Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Export / save / read and manage stored emails offline?

  • Liz Yumrutepe
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
      switch back to the classic version , export what you need than switch back to beta

      http://www.kaplan.edu
      " Knowledge is the key to life "

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
        As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management to "Archive Messages."

        I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

        Well, I often need to access my e-mail from "internet cafes" in
        remote parts of the world. That's why I switched from using POP3 /
        Outlook Express to using Yahoo mail. It seems to work everywhere.

        It did not occur to me that I would have so much trouble managing and
        backing up my voluminous e-mail files.

        Terminology has me confused. I pay for Yahoo Mail so I guess that I
        have "Mail Plus". But I recently switched to the Beta so maybe I no
        longer have Mail Plus and all of its features.

        Yahoo sent me some instructions for exporting individual messages,
        but the instructions do not work on my Beta. I sent Yahoo a request
        for clarification but have not received a reply.

        Thanks for your comments.

        DaveC

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

        > Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all
        the messages down to a desktop email client.

        > Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will
        change when the new version is released

        > Chris.

        advice
        Expert
        Advice

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
        Service.

        Expert advice Expert Advice
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

      • sasafrass452
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
          If you're paying, yes, you have mail plus. You still have mail plus
          even though you have the beta mail.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "dcutchin" <dcutchi2@...> wrote:
          > Terminology has me confused. I pay for Yahoo Mail so I guess that I
          > have "Mail Plus". But I recently switched to the Beta so maybe I no
          > longer have Mail Plus and all of its features.
        • dcutchin
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "dcutchin" <dcutchi2@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Is there or will there be a way of exporting / saving / reading and
            > managing offline the e-mail messages stored in my Yahoo mail
            folders?

            > Thanks,
            >
            > DaveC

            I think I have solved my problem with a little help from people on
            the open "comp.mail.misc" newsgroup.

            First I had to switch back to Mail Plus. Then I used the free
            utility YPOPs to transfer my stored e-mails, one folder at a time, to
            the IN box on my Outlook Express. YPOPs (and probably lots of other
            POP mail programs) will not work with the new Mail Beta.

            From the OE in-box I was able to file the messages into the folders
            and subfolders I have set up on my computer.

            I use Express Assist to help me backup and export my OE files.

            I certainly hope that the final version of the new Yahoo mail allows
            for easy downloading (exporting) of mail messages so they can be
            viewed and managed offline.

            I love the "web application" and storage model for personal
            computing, but it is scary when one cannot back up important data
            locally.

            Thanks,

            DaveC
          • dcutchin
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Michael Taylor-Judd <mickymse.geo@...>
              wrote:

              > As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-
              hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management
              to "Archive Messages."

              > I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if
              you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them
              into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

              I will try the "archive" feature under Options/Management and report
              back.

              But really, I am interested in liberating my stored e-mail files from
              the control of Yahoo or single company. I don't want to
              just "archive" them in some proprietary format which will limit my
              options forever.

              Thanks,
              DaveC
            • dcutchin
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                wrote:

                > As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-
                hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management
                to "Archive Messages."

                > I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if
                you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them
                into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

                OK, it works! I went to Options and found Archive. Pretty easy. It
                will download, at least, individual messages right into my OE inbox.

                Now I hope that the new Mail Beta retains that functionality. I
                didn't see it when I checked; and now I have gone back to the
                original Mail Plus. Little afraid to go forward to Mail Beta again.

                Thanks,

                DaveC
              • louise lover

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                    Info on archiving Yahoo! Mail -->
                    http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/03/04/how-to-archive-years-of-y-
                    mail/

                    This is a service available to Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers.

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, louise lover <fit_babe_2005@...>