Re: [Y-Mail] New Yahoo Neo FF Mail corrupting embedded URLs

  • Henrique C. S. Junior
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4 5:52 AM
      Seems OK to me and it is working.
      What is your browser?

      ---
      Henrique C. S. Junior

      From: Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...>
      To: Y-Mail <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, August 3, 2013 7:28 PM
      Subject: [Y-Mail] New Yahoo Neo FF Mail corrupting embedded URLs

      Just been trying to send some emails to friends with embedded URLs - but Yahoo is corrupting them.

      Example:

      http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/

      This is probably OK.

      But if I annotate it by adding " - London Cyclists Meetup Group" after the above URL it turns into:

      http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

      This corrupted URL of course does not work.

      CJB.

    • Chris J Brady
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4 9:49 AM
        This also means that any URLs embedded in a paragraph of text might also get corrupted. Not good. CJB

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4 10:45 AM
          Chris,

          > Just been trying to send some emails to friends with embedded URLs - but
          > Yahoo is corrupting them.
          > http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

          In a plain text message body there is nothing Yahoo Mail could have done to corrupt the URL. It is up to the receiving email system to "linkify" a plain-text URL. Some don't at all, some use obsolete standards for what characters may be included in an URL, and some just get it wrong. In my case, Eudora Classic included the space and hypen, so it was wrong.

          For this reason, I always delimit URLs with angle-brackets when sending them in plain text.

          <http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/> - London Cyclists Meetup Group

          -- Shal
        • Chris J Brady
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4 11:45 AM
            In the below I have removed the http://www.meetup.com [snip] in all examples in order that the examples themselves aren't corrupted I send the email as Plain text - NIT RTF.

            When I send this embedded URL:

            [snip] /londoncycling/

            plus annotated text " - London Cyclists Meetup Group" it gets turned into:

            [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

            or

            [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

            I send this to Gmail too and this displays the corruption.

            Having sent the email I check its contents in the Sent folder and the corruption is there.

            If I also send the email to myself aka Inbox again when opened the corruption is there.

            CJB

            ________________________________
            I received your link in both places of the email just fine.  No corruption on this end.

            Kenneth

            ________________________________

            http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/%c2%a0- London Cyclists Meetup Group

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4 11:50 AM
              In the below I have removed the http://www.meetup.com  [snip] in all examples in order that the examples themselves aren't corrupted I send the email as Plain text - NOT RTF.

              When I send this embedded URL:

              [snip] /londoncycling/

              plus annotated text " - London Cyclists Meetup Group" it gets turned into:

              [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

              or

              [snip] /londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

              If I also send the email to myself aka Inbox again when opened the corruption is there.

              Having sent the email I check its contents in the Sent folder and the corruption is there.

              If I send this to Gmail too and when opened the email displays the corruption.

              CJB

              ________________________________
              I received your link in both places of the email just fine.  No corruption on this end.

              Kenneth

              ________________________________
              Just been trying to send some emails to friends with embedded URLs - but Yahoo is corrupting them.

              Example:

              http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/

              This is probably OK.

              But if I annotate it by adding " - London Cyclists Meetup Group" after the above URL it turns into:

              http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

              This corrupted URL of course does not work.

              CJB.

            • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5 8:04 AM
                Chris, just wondering about your example below.

                You had spaces after the slash:
                http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/ - London Cyclists Meetup Group

                Does it make a difference if you don't put a space in?
                http://www.meetup.com/londoncycling/LondonCyclistsMeetupGroup

                Cindy in Ohio
                Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5 8:17 AM
                  > From: Shal Farley <shal@...>

                  > In a plain text message body there is nothing Yahoo Mail could have done
                  > to corrupt the URL.

                  It changes some spaces to non-breaking spaces. If that happens just after
                  an URL, receiver can linkify an URL with an extraneous symbol at the end.
                • Shal Farley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5 10:49 AM
                    Lena,

                    > It changes some spaces to non-breaking spaces. If that happens just after
                    > an URL, receiver can linkify an URL with an extraneous symbol at the end.

                    Ick, really? In a message composed as plain text?

                    I hadn't thought of that. I do see those NBSPs all the time in the
                    text/plain parts of multipart messages from Yahoo Mail (which is bad
                    enough IMO). I'll have to go back and look but I don't remember seeing
                    any in Chris' example.

                    Still though, my advice to use < and > as unambiguous delimiters stands.
                    Using them would moot any subsequent tomfoolery with non-breaking spaces.

                    -- Shal
                  • Harryh
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5 2:25 PM
                      If this is in regard to my complaints about corrupted messages, others have not complained.  Perhaps they use a different message delivery than I do.  I've not encountered the errors with any other service.

                      All I know is that the corrupted messages all have missing header data which implies a routing issue within Yahoo.