whatever since just about ALL emails or posts sent to LISTSERV mailing lists from a Yahoo account cause bounce-back and the subsequent removal of membership to those lists.

      Yahoo is insistent upon keeping the extra layer of protection supposedly to protect against spamming and has deliberately configured their mail servers to 'corrupt' emails such that the LISTSERV servers refuse to accept these posts. Repeated refusals = bounce-backs = removal of memberships.

      As we know on the Yahoo Group [Y-Mail] Yahoo hasn't an ounce of professionalism in its ranks and so it has effectively broken the mailings lists that millions use for professional, business, and hobbyist reasons. The ONLY way round this is to use another email system. But even Gmail has issues with mailing lists.

      CJB.
    • Henrique Junior
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 16, 2014
        Chris, very soon all mail providers will change their DMARC policies to the exact sae policy used by Yahoo right now.
        All mail lists owners must adapt.

        --
        Henrique C. S. Junior
        Química Industrial - UFRRJ
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 16, 2014
          Extra layer or protection? So, this extra layer of protection is so special that it stops legit emails but allows bulk load of spam to my inbox?! My heartiest congratulations to the Yahoo Mail Team then, you've succeeded in making Yahoo more miserable than it already was.

          Regards,
          Goutam

[...]

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • Henrique Junior
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 16, 2014
            As said, DMARC is **NOT** a Yahoo Mail thing. All big Mail providers will use the same policy very soon.

[...]

          • Raymond B. Normandeau NYC
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 16, 2014
              handy Twitter addresses
              hash tags
              and link
              @FeatheredLeader
              @YahooNews
              @marissamayer
              @bonforte
              @YahooInc
              @YahooMailGroup
              @yahoomail
              @YahooAnswers
              #YahooGroups #yahoo
              #email
              #downrightnow
              #YahooMail
              #RIPyahoo

              Yahoo is damaged beyond repair.
              See collection of Yahoo problems screen shots at

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 16, 2014
                Speak for yourself.  I own a lot of groups and most of the members use Yahoo for mail and they are NOT having any problems.  Plus I use Yahoo for mail and I belong to over two hundred groups and have not had any of my posts to those groups bounce back.

                Lorrie

                Lorries Green World
                http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 17, 2014
                  The bounce-back / membership removal is affecting LISTSERV-type
                  mailing lists. It is not affecting Yahoo Groups. CJB

                  On 17/04/2014, Lorrie <minilorrie@...> wrote:
                  > Speak for yourself. I own a lot of groups and most of the members use Yahoo
                  > for mail and they are NOT having any problems. Plus I use Yahoo for mail
                  > and I belong to over two hundred groups and have not had any of my posts to
                  > those groups bounce back.
                  >
                  > Lorrie
                  >

                  > Lorries Green World
                  > http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                  > Thompson, Manitoba, Canada
                  >

                  >>________________________________

                • lena_kiev
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 18, 2014
                    > Posted by: "Lorrie" minilorrie@...

                    > I own a lot of groups and most of the members use Yahoo for mail
                    > and they are NOT having any problems.

                    yahoo sabotaged all other listservers except yahooGroups.
                    "p=reject" in _dmarc.yahoo.com txt record means that emails
                    with @ yahoo.com in "From:" should be rejected unless
                    DKIM-signed by yahoo (with "d=yahoo.com"), not by anybody else,
                    or pass SPF for the domain yahoo.com.
                    Scoundrels at yahoo made emails from yahooGroups
                    to pass SPF for the domain yahoo.com
                    and never bothered to make any changes in yahooGroups related to DMARC.
                    All other listservers (they like yahooGroups also have to insert
                    Subject tag and footer which invalidates yahoo's DKIM signature)
                    get most outgoing messages with @ yahoo.com in "From:" bounced
                    because of "p=reject" in _dmarc.yahoo.com,
                    so they have either to:
                    1) unsub all @ yahoo.com members, or
                    2) set them to Cannot Post (reject all incoming messages with @ yahoo.com in "From:", or
                    3) mangle "From:" which confuses users; breaks twit-filters and offlist replies; requires software changes - not every listowner is a programmer, moreover some listservers are closed-source, unchangeable by listserver operators.

                    > Plus I use Yahoo for mail and I belong to over two hundred groups
                    > and have not had any of my posts to those groups bounce back.

                    There are other listservers besides yahooGroups. yahooMail sabotaged them.
                  • Bruce Lund

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 18, 2014
                        Lena,

                        > yahoo sabotaged all other listservers except yahooGroups.
                        > "p=reject" in _dmarc.yahoo.com txt record means that emails
                        > with @ yahoo.com in "From:" should be rejected unless
                        > DKIM-signed by yahoo (with "d=yahoo.com"), not by anybody else,
                        > or pass SPF for the domain yahoo.com.

                        I can't speak to Yahoo's intent, but they /had/ to know how bad this
                        would be for Yahoo Mail users that belong to mailing lists (other than
                        Yahoo Groups), and for the mailing lists (other than Yahoo Groups) that
                        have Yahoo Mail users as members.

                        Before setting "p=reject", the advice at DMARC is to run for a length of
                        time with the setting "p=none". That means that every instance now being
                        rejected could previously have been reported to Yahoo. By paying
                        attention to those reports they would know how much list traffic would
                        be affected by a change to "reject".

                        The obvious conclusion is that Yahoo decided that the gain would be
                        worth the pain. Especially since the pain is inflicted on someone else
                        and only secondarily (if at all) manifested as a drop in Yahoo Mail users.

                        -- Shal