Re: [Y-Mail] Re: New Yahoo Mail Basic - How to select all emails on screen and where is yahoo notes?

  • adeomus ********
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 18, 2013
      they open on their own after one reads the previous one...
      and if one clicks on the back button, it goes to the inbox, not the previous email.

      this is another defect that classic did not have.
      it actually went to the previously viewed page !

      also..the reason i want to hilight the whole inbox page ( all 200 of the posts) is that i don't want to read all the mail...
      when owning groups one does not have time to read all the posts and modding requests.
      i check the home pages for pendings, then delete the voluminous requests on the inbox...
      only checking the random ones from the inbox that pop up as my  session online goes on.

      glitches are much more common now too ( a real trick, imo..).
      even when "googling" stuff, i get blank pages frequently......

      adds

      -- George MacDonald

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 18, 2013
        Yahoo! Notes?  If you mean Notepad, it should be under Applications in the left sidebar.

      • Bruce Lund
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013
          >>>Why are you opening emails that you don't want to read yet?

          Just because I want to read them doesn't mean they are my most important email or that I should read them NOW.

          I get a lot of email. A lot.. I am a member of a lot of groups (like this one) and also moderate some. Which means that I could have dozens of emails to sort through. As a moderator, I consider it important that I respond to requests for memberships and moderation. But that doesn't mean they should have priority over business emails or one from Ed McMahon. But I know I need to deal with them so I would open them in a new tab while still scrolling down through my messages. If nothing else, it meant that I would not have to wait in front of my computer screen while the email took it's sweet time opening. It would open itself in its own time while I continued to sort through my inbox.

          I liken it to snail mail after I arrive back from vacation. My mailbox (inbox) is stuffed. So I do triage. One stack is what I know I want to see. (Opened in new tab.) One stack is "Not right now. Or maybe never." (Not opened.) The nice thing with Yahoo Mail there is even a third category, "Leisure Reading", starred emails to look at when I get a chance. Could be related to professional learning. Could be an upcoming event that might be of interest. But the point is that it is not necessary for me to open it but I can go back later and look at my starred emails for future reference.

          So, I have gone through the whole stack of emails (mail) in a short amount of time and I have identified all of the emails (mail) that I want to deal with at that seating. But this is the critical part. While I am sorting out the emails (mail) I am dealing with, I can pick and choose the ones that I want to look at right now and "rip open the envelope" (look at that tab right now.) Could be an urgent message from a client. Could be payment information. (Who doesn't open a payment from a known party?) Could be an email from my high school sweetheart.

          The point is that you would NEVER open snail mail in the order in which it is stacked. You do an initial screening to figure out what is there. Ditto for Yahoo mail. To do what you are suggesting would require that I either deal with emails in the order they are in my inbox (mailbox.) Or that I would scroll up and down in my inbox to locate the most pressing ones, open, and then scroll up and down some more, open, and then scroll up and down some more, open, then scroll up and down some more, open, etc., etc., etc..

          Opening in new tabs is an organizational tool. It allows me to set aside those emails (envelopes) that I want to read in this session. And it allowed me to open, read and act on those of critical importance immediately without forcing me to deal with all of the intervening email (envelopes) which might be of interest but not pressing enough for me to grab the letter opener. Your method suggests that all messages are created equally. They are not. Some can be set aside (in a new tab) and be dealt with in 10 minutes, in an hour, or in 3 hours. Some must/should be dealt with on a more timely basis. I shouldn't have to wade through and deal with all of the kinda important email, as you suggest, to get to the ones that are real important.

          Bruce Lund

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013
            >>>It
            just doesn't seem that bad to me

            Can you be any more dismissive? I write a long, detailed explanation and that is how you start your response?

            >>> When I click on an email in the inbox, I expect the view to change to show me that email and not keep me in the inbox "so I can continue to scan down."  I think that's what you said you expect but perhaps I misunderstood.

            Yes, that is what I expect. As I mentioned in other responses I made on this thread, there are messages I want to read in my current session, but not necessarily NOW! As I said, I don't read my snail mail in the order it is in my mailbox. I sort through and make a stack of mail I want to open, but I also reserve the right  to stop and read one right now. I just don't want to be forced to look at one that is in my "to read" stack as soon as I set it in the stack. Plus, I don't want to wait while that email opens. By opening in a new tab, it is opening "in the background" (Thanks for that phrase, Shal.) without wasting my time. And it also allows me to continue scanning my inbox for more pressing emails.

            >>>Anyway I don't know how Yahoo! can satisfy everyone's expectations and I hope they don't try to satisfy some of those that people have expressed.

            I would agree that some suggestions might not work for everybody. But this is not an either/or situation. This is not a case where if I get what I want you will lose what you have. To the contrary, in Classic it was always available and you were probably not even aware of it much less adversely effected. (Although it did work better in FF than IE.) It is the same situation here. What I would gain here would cost you nothing. It is baffling to me why ANY company, on ANY website, would willingly abandon what I consider to be one of the most powerful tools in its arsenal, to be able to open links on a page in a new tab without having to leave the original page. And for a company like Yahoo, that supposedly wants to be a player, to give up a tool it has used for a decade baffles me.

            >>>If
            they can just get this weird scrolling view in folders to work with multiple email selection from their drop-down selector then I think the greatest problem will have been addressed.

            I don't know, Kenneth. It just doesn't seem that bad to me . . .

            Bruce Lund

            It just doesn't seem that bad to me but then we all have to evaluate Yahoo! Mail based on our own expectations.  When I click on an email in the inbox, I expect the view to change to show me that email and not keep me in the inbox "so I can continue to scan down."  I think that's what you said you expect but perhaps I misunderstood.

            Anyway I don't know how Yahoo! can satisfy everyone's expectations and I hope they don't try to satisfy some of those that people have expressed.  If they can just get this weird scrolling view in folders to work with multiple email selection from their drop-down selector then I think the greatest problem will have been addressed.

            Kenneth

> [...]

            Does that answer your question, Shal?

            Bruce Lund

            PS I tried right clicking an email and opening in a new tab and all it did was open a new tab with the same inbox. I could conceivably open a ton of tabs with an inbox and then open individual emails in each tab, but it would be incredibly clumsy. I do thank you for your effort. It really is appreciated. I am just incredibly frustrated that they would take away something that was near perfect and give us something that is virtually worthless for me. Who does that?

            PSS Search is worthless. Classic search could be a challenge at times, but my success with the new search has been almost as bad as Classic was good. It seems to exclude results of incoming emails in 2013. What the ****!

          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013
              Bruce,

              > It is baffling to me why ANY company, on ANY website, would willingly
              > abandon what I consider to be one of the most powerful tools in its
              > arsenal, to be able to open links on a page in a new tab without having
              > to leave the original page.

              Part of the answer is that they didn't make links of the message subjects. So they didn't get that browser behavior for free. In classic they did, but the browser behavior based on them being links isn't part of Yahoo's code -- so it may never have been enumerated as a feature of the product. So I'm suggesting a kind of tunnel-vision based on a formal specification.

              Mind you, I've never seen Yahoo's code so that speculation could be all wrong. The other possibility is that the link-like behavior was implemented in the JavaScript of the Classic page rather than in simply making the subject lines HTML links.

              > And for a company like Yahoo, that supposedly wants to be a player, to
              > give up a tool it has used for a decade baffles me.

              As one of my coworkers is fond of saying, it is difficult to see what isn't there.
              `
              That's why I think a lucid explanation of what went missing and why it was important might be compelling enough for them to adopt the suggestion. Somewhere a programmer might have a "face-palm" moment of recognition.

              -- Shal
            • Bruce Lund
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013

                >>>they open on their own after one reads the previous one...
                and if one clicks on the back button, it goes to the inbox, not the previous email.

                >>>this is another defect that classic did not have.
                it actually went to the previously viewed page !

                When I originally read this, I was thinking you were talking about where Classic would go if, say, you deleted an email. That was a preference. But rereading it, you are saying the button sends you to the inbox? WTF? Browsers have the ability to go to the "right place" built in. So again, you have to wonder, why does Yahoo try to reinvent the wheel, and when doing so make it square? All they would have to do is use the already available browser functions.

                GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

                Bruce Lund

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013

                  adds