Use of the pine email client witht the Yahoo! SMTP server

  • Paolo Casaschi
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 3:43 AM
      Hello,

      call me old fashioned, but I tried to configure the pine email client
      to use Yahoo! email POP3 and SMTP settings with the latest pine
      http://www.washington.edu/pine/

      POP3 works just fine.

      SMTP does not work, did a search and it seems related to a bug in the
      server software used by Yahoo in implementing SMTP authentication.

      Here is some info I got from the Internet:

      > There is a patch available for qmail which fixes the bogus "334 ok,
      > go on" reponse that caused Pine to issue a "SMTP Authentication
      > cancelled" message.
      >
      > The patch and documentation can be found at:
      > http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/

      Has anyone found any workaround to get pine to use the yahoo! SMTP
      server?

      I could use another SMTP server, teh one of my ISP for instance, but
      it seems very strange to me that Yahoo! on one hand is pushing for
      email solutions to verify the email source (i.e. verify that the smtp
      sender actually owns the email domain in the From field) but at the
      same time they dont let me use their SMTP server (see qmail non-
      standard behaviour), forcing me to "fake" a Yahoo! "From address" and
      use my local SMTP instead.

      Thanks in advance.

      -- Paolo

      PS: send the same to the Yahoo! mail feedback form, but got no
      abnswers...
    • Art
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4 5:09 PM
        I ran into a similar problem a couple of years ago. The problem sounds like it just might be nothing whatever to do with Pine, or with Yahoo!

        You say you could use your ISP's SMTP server. In fact, you might be forced to do that by your ISP. Many (if not most) ISPs now restrict Relaying of outgoing messages through to other SMTP servers. Your ISP might be one of them. Double check the wording of the message you get. If it mentions the word Relay anywhere, you may very well be a new victim of this policy.

        I'm not aware of any workaround, short of complying with your ISP's requirement to use their SMTP server.

        This, of course, is just one possibility. I have no way of knowing for certain that it *is* your ISP that's preventing your use of Yahoo's SMTP server, so please don't get angry if you have already investigated that possibility. I'm only trying to help! ;-)

        Art

        BTW ... If anyone cares, the restriction of Relaying is an effective measure taken by ISPs to reduce spam.

        call me old fashioned, but I tried to configure the pine email client
        to use Yahoo! email POP3 and SMTP settings with the latest pine
        http://www.washington.edu/pine/

        POP3 works just fine.

        SMTP does not work, did a search and it seems related to a bug in the
        server software used by Yahoo in implementing SMTP authentication.

        Here is some info I got from the Internet:

        > There is a patch available for qmail which fixes the bogus "334 ok,
        > go on" reponse that caused Pine to issue a "SMTP Authentication
        > cancelled" message.
        >
        > The patch and documentation can be found at:
        > http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/

        Has anyone found any workaround to get pine to use the yahoo! SMTP
        server?

        I could use another SMTP server, teh one of my ISP for instance, but
        it seems very strange to me that Yahoo! on one hand is pushing for
        email solutions to verify the email source (i.e. verify that the smtp
        sender actually owns the email domain in the From field) but at the
        same time they dont let me use their SMTP server (see qmail non-
        standard behaviour), forcing me to "fake" a Yahoo! "From address" and
        use my local SMTP instead.

        Thanks in advance.

        -- Paolo

        PS: send the same to the Yahoo! mail feedback form, but got no
        abnswers...

        Yahoo! Groups Links