Re: [Y-Mail] New Yahoo Neo FF Mail corrupting embedded URLs

  • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
      Chris, just wondering about your example below.

      You had spaces after the slash:
      http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

      Does it make a difference if you don't put a space in?
      http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/LondonCyclistsMeetupGroup

      Cindy in Ohio
      Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix

      From: Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...>
      This also means that any URLs embedded in a paragraph of text might also get corrupted. Not good. CJB

      From: Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...>

      Just been trying to send some emails to friends with embedded URLs - but Yahoo is corrupting them.

      Example:

      http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/

      This is probably OK.

      But if I annotate it by adding " - London Cyclists Meetup Group" after the above URL it turns into:

      http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

      This corrupted URL of course does not work.

      CJB
    • lena_kiev
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
        > From: Shal Farley <shal@...>

        > In a plain text message body there is nothing Yahoo Mail could have done
        > to corrupt the URL.

        It changes some spaces to non-breaking spaces. If that happens just after
        an URL, receiver can linkify an URL with an extraneous symbol at the end.
      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
          Lena,

          > It changes some spaces to non-breaking spaces. If that happens just after
          > an URL, receiver can linkify an URL with an extraneous symbol at the end.

          Ick, really? In a message composed as plain text?

          I hadn't thought of that. I do see those NBSPs all the time in the
          text/plain parts of multipart messages from Yahoo Mail (which is bad
          enough IMO). I'll have to go back and look but I don't remember seeing
          any in Chris' example.

          Still though, my advice to use < and > as unambiguous delimiters stands.
          Using them would moot any subsequent tomfoolery with non-breaking spaces.

          -- Shal
        • Harryh
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
            If this is in regard to my complaints about corrupted messages, others have not complained.  Perhaps they use a different message delivery than I do.  I've not encountered the errors with any other service.

            All I know is that the corrupted messages all have missing header data which implies a routing issue within Yahoo.