Export / save / read and manage stored emails offline?

  • dcutchin
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2 12:32 PM
      Hi,

      Is there or will there be a way of exporting / saving / reading and
      managing offline the e-mail messages stored in my Yahoo mail folders?

      Thanks,

      DaveC
    • Chris Price
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3 5:23 AM
        Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all the messages down to a desktop email client.

        Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will change when the new version is released

        Chris.

        Is there or will there be a way of exporting / saving / reading and
        managing offline the e-mail messages stored in my Yahoo mail folders?

        Thanks,

        DaveC

        Expert advice Expert Advice
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

      • dcutchin
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3 10:56 AM
          Well, I often need to access my e-mail from "internet cafes" in
          remote parts of the world. That's why I switched from using POP3 /
          Outlook Express to using Yahoo mail. It seems to work everywhere.

          It did not occur to me that I would have so much trouble managing and
          backing up my voluminous e-mail files.

          Terminology has me confused. I pay for Yahoo Mail so I guess that I
          have "Mail Plus". But I recently switched to the Beta so maybe I no
          longer have Mail Plus and all of its features.

          Yahoo sent me some instructions for exporting individual messages,
          but the instructions do not work on my Beta. I sent Yahoo a request
          for clarification but have not received a reply.

          Thanks for your comments.

          DaveC

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all
          the messages down to a desktop email client.

          > Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will
          change when the new version is released

          > Chris.

          advice
          Expert
          Advice

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
          Service.

        • dcutchin
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3 12:48 PM
            I installed a utility called YPOPs which is supposed to give me
            access to my Yahoo messages and folders. However, Beta doesn't work
            with such programs.

            I feel strongly about being able to export my stored messages.

            How do I get out of Beta and back to my original Yahoo Mail Plus?

            DaveC

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

            > Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all
            the messages down to a desktop email client.

            > Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will
            change when the new version is released

            > Chris.

            advice
            Expert
            Advice

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
            Service.

          • Liz Yumrutepe
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3 3:09 PM
              switch back to the classic version , export what you need than switch back to beta

              http://www.kaplan.edu
              " Knowledge is the key to life "

              Well, I often need to access my e-mail from "internet cafes" in
              remote parts of the world. That's why I switched from using POP3 /
              Outlook Express to using Yahoo mail. It seems to work everywhere.

              It did not occur to me that I would have so much trouble managing and
              backing up my voluminous e-mail files.

              Terminology has me confused. I pay for Yahoo Mail so I guess that I
              have "Mail Plus". But I recently switched to the Beta so maybe I no
              longer have Mail Plus and all of its features.

              Yahoo sent me some instructions for exporting individual messages,
              but the instructions do not work on my Beta. I sent Yahoo a request
              for clarification but have not received a reply.

              Thanks for your comments.

              DaveC

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

              > Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all
              the messages down to a desktop email client.

              > Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will
              change when the new version is released

              > Chris.

              advice
              Expert
              Advice

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
              Service.

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

            • Michael Taylor-Judd
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3 4:09 PM
                As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management to "Archive Messages."

                I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

                Well, I often need to access my e-mail from "internet cafes" in
                remote parts of the world. That's why I switched from using POP3 /
                Outlook Express to using Yahoo mail. It seems to work everywhere.

                It did not occur to me that I would have so much trouble managing and
                backing up my voluminous e-mail files.

                Terminology has me confused. I pay for Yahoo Mail so I guess that I
                have "Mail Plus". But I recently switched to the Beta so maybe I no
                longer have Mail Plus and all of its features.

                Yahoo sent me some instructions for exporting individual messages,
                but the instructions do not work on my Beta. I sent Yahoo a request
                for clarification but have not received a reply.

                Thanks for your comments.

                DaveC

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

                > Sounds like you may want to use POP3 - that will let you pull all
                the messages down to a desktop email client.

                > Right now, that is a Mail Plus feature - we don't know if that will
                change when the new version is released

                > Chris.

                advice
                Expert
                Advice

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
                Service.

                Expert advice Expert Advice
                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

              • sasafrass452
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4 5:23 AM
                  If you're paying, yes, you have mail plus. You still have mail plus
                  even though you have the beta mail.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6 1:15 PM
                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "dcutchin" <dcutchi2@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Is there or will there be a way of exporting / saving / reading and
                    > managing offline the e-mail messages stored in my Yahoo mail
                    folders?

                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > DaveC

                    I think I have solved my problem with a little help from people on
                    the open "comp.mail.misc" newsgroup.

                    First I had to switch back to Mail Plus. Then I used the free
                    utility YPOPs to transfer my stored e-mails, one folder at a time, to
                    the IN box on my Outlook Express. YPOPs (and probably lots of other
                    POP mail programs) will not work with the new Mail Beta.

                    From the OE in-box I was able to file the messages into the folders
                    and subfolders I have set up on my computer.

                    I use Express Assist to help me backup and export my OE files.

                    I certainly hope that the final version of the new Yahoo mail allows
                    for easy downloading (exporting) of mail messages so they can be
                    viewed and managed offline.

                    I love the "web application" and storage model for personal
                    computing, but it is scary when one cannot back up important data
                    locally.

                    Thanks,

                    DaveC
                  • dcutchin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 6 1:21 PM
                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Michael Taylor-Judd <mickymse.geo@...>
                      wrote:

                      > As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-
                      hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management
                      to "Archive Messages."

                      > I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if
                      you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them
                      into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

                      I will try the "archive" feature under Options/Management and report
                      back.

                      But really, I am interested in liberating my stored e-mail files from
                      the control of Yahoo or single company. I don't want to
                      just "archive" them in some proprietary format which will limit my
                      options forever.

                      Thanks,
                      DaveC
                    • dcutchin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 6 1:37 PM
                        wrote:

                        > As a MailPlus user you can click on "Options" in the upper right-
                        hand corner. On the Options page, there is a link under Management
                        to "Archive Messages."

                        > I have never used it, so I can't vouch for how useful it is, but if
                        you're looking to back-up messages as opposed to downloading them
                        into another e-mail client with POP3 that should work...

                        OK, it works! I went to Options and found Archive. Pretty easy. It
                        will download, at least, individual messages right into my OE inbox.

                        Now I hope that the new Mail Beta retains that functionality. I
                        didn't see it when I checked; and now I have gone back to the
                        original Mail Plus. Little afraid to go forward to Mail Beta again.

                        Thanks,

                        DaveC
                      • louise lover

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 14 7:17 AM
                            Info on archiving Yahoo! Mail -->
                            http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/03/04/how-to-archive-years-of-y-
                            mail/

                            This is a service available to Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers.

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, louise lover <fit_babe_2005@...>