Try Thunderbird and IMAP

  • abono_de_lorca
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2013
      If you want a simple uncluttered interface to Yahoo (with tabs!) then try Thunderbird and access your email account(s) via IMAP.
      See http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_backup_my_yahoo_mail.html for instructions on how to do this.
      I've just linked my two Yahoo accounts to Thunderbird without problems.
      Emails sent to one or other of the Yahoo accounts appear almost instantly in the relevant Thunderbird inbox.
      Also when sending an email Thunderbird knows which account you are in and sends the email from the correct account.
      Worth a try!
    • mayaranger

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 17, 2013
          Try setting up your desktop client with these settings, & see if it works:
          http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_US&id=SLN4724

          **Sasafrass452**
          http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
          http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
          On 10/17/2013 08:10 AM, mayaranger@... wrote:

            I still cannot turn on POP or IMAP in my Standard YM. I go into Settings/Edit and have no options presented.

          ---In y-mail@yahoogroups.com, <dsimsj@...> wrote:

          If you want a simple uncluttered interface to Yahoo (with tabs!) then try Thunderbird and access your email account(s) via IMAP.
          See http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_backup_my_yahoo_mail.html for instructions on how to do this.
          I've just linked my two Yahoo accounts to Thunderbird without problems.
          Emails sent to one or other of the Yahoo accounts appear almost instantly in the relevant Thunderbird inbox.
          Also when sending an email Thunderbird knows which account you are in and sends the email from the correct account.
          Worth a try!

          Smileys Preview
          Get Free Smileys for Your IM & Email - Learn more at www.crawler.com/smileys
          Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk and most webmails
        • mayaranger
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 17, 2013

            I just tried the IMAP  access via Thunderbird after reading the excellent link above.  It works and I prefer it to a POP connection for the reasons given in the link.  I did not have to configure anything in my YM Settings.  It just works.  Thanks for the tip.

            ---In y-mail@yahoogroups.com, <mayaranger@...> wrote:

              I still cannot turn on POP or IMAP in my Standard YM. I go into Settings/Edit and have no options presented.

            ---In y-mail@yahoogroups.com, <dsimsj@...> wrote:

            If you want a simple uncluttered interface to Yahoo (with tabs!) then try Thunderbird and access your email account(s) via IMAP.
            See http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_backup_my_yahoo_mail.html for instructions on how to do this.
            I've just linked my two Yahoo accounts to Thunderbird without problems.
            Emails sent to one or other of the Yahoo accounts appear almost instantly in the relevant Thunderbird inbox.
            Also when sending an email Thunderbird knows which account you are in and sends the email from the correct account.
            Worth a try!
          • Chuck Neuenschwander
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 19, 2013

               Warning: Dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

                Looks to me, here, that most of my troubles are gone.  neoYM is working fine, seems faster and more reliable than the old version.
              I like the new Theme look very much except for having to click on CC to get to BCC, which I use often.

                My previous problem of having folder contents display empty has gone.

              Just now I clicked on InBox. It displayed. Then I clicked on Drafts and this email was there up to the very last word, waiting for me to pick up where I had been.

              Now that I'm used to it, when I'm in Folders, the symbols for Inbox and Compose (on the far left) are very convenient.

            • Jason M.
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 21, 2013
                To this I would add, my previous problem of being unable to use the keyboard arrows and the Page Up/Page Down buttons to navigate within an e-mail, have been resolved.  Yay!

                -Jason

                 Warning: Dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

                  Looks to me, here, that most of my troubles are gone.  neoYM is working fine, seems faster and more reliable than the old version.
                I like the new Theme look very much except for having to click on CC to get to BCC, which I use often.

                  My previous problem of having folder contents display empty has gone.

                Just now I clicked on InBox. It displayed. Then I clicked on Drafts and this email was there up to the very last word, waiting for me to pick up where I had been.

                Now that I'm used to it, when I'm in Folders, the symbols for Inbox and Compose (on the far left) are very convenient.

              • Rosita Iris Gosling
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 21, 2013
                Yes I agree getting better all the time but still long way to go to restore all features required, including providing myself with subject sorting and Flickr app. and a way of looking at e-mail attachment photos without opening mail.
                Has any one found a way of doing these tasks.
                 Thank you,
                  David.

                Message 8 of 9 , Oct 21, 2013
                  David,

                  You can sort by subject if you disable conversation mode.

                  Kenneth

                  [Attachment(s) from Rosita Iris Gosling included below]