Re: Export / save / read and manage stored emails offline?

  • dcutchin
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
      Well, I often need to access my e-mail from "internet cafes" in
      remote parts of the world. That's why I switched from using POP3 /
      Outlook Express to using Yahoo mail. It seems to work everywhere.

      It did not occur to me that I would have so much trouble managing and
      backing up my voluminous e-mail files.

      Terminology has me confused. I pay for Yahoo Mail so I guess that I
      have "Mail Plus". But I recently switched to the Beta so maybe I no
      longer have Mail Plus and all of its features.

      Yahoo sent me some instructions for exporting individual messages,
      but the instructions do not work on my Beta. I sent Yahoo a request
      for clarification but have not received a reply.

      Thanks for your comments.

      DaveC

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

      > Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all
      the messages down to a desktop email client.

      > Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will
      change when the new version is released

      > Chris.

      advice
      Expert
      Advice

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
      Service.

    • Liz Yumrutepe
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
        switch back to the classic version , export what you need than switch back to beta

        http://www.kaplan.edu
        " Knowledge is the key to life "

        Well, I often need to access my e-mail from "internet cafes" in
        remote parts of the world. That's why I switched from using POP3 /
        Outlook Express to using Yahoo mail. It seems to work everywhere.

        It did not occur to me that I would have so much trouble managing and
        backing up my voluminous e-mail files.

        Terminology has me confused. I pay for Yahoo Mail so I guess that I
        have "Mail Plus". But I recently switched to the Beta so maybe I no
        longer have Mail Plus and all of its features.

        Yahoo sent me some instructions for exporting individual messages,
        but the instructions do not work on my Beta. I sent Yahoo a request
        for clarification but have not received a reply.

        Thanks for your comments.

        DaveC

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

        > Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all
        the messages down to a desktop email client.

        > Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will
        change when the new version is released

        > Chris.

        advice
        Expert
        Advice

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
        Service.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

      • Michael Taylor-Judd
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
          As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management to "Archive Messages."

          I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

          Well, I often need to access my e-mail from "internet cafes" in
          remote parts of the world. That's why I switched from using POP3 /
          Outlook Express to using Yahoo mail. It seems to work everywhere.

          It did not occur to me that I would have so much trouble managing and
          backing up my voluminous e-mail files.

          Terminology has me confused. I pay for Yahoo Mail so I guess that I
          have "Mail Plus". But I recently switched to the Beta so maybe I no
          longer have Mail Plus and all of its features.

          Yahoo sent me some instructions for exporting individual messages,
          but the instructions do not work on my Beta. I sent Yahoo a request
          for clarification but have not received a reply.

          Thanks for your comments.

          DaveC

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all
          the messages down to a desktop email client.

          > Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will
          change when the new version is released

          > Chris.

          advice
          Expert
          Advice

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
          Service.

          Expert advice Expert Advice
          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

        • sasafrass452
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
            If you're paying, yes, you have mail plus. You still have mail plus
            even though you have the beta mail.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "dcutchin" <dcutchi2@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Is there or will there be a way of exporting / saving / reading and
              > managing offline the e-mail messages stored in my Yahoo mail
              folders?

              > Thanks,
              >
              > DaveC

              I think I have solved my problem with a little help from people on
              the open "comp.mail.misc" newsgroup.

              First I had to switch back to Mail Plus. Then I used the free
              utility YPOPs to transfer my stored e-mails, one folder at a time, to
              the IN box on my Outlook Express. YPOPs (and probably lots of other
              POP mail programs) will not work with the new Mail Beta.

              From the OE in-box I was able to file the messages into the folders
              and subfolders I have set up on my computer.

              I use Express Assist to help me backup and export my OE files.

              I certainly hope that the final version of the new Yahoo mail allows
              for easy downloading (exporting) of mail messages so they can be
              viewed and managed offline.

              I love the "web application" and storage model for personal
              computing, but it is scary when one cannot back up important data
              locally.

              Thanks,

              DaveC
            • dcutchin
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Michael Taylor-Judd <mickymse.geo@...>
                wrote:

                > As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-
                hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management
                to "Archive Messages."

                > I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if
                you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them
                into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

                I will try the "archive" feature under Options/Management and report
                back.

                But really, I am interested in liberating my stored e-mail files from
                the control of Yahoo or single company. I don't want to
                just "archive" them in some proprietary format which will limit my
                options forever.

                Thanks,
                DaveC
              • dcutchin
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-
                  hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management
                  to "Archive Messages."

                  > I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if
                  you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them
                  into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

                  OK, it works! I went to Options and found Archive. Pretty easy. It
                  will download, at least, individual messages right into my OE inbox.

                  Now I hope that the new Mail Beta retains that functionality. I
                  didn't see it when I checked; and now I have gone back to the
                  original Mail Plus. Little afraid to go forward to Mail Beta again.

                  Thanks,

                  DaveC
                • louise lover

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                      Info on archiving Yahoo! Mail -->
                      http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/03/04/how-to-archive-years-of-y-
                      mail/

                      This is a service available to Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers.

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, louise lover <fit_babe_2005@...>