Thunderbird - Importing Messages from Yahoo

  • CJB
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2013
      OK - it seems to download in fits and starts - but its getting there.

      It seems to download Inbox messages OK.

      But how do I download emails from the Sent folder, and indeed all other emails from other Private folders?

      Once I've got everything out of Yahoo I can close my Yahoo account.

      Thanks - Chris.

    • Sasafrass452
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2013
        The easiest way would be to use imap, then Thunderbird would download all your folders & emails. The imap settings are found here: http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_US&id=SLN4075

        **Sasafrass452**
        http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
        http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
        On 12/09/2013 11:29 AM, CJB wrote:

        OK - it seems to download in fits and starts - but its getting there.

        It seems to download Inbox messages OK.

        But how do I download emails from the Sent folder, and indeed all other emails from other Private folders?

        Once I've got everything out of Yahoo I can close my Yahoo account.

        Thanks - Chris.

        Smileys Preview
        Get Free Smileys for Your IM & Email - Learn more at www.crawler.com/smileys
        Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk and most webmails
      • CJB

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2013
            POP mail only collects from the Inbox.  To get other folders available for POP you must move those messages to the Inbox.  IMAP access can get mail from all folders depending on how you have configured Thunderbird.  IMAP does work but Yahoo says it doesn't support it (for some reason).

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2013
              This may be a browser problem for you rather than a Yahoo problem.  I just did a search for the name of an e-mail pen-pal of mind, and within 5 seconds, was given a list of e-mails dating all the way back to March 2007, i.e. the month that I opened this particular screen name. So Yahoo! e-mail search, at least on the Google Chrome browser on my particular computer, is not, in fast, broken.

              Is Yahoo! mail search broken for anyone else on this list?  Chris and I appear to be having polar opposite experiences with our mail (albeit his are much more entertainingly described).

              -Jason

              Thank you. I was using POP to get the Inbox. I'll try IMAP instead. There's about 25,000 emails altogether!!! But I really only want those from the last 5 years.

              Damn Yahoo for breaking its search feature.

              Chris B.
            • Donna
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2013
                Jason,

                Yahoo Mail search has never worked well for me, even before Neo.  I can enter a search term and will get results; but, when trying to fine tune the results, I will get nothing relevant to my initial search term(s).  Trying to leave feedback brings me to a page that says cookies must be enabled in order to use the page.  However, I do have cookies enabled, so, I don't even bother trying to search Yahoo Mail anymore.

                One more thing, I use Firefox 23 as my primary browser; but, I have found that I also have to use Safari more.  Since I upgraded my Firefox, there are many sites that used to work with Firefox 17, that will only work with my older Safari browser.  I run into the same issues with Yahoo Mail Search no matter which browser I use.  Since I do not use Google, I won't even download Google Chrome for the Mac.

                Donna

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2013
                  I have tried with IE08 and Chrome - all exhibit the same results - lists from end of Nov .and december 21013 only.

                  My address on Yahoo.com is the problem (this one),

                  My alternative address on Yahoo.co.uk is OK.

                  Chris B.

                  To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 12, 2013

                    I feel like odd man out.  I've raved (positive) about Yahoo's search capabilities for years in groups and in mail(Classic!!) I could eventually find/retrieve whatever I was looking for or needed.

                    With NEO, I now can't even get into my account of some 13 years' duration!!