Yahoo Mail Hack ....

  • Chris J Brady
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2014
      Damn!!

      Just had my first email account hack - sending out loads of fake emails with just a URL in the body. If clicked upon the URL in these emails could send the reader to a fake website which would then download a virus onto his/her own computer. It would also send a bunch of contacts from that person's Yahoo address book to the crims.

      However this hack was from a largely unused Yahoo account - one I haven't actually logged into for quite a few years. The last email is dated 2005. And I recognised the recipient addresses of the spam emails as coming from such an old Yahoo account (I have a few), but most were old and are now invalid.

      I checked the account info. and found that someone - or rather a 'Yahoo! Partner Application' had logged into this old account on Jan 15 2014 from IN, US.

      This is the entry:

      Jan 15, 2014 17:39 Yahoo! Partner's Application Logged In  IN, US

      ALL of my other logon entries should have been for the UK - so I know that I didn't instigate this one. And as I said I have not used this account since 2005'ish.

      So what kind of App. could this be? And who is Yahoo!'s Partner that would allow this intrusion? And why would Yahoo! have a Partner that does this kind of thing?

      BTW I don't do Facebook - so its not that.

      Not good. I changed my password and set the account with a seal.

      But I'm not sure how to stop other emails. It seems the crims. have my address book now.

      CJB.
    • Paul Berndt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2014
        Hi Chris,
        Sorry to hear this, it happened to me about a year ago. Like you, I didn't click on anything yet got an email from myself with a link. I don't keep my address book online for this very reason.  It is a hassle that I'm willing to endure to avoid the mess this creates.  I do keep one of my email addresses in the online address books so that when I'm hacked, I will get the email. If I remember, Yahoo's servers were hacked a couple of months ago and they may just be getting around to you.

        I'm surprised that the account is still active since Yahoo reclaims accounts that are unused for an extended period. Knowing Yahoo, this probably doesn't work as advertised.

        Run a good security scan on your PC, you know, just in case.

        Isn't it odd that Yahoo seems to suffer these problems more than others? Mayer should have fixed this instead of dinking with the logo.

        Paul, Ohio, USA

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 28, 2014
          I had this problem too with a Yahoo account that has since been deleted. I deleted ALL the names in the address book and more or less abandoned the account. I did however log in once a month or every other month in the event that I might go back to it. It was about 6 month ago that I decided to delete the account. I suggest that if are going to keep the account the very minimum is to delete the data base so that those email addresses will not get spammed from an unused account.

          If you have not used the account, why not just delete the account? Is it possible?

          Donna Ford-Lee
          Tulsa, OK
          USA

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2014
            Thank you for a very good description of what happened.

            Yahoo may be partnering with the devil.

            I recommend that you check all the folders in that account as well as the
            "Reply-to" setting.
            A new account may have been set up with a slight change to your ID,such as a 1 for a l or 0 for o. This has happenedd to two of my friends.

            Also check your vacation response.

            --
            Always hot news at http://queensbridge.us/

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...> wrote:

            > Damn!!
            >
            > Just had my first email account hack
          • Jimbo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2014

              I hate the fact that you can no longer see the email address of the sender unless you check out the full header in the new Yuckhoo email.  That's a good way for scammers to get past you.  BE VERY CAREFUL
            • mayaranger
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29, 2014

                This has happened to me only once so far.  It was shortly after I used a Yahoo Mail app on my smartphone to access this account.  I am suspecting that the app was the cause in one way or another.

                I changed my password and all has been well for over a year now.  I removed the app from my phone and only access my account on my secure Linux system laptop.

              • Donna
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2014
                  Jimbo,

                  What version of Yahoo Mail are you using?  I use Basic and can see the sender's email address.  This is true whether it is a sender sending a message to a group or a sender sending a personal message to me.

                  Donna

                  I hate the fact that you can no longer see the email address of the sender unless you check out the full header in the new Yuckhoo email.  That's a good way for scammers to get past you.  BE VERY CAREFUL

                  _
                • Kenneth
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 29, 2014
                    Jimbo,

                    To see the sender's email address you don't need to display the full header.  Just roll the mouse over the sender's name, don't click on anything, and their email address should appear in a little pop-up next to the mouse's pointer and the sender's name.

                    Kenneth