Yahoo Screws Electronic Petitions

  • Chris J Brady
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2013
      I belong to a number of electronic petition websites - mainly concerning animal abuse &/or human rights.

      After signing each one - by logging in, having my name and address auto-filled, and then clicking on [Send] - I am then usually offered the additional option to send a short email to friends asking them to sign the petition too.

      So I click on [Email Your Friends]. This is then supposed to open the preferred / default mail system in Compose mode, insert a suitable Subject and short explanatory text into the Body.

      One such petition was at:

      https://www.allout.org/en/actions/cameroon-attacks-taf

      So I clicked on [Email Your Friends] behind which was the URL:

      http://compose.mail.yahoo.com/?Subj=Anti-gay%20violence%20in%20Cameroon%20-%20I've%20signed,%20can%20you?&Body="Hi, I’ve signed All Out’s petition to demand Cameroon’s President Paul Biya help stop anti-gay attacks, end the law that makes it a crime to be gay, and free all people in jail because of who they love." ... snip ...

      BUT ALL I GOT WAS A BLANK PAGE BECAUSE YAHOO - IN ITS QUESTIONABLE WISDOM - HAS CHANGED THE WAY IT COMPOSES EMAILS. NO LONGER IS IT POSSIBLE TO OPEN YAHOO MAIL IN COMPOSE MODE VIA A DYNAMICALLY GENERATED URL. SO NO LONGER IS IT POSSIBLE TO SEND EMAILS TO FRIENDS ABOUT ISSUES WHICH PETITIONS ARE TRYING TO ADDRESS AND GAIN SUPPORT FOR.

      AND - THIS PERTAINS TO ALL PETITION SITES. APPALLING.

      C.J.Brady
    • mike71423obrien
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013

        bet it was done to take a stab at spammers doing just what you are doing with nefarious motives. personally, anything and I mean anything it takes to cut down on the uninvited junk ideas from others is great!! Now, if they would make forwarding messages harder to more than 3 people, I would be for that also 100%.

        Folks, we are our own worst enemies on this spam problem that all of us carp about everyday and then turn right around and justify that what we are doing is OK.

        OK, turn on the flames!!! I really don't care anymore.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
          I feel sorry for you that electronic petitions about human rights and animal abuse etc. are regarded as spam.

          All the petition websites I belong to have been joined at my own free will.

          Have a nice day - and thank God that you're not in Nairobi right now.

          CJB.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
            No flames from me.  I totally agree with you.  I get people sending me those petition requests all the time.  They go straight to trash.  An online petition is not worth the paper it is written on.

            Lorrie

            Lorries Green World
            http://minilorrie.2itb.com
            Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
              How many online petitions have changed anything in this world??  Very few that I know of.

              Lorrie

              Lorries Green World
              http://minilorrie.2itb.com
              Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
                Hi Chris,

                I just want to let you know how I deal with letting my online friends know about petitions.  First, the only petition sites I use is Change and The Petition Site.  I get updates about petitions that I sign from both; but, especially from change.org.  If I want to share a petition, I just copy the URL before I have even logged in or signed.  Then after I sign it, I go back to my web mail and open a new email form and paste the URL in it.  I don't send the petition to everybody in my address book at the same time.  I only send the petition to those who might appreciate it.  Also, if I'm sending to more than one individual, I send the link to one person at a time and try and personlize my message to that person.  There's nothing worse than getting an email that starts off Greetings! I've just signed this petition....  How generic is that?

                It might mean extra work for you; but, it could mean that you get to share your petitions with those who share your interesting in protecting humans and animals.

                Donna

                "In every community there is work to be done. In every nation, there are wounds to heal. In every heart there is the power to do it."

                - Marianne Williamson
              • Nancy J
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
                  I don't agree about changing forwarding as there are times when I may want to forward a message for school to more than one person without having to use Box or whatever it's called.  Plus, what would my mom do if she couldn't forward junk to everyone she knows - she's retired so I forgive her!  LOL

                  But I have no problem with blocking the on-line petition thing.  I'd rather not have my email entered into a third party site - unless its ME doing so.  I never click the "send this article" links to friends either.  If I want to share - I copy the link and email the person one-on-one.  Or use Facebook.  Then its not SPAM - unless I'm sending to someone I don't know well...of course, I'll never know them well after that as they'll block me!  Rightly so.

                  L8!

                  Nancy J
                  "It only takes a moment to kill what we believe"
                  lyrics from "Time Falling Down"
                  www.cindyalexander.com