registering with Yahoo

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30 3:45 AM
      One of my online friends wanted to join a Yahoo group that I'm a member of; but, didn't have a Yahoo ID.  Anyway, he  goes through the registration form and has to enter a cell phone number.  Only thing is, he doesn't have a cell phone and he said that he tried to write all zeros.  The form said that it wasn't a valid phone number.   He didn't want to enter his land line number.  I never had to enter a cell phone number when I registered with Yahoo back in the 90s; so, I used my sister's number and changed the numbers a bit.  How does a person register for a Yahoo account if he doesn't have a cell phone?  It would be pretty easy to make up a random number; but, that random number could turn out to be somebody's actual phone number.

      Donna
    • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30 5:12 AM
        There is an option, in small print, to bypass entering a phone number.

        Cindy in Ohio
        Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix

        From: Donna <pnwfemale@...>

        One of my online friends wanted to join a Yahoo group that I'm a member of; but, didn't have a Yahoo ID.  Anyway, he  goes through the registration form and has to enter a cell phone number.  Only thing is, he doesn't have a cell phone and he said that he tried to write all zeros.  The form said that it wasn't a valid phone number.   He didn't want to enter his land line number.  I never had to enter a cell phone number when I registered with Yahoo back in the 90s; so, I used my sister's number and changed the numbers a bit.  How does a person register for a Yahoo account if he doesn't have a cell phone?  It would be pretty easy to make up a random number; but, that random number could turn out to be somebody's actual phone number.

        Donna

      • Chris J Brady
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30 5:37 AM
          There should be an opt out for this process. Apparently its for ensuring that if your account gets hacked and the password changed they can verify that the account was actually yours. Google has the same 'two step' process - but they allow you to opt out of this - at your risk. However providing a cell phone number is also valuable data - 'cos they also track the sites you visit. Then the cell phone number can be given to those sites for spamming you with marketing texts. Facebook is going to try the same nonsense. The weakness in this process is assuming that everyone has a cell / mobile phone. I know loads of folk who don't have one for many reasons; and some are even allergic to radiation. Its very bad commerce to lock out anyone who doesn't have a cell phone. CJB.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 30 7:13 AM
            My husband is hearing impaired. He could not use a cell if he wanted to. We have a landline (with caller ID) that I use. I also have a cell which I have set up call forward. I do not have caller ID in my cell unless the caller is in my cell phone book.

            My husband has a Yahoo email account along with a Gmail. He has never given a cell phone number. If he has to I put in the area code with 123-4567 and it takes LOL. I hope no one actually has that number! What would happen if I used 555-1234? LOL

            I do not give out my home phone number because it is unlisted and I really want to keep it that way!

            Donna Ford Lee  ♂+♀=♡
            Tulsa, OK

            Sent Via My iPhone

          • adeomus ********
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30 7:41 PM

               what if one uses a commercial number ?*:-? thinking
              chances are they would never call it anyway...

              adds

              -- George MacDonald

[...]

            • km
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 30 8:01 PM

                They actually send a text message to verify the change, so a regular number wouldn't work.

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30 8:02 PM
                  They send you a text with set of numbers to put in other wise that might work.

                  Donna Ford Lee
                  Tulsa, OK

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 31 10:45 AM
                    > Posted by: "Cindy Cozad-Rudinger" zadrud1@...
                    >
                    > There is an option, in small print, to bypass entering a phone number.

                    Where? I made a screenshot: http://lena.kiev.ua/yahooregphone.png
                    I don't see such option.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 6, 2013
                       darn...they think of every way to mess with us.

                      adds

                      -- George MacDonald