Re: [Y-Mail] Nero FF Still Deleting Wanted Emails

  • Chris J Brady
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19 6:43 AM
      Yes but the dustbin icon is slow to move - its positioning is dynamic. So sometimes it gets left behind against a non-checked email. Then clicking on 'delete' deletes that email even if it is still wanted. CJB.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19 8:52 AM
        Chris,

        For some reason I hadn't noticed the trash icons in each row of the message list until you pointed them out.  I don't know if I'll use that delete option much but I rather like it.

        Consider, if I want to delete multiple emails, I can use the check boxes and then select the trash icon at the top.  If it's just one email I want to delete, I can do the same thing.  But that's two clicks to delete one email.  The trash icon at the end of the row saves me a click for deleting a single email.

        Sometimes it's neither crazy nor appalling to offer alternative methods of accomplishing something.  We may not use the other methods, but someone else may.

        Kenneth

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19 10:23 AM
              Chris,

              > Yes but the dustbin icon is slow to move - its positioning is
              > dynamic. So sometimes it gets left behind against a non-checked
              > email. Then clicking on 'delete' deletes that email even if it is
              > still wanted.

              I suspect that the behavior of the dustbins over on the right are a red
              herring. That is, they don't represent a state of anything, they are
              immediate action buttons.

              Rather, you seem to be experiencing some kind of disagreement between
              the displayed checkboxes and the selection of messages actually deleted.
              I can't guess whether that's a screen refresh issue or some kind of
              programming bug in the JavaScript of the page, or a failure in the
              communication between the page in the browser and the server-side
              databases or some subtle PEBCAK issue.

              Can you find a recipe that causes the failure reliably, or with the
              highest probability? Also report any other factors that might be
              relevant, such as browser and OS version and even Yahoo Mail version
              (Alt+click the Yahoo! Mail logo in the upper left corner).

              For example, I tried the simple test of checking one message, then using
              Shift+click to extend that to a range of about a dozen messages, then
              Ctrl+click to uncheck one message near the middle of the range. When I
              clicked the delete button at the top the correct thing happened: all but
              the unselected message were deleted.

              Chrome Version 28.0.1500.72 m on WinXP Pro SP3
              Neo Version:
              Build number: 2.51.0.8636
              Build time: Thu Jul 18 16:29:19 PDT 2013

              Hostname: cg45.c6.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

              -- Shal
            • Shal Farley
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19 11:09 AM
                Chris,

                > Yes but the dustbin icon is slow to move - its positioning is dynamic.
                > So sometimes it gets left behind against a non-checked email.

                Just to be clear, the dustbin icon is present but shown in light gray on
                every email in the list, as are the star and the selection box. Those
                elements display in slightly darker gray on the row where the cursor is
                currently hovering.

                Do you see a different behavior?

                No matter how frantically I zip the mouse up and down I don't see any
                lag between the cursor motion and the darkening of those elements. I
                don't really perceive the dustbin as moving, so much as the darkening
                following the cursor. From your description there may be something going
                on with the performance of JavaScript in your browser.

                -- Shal