Re: [Y-Mail] New Yahoo Neo FF Mail corrupting embedded URLs - 2

  • Chris J Brady
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
      In the below I have removed the http://www.meetup.com  [snip] in all examples in order that the examples themselves aren't corrupted I send the email as Plain text - NOT RTF.

      When I send this embedded URL:

      [snip] /londoncycling/

      plus annotated text " - London Cyclists Meetup Group" it gets turned into:

      [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

      or

      [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

      If I also send the email to myself aka Inbox again when opened the corruption is there.

      Having sent the email I check its contents in the Sent folder and the corruption is there.

      If I send this to Gmail too and when opened the email displays the corruption.

      CJB

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
        Chris, just wondering about your example below.

        You had spaces after the slash:
        http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

        Does it make a difference if you don't put a space in?
        http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/LondonCyclistsMeetupGroup

        Cindy in Ohio
        Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
          > From: Shal Farley <shal@...>

          > In a plain text message body there is nothing Yahoo Mail could have done
          > to corrupt the URL.

          It changes some spaces to non-breaking spaces. If that happens just after
          an URL, receiver can linkify an URL with an extraneous symbol at the end.
        • Shal Farley
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
            Lena,

            > It changes some spaces to non-breaking spaces. If that happens just after
            > an URL, receiver can linkify an URL with an extraneous symbol at the end.

            Ick, really? In a message composed as plain text?

            I hadn't thought of that. I do see those NBSPs all the time in the
            text/plain parts of multipart messages from Yahoo Mail (which is bad
            enough IMO). I'll have to go back and look but I don't remember seeing
            any in Chris' example.

            Still though, my advice to use < and > as unambiguous delimiters stands.
            Using them would moot any subsequent tomfoolery with non-breaking spaces.

            -- Shal
          • Harryh
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
              If this is in regard to my complaints about corrupted messages, others have not complained.  Perhaps they use a different message delivery than I do.  I've not encountered the errors with any other service.

              All I know is that the corrupted messages all have missing header data which implies a routing issue within Yahoo.