Re: [Y-Mail] Seizure of a group without following Yahoo protocols.

  • Bill Todd
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2013
      he should be stopped in his tracks, its highly illegal

      On 24 July 2013 15:20, RichW <richwebber@...> wrote:

      In the case of an '”abandoned” group, Yahoo will do this for the group to assign a new owner, moderator.
      This should be the only way a group can be taken over by anyone other than the original owner.

      I’ve been trying to track the hacker and he may be a software tech for IBM in Haifa, Israel.
      He uses the name, “Israel Dubinsky'” and declares a “we” that “rules the world”.

      Terrorist?

      Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:30 PM
      Subject: Re: [Y-Mail] Seizure of a group without following Yahoo protocols.

      At 10:57 AM 7/23/2013, you wrote:
      >there was no group vote to replace the list owner.

      That is not possible unless the owner sponsors the vote and follows
      through with the conclusions of the vote.

    • RichW

        Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:30 PM

        At 10:57 AM 7/23/2013, you wrote:
        >there was no group vote to replace the list owner.

        That is not possible unless the owner sponsors the vote and follows
        through with the conclusions of the vote.

      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 24, 2013
          Rich,

          > A favorite group has be seized by an imposter posing as the legitimate
          > list owner.

          What do you mean "posing as"? Do you mean the imposter is using the owner's ID and email address?

          > How can this happen? It was not abandoned and there was no group vote
          > to replace the list owner.

          If the owner was tricked into revealing his or her password (phished), if the owner chose a password that was guessed, if the owner's computer was compromised and his or her password stolen...

          > Has some entity developed the means to hack groups in this manner and
          > what is Yahoo doing about it?

          There has been a rash of compromised Yahoo accounts over the last several months. Notably this has resulted in large quantities of malicious messages being sent from the victims' accounts. It is possible that such an attacker could take control of a Yahoo Group if they happened upon a victim that is a group owner.

          > In the case of an "abandoned" group, Yahoo will do this for the
          > group to assign a new owner, moderator.

          Yahoo's policies don't allow assigning a new owner, only a new moderator.

          > This should be the only way a group can be taken over by anyone other
          > than the original owner.

          The most likely scenario would be a take-over of the owner's account. Compare carefully the ID shown for any messages posted by the imposter to that of the original owner. If it is the same, then there's your answer.

          -- Shal