Re: [Y-Mail] Seizure of a group without following Yahoo protocols.

  • Sasafrass452
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
      Sounds like the owner's account was simply hacked. It happens to many people both inside & outside of Yahoo. The owner needs to report it to Yahoo & change the password immediately.

      **Sasafrass452**
      http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
      http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
      On 07/23/2013 10:57 AM, Rich wrote:

      A favorite group has be seized by an imposter posing as the legitimate list owner.

      How can this happen? It was not abandoned and there was no group vote to replace the list owner.

      Has some entity developed the means to hack groups in this manner and what is Yahoo doing about it?

    • elizabeth_35674
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
        Isn't the owner aware of it?

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <richwebber@...> wrote:

        > A favorite group has be seized by an imposter posing as the legitimate list owner.
        >
        > How can this happen? It was not abandoned and there was no group vote to replace the list owner.
        >
        > Has some entity developed the means to hack groups in this manner and what is Yahoo doing about it?

      • Gene Ehrich
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
          At 10:57 AM 7/23/2013, you wrote:
          >there was no group vote to replace the list owner.

          That is not possible unless the owner sponsors the vote and follows
          through with the conclusions of the vote.
        • RichW
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
            I assume the list owner does know.  It was an active group.   I found another group he’s taken over also with the exact same wording re-written in the groups description.  He appears to be a Jewish activist and had the nerve to say “they” were taking over all the Yahoo groups they can that don’t meet with their approval (i.e. pro Zionist).   Yahoo has yet to respond to my questions.

            Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:08 PM
            Subject: [Y-Mail] Re: Seizure of a group without following Yahoo protocols.

            Isn't the owner aware of it?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 24, 2013
              In the case of an '”abandoned” group, Yahoo will do this for the group to assign a new owner, moderator.
              This should be the only way a group can be taken over by anyone other than the original owner.

              I’ve been trying to track the hacker and he may be a software tech for IBM in Haifa, Israel.
              He uses the name, “Israel Dubinsky'” and declares a “we” that “rules the world”.

              Terrorist?

              Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:30 PM

              At 10:57 AM 7/23/2013, you wrote:

              >there was no group vote to replace
              the list owner.

              That is not possible unless the owner sponsors the vote and follows
              through with the conclusions of the vote.

            • Bill Todd

                Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:30 PM

                  Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:30 PM

                  At 10:57 AM 7/23/2013, you wrote:
                  >there was no group vote to replace the list owner.

                  That is not possible unless the owner sponsors the vote and follows
                  through with the conclusions of the vote.

                • Shal Farley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 24, 2013
                    Rich,

                    > A favorite group has be seized by an imposter posing as the legitimate
                    > list owner.

                    What do you mean "posing as"? Do you mean the imposter is using the owner's ID and email address?

                    > How can this happen? It was not abandoned and there was no group vote
                    > to replace the list owner.

                    If the owner was tricked into revealing his or her password (phished), if the owner chose a password that was guessed, if the owner's computer was compromised and his or her password stolen...

                    > Has some entity developed the means to hack groups in this manner and
                    > what is Yahoo doing about it?

                    There has been a rash of compromised Yahoo accounts over the last several months. Notably this has resulted in large quantities of malicious messages being sent from the victims' accounts. It is possible that such an attacker could take control of a Yahoo Group if they happened upon a victim that is a group owner.

                    > In the case of an "abandoned" group, Yahoo will do this for the
                    > group to assign a new owner, moderator.

                    Yahoo's policies don't allow assigning a new owner, only a new moderator.

                    > This should be the only way a group can be taken over by anyone other
                    > than the original owner.

                    The most likely scenario would be a take-over of the owner's account. Compare carefully the ID shown for any messages posted by the imposter to that of the original owner. If it is the same, then there's your answer.

                    -- Shal