odd graphics

  • mid1700s
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2014
      My Yahoo email page has little boxes with E00D or E01A instead of checkboxes. What is this?
      It happens in Firefox 24 and 27 and in Explorer.
    • Shal Farley
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2014
        mid1700s,

        > My Yahoo email page has little boxes with E00D or E01A instead of
        > checkboxes. What is this?
        > It happens in Firefox 24 and 27 and in Explorer.

        Generally speaking, those box glyphs are presented whenever you Unicode font doesn't have a rendering for that character code.

        Unicode range E000–F8FF is reserved for private use. So in this case it is likely that Yahoo used those codes to represent glyphs that should have been downloaded to your system when you accessed this page. Why that didn't work for you I don't know.

        -- Shal
      • Chris J Brady
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2014
          The script kiddies were / still are making changes to the live system - on the fly. That's incredibly unprofessional but par for the course for Yahoo. Bunch of amateurs.

          However they are rolling out the new icon-less interface. They were screwing around last night.

          Suddenly the folder icons disappeared from the lhs. Then the main subject window got centred with the folder labelling placed half out of view, and the ad. on the rhs also half out of view.

          Then I couldn't open emails. Then I couldn't reply to emails. An then when I tried to forward an email I got rows of icons(??!!!) and blank preview windows - and I couldn't delete that tab.

          The problem with Javascript bloated webpages is that you have to download ALL of the correct code in order to get a properly working page.

          Since they were making changes on the fly you and I were only getting half-modified pages which contained snafus until they had finished updating the code.

          Suddenly after about an hour all started working again - but with a slightly different layout and no folder icons.

          AND they've still screwed up the layout because now I can't get to the log off menu because it has been pushed out of view at the top right corner.

          Thank God they've left Basic alone. Full Freatured is NFFP.

          CJB.

          P.S. BTW Meetup.com have changed their layout and it now looks like Yahoo Neo !!!!!¬

          Subject: [Y-Mail] odd graphics
          To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, 14 March, 2014, 15:41

          My Yahoo email page has little boxes with E00D or
          E01A instead of checkboxes. What is this?
          It happens in Firefox 24 and 27 and in Explorer.
        • Ross Taylor
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2014
            Here is a part of an explanation for Yahoo madness. I get several of this
            kind of thing every day, some a lot more technical.
            This has been happening for months.
            Yahoo remains silent, after all, it is a free service.

            Date: Friday, 14 March, 2014, 15:41