Hanging up due to complexity of Javascript code

  • Chris J Brady
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2013
      Nero FF is chock full of dynamic Javascript. Screeds of it. It is fixed code and dynamically generated code.

      Most users have Javscript switched on for their browser of choice. Few users have a Javascript editor for swtiching to when there us a 'bug.'

      In the latter case if a webpage uses extensive Javascript and then suddenly hits a 'bug' in the code, the editor automatically switches in so that the 'bug' can be corrected or ignored.

      However for most users without an editor when things go wrong - that is when clicking on a folder suddenly does nothing, or clicking on Send or Draft does nothing, or Delete does nothing, etc. - I think that what has happened is that Javascript has hit a 'bug' just before. This has tried to open up an editor for the 'bug' to be resolved. However not finding an editor the default option of 'do nothing' has been invoked.

      Unfortunately 'do nothing' also means an that an error flag has been set which disables or terminates the execution of the Javascript code - for all time until refreshed. That's why clicks on folders or Send etc. fail to work. They are ignored because the execution of the Javascript behind them has been terminated.

      Refreshing the page aka Inbox - by refreshing the address bar (usually F7) - means that the page is regenerated with a clean reset version of the Javascript.

      This is a function of the complexity of the Javascript code invoked by Nero FF.

      Yahoo Mail would have been far better based on compiled Java applets. This would have been far more reliable in execution than screeds of Javascript code in plain text. The latter relies on a fault-free download from the server of screeds of text code and an interpreter.

      CJB.
    • Chris J Brady
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22, 2013
        P.S.The screeds of Javascipt which has to be interpreted is another reason why Nero FF is so slow. This is especially if you have a slow Notebook like mine. CJB.
      • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 22, 2013
          ...not "Nero," CB.

          Cindy in Ohio

          Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix

        • Shal Farley
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 22, 2013
            Chris,

            > Yahoo Mail would have been far better based on compiled Java applets.

            I wouldn't use it. I evicted Java from my computers with extreme prejudice, after the umpteen-thousandth zero day exploit.

            > This would have been far more reliable in execution than screeds of
            > Javascript code in plain text. The latter relies on a fault-free
            > download from the server of screeds of text code and an interpreter.

            I'm not sure this conclusion is warranted. HTTP is layered on TCP, so it isn't as if it lacks for reliable transport.

            -- Shal
          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 22, 2013
              Chri,

              > P.S.The screeds of Javascipt which has to be interpreted is another
              > reason why Nero FF is so slow. This is especially if you have a slow
              > Notebook like mine.

              That may well be true, especially if your system is low on memory. Here's a rather long and esoteric read, but worthwhile if you're interested in such things and should-be-required if your are a mobile app developer.
              <<http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/>http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/>

              -- Shal
            • Harryh
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2013
                Wow.  What an article.  An interesting read and clear reasons for JS limitations on mobile platforms.

                    Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com