Re: [Y-Mail] New Yahoo Neo FF Mail corrupting embedded URLs

  • Chris J Brady
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
      In the below I have removed the http://www.meetup.com [snip] in all examples in order that the examples themselves aren't corrupted I send the email as Plain text - NIT RTF.

      When I send this embedded URL:

      [snip] /londoncycling/

      plus annotated text " - London Cyclists Meetup Group" it gets turned into:

      [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

      or

      [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

      I send this to Gmail too and this displays the corruption.

      Having sent the email I check its contents in the Sent folder and the corruption is there.

      If I also send the email to myself aka Inbox again when opened the corruption is there.

      CJB

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
        In the below I have removed the http://www.meetup.com  [snip] in all examples in order that the examples themselves aren't corrupted I send the email as Plain text - NOT RTF.

        When I send this embedded URL:

        [snip] /londoncycling/

        plus annotated text " - London Cyclists Meetup Group" it gets turned into:

        [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

        or

        [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

        If I also send the email to myself aka Inbox again when opened the corruption is there.

        Having sent the email I check its contents in the Sent folder and the corruption is there.

        If I send this to Gmail too and when opened the email displays the corruption.

        CJB

        ________________________________

        http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

        This corrupted URL of course does not work.

        CJB.

      • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
          Chris, just wondering about your example below.

          You had spaces after the slash:
          http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

          Does it make a difference if you don't put a space in?
          http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/LondonCyclistsMeetupGroup

          Cindy in Ohio
          Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
            > From: Shal Farley <shal@...>

            > In a plain text message body there is nothing Yahoo Mail could have done
            > to corrupt the URL.

            It changes some spaces to non-breaking spaces. If that happens just after
            an URL, receiver can linkify an URL with an extraneous symbol at the end.
          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
              Lena,

              > It changes some spaces to non-breaking spaces. If that happens just after
              > an URL, receiver can linkify an URL with an extraneous symbol at the end.

              Ick, really? In a message composed as plain text?

              I hadn't thought of that. I do see those NBSPs all the time in the
              text/plain parts of multipart messages from Yahoo Mail (which is bad
              enough IMO). I'll have to go back and look but I don't remember seeing
              any in Chris' example.

              Still though, my advice to use < and > as unambiguous delimiters stands.
              Using them would moot any subsequent tomfoolery with non-breaking spaces.

              -- Shal
            • Harryh
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
                If this is in regard to my complaints about corrupted messages, others have not complained.  Perhaps they use a different message delivery than I do.  I've not encountered the errors with any other service.

                All I know is that the corrupted messages all have missing header data which implies a routing issue within Yahoo.