Re: [Y-Mail] Nero FF Still Deleting Wanted Emails

  • Sasafrass452
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
      The dustbin icon is simply to delete a single message with one click, without having to check the box first. That's how it's supposed to work.

      **Sasafrass452**
      http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
      http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
      On 07/19/2013 06:04 AM, Chris J Brady wrote:

      This is a pain. Google Mail allows you to check-mark certain emails, then click the 'delete' button and only they are deleted.

      Nero FF uses check-mark boxes AND a dustbin icon. However they don't always agree. There is always a dustbin icon against an email by default. Clicking the 'delete' button deletes that email EVEN IF THERE IS NO CHECK MARK AGAINST IT.

      This is crazy design. Either use a check-mark system (which is intuitive) OR a dustbin icon - but NOT BOTH. Appalling design.

      CJB.

    • Chris J Brady
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
        Yes but the dustbin icon is slow to move - its positioning is dynamic. So sometimes it gets left behind against a non-checked email. Then clicking on 'delete' deletes that email even if it is still wanted. CJB.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
          Chris,

          For some reason I hadn't noticed the trash icons in each row of the message list until you pointed them out.  I don't know if I'll use that delete option much but I rather like it.

          Consider, if I want to delete multiple emails, I can use the check boxes and then select the trash icon at the top.  If it's just one email I want to delete, I can do the same thing.  But that's two clicks to delete one email.  The trash icon at the end of the row saves me a click for deleting a single email.

          Sometimes it's neither crazy nor appalling to offer alternative methods of accomplishing something.  We may not use the other methods, but someone else may.

          Kenneth

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
                Chris,

                > Yes but the dustbin icon is slow to move - its positioning is
                > dynamic. So sometimes it gets left behind against a non-checked
                > email. Then clicking on 'delete' deletes that email even if it is
                > still wanted.

                I suspect that the behavior of the dustbins over on the right are a red
                herring. That is, they don't represent a state of anything, they are
                immediate action buttons.

                Rather, you seem to be experiencing some kind of disagreement between
                the displayed checkboxes and the selection of messages actually deleted.
                I can't guess whether that's a screen refresh issue or some kind of
                programming bug in the JavaScript of the page, or a failure in the
                communication between the page in the browser and the server-side
                databases or some subtle PEBCAK issue.

                Can you find a recipe that causes the failure reliably, or with the
                highest probability? Also report any other factors that might be
                relevant, such as browser and OS version and even Yahoo Mail version
                (Alt+click the Yahoo! Mail logo in the upper left corner).

                For example, I tried the simple test of checking one message, then using
                Shift+click to extend that to a range of about a dozen messages, then
                Ctrl+click to uncheck one message near the middle of the range. When I
                clicked the delete button at the top the correct thing happened: all but
                the unselected message were deleted.

                Chrome Version 28.0.1500.72 m on WinXP Pro SP3
                Neo Version:
                Build number: 2.51.0.8636
                Build time: Thu Jul 18 16:29:19 PDT 2013

                Hostname: cg45.c6.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

                -- Shal
              • Shal Farley
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
                  Chris,

                  > Yes but the dustbin icon is slow to move - its positioning is dynamic.
                  > So sometimes it gets left behind against a non-checked email.

                  Just to be clear, the dustbin icon is present but shown in light gray on
                  every email in the list, as are the star and the selection box. Those
                  elements display in slightly darker gray on the row where the cursor is
                  currently hovering.

                  Do you see a different behavior?

                  No matter how frantically I zip the mouse up and down I don't see any
                  lag between the cursor motion and the darkening of those elements. I
                  don't really perceive the dustbin as moving, so much as the darkening
                  following the cursor. From your description there may be something going
                  on with the performance of JavaScript in your browser.

                  -- Shal