From great to terrible

  • lswig
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2013
      I have used Yahoo! Mail Plus Classic for many years.  I have always recommended it to others because it has been clean and fast with an excellent user interface, plus some advanced features which no other service has had.  As each new version appeared, I tried it out but always went back to the old classic version.  Nothing else has ever compared to it. When users were forced to accept the newest version a few weeks ago, I wanted to give Yahoo! the benefit of the doubt and hoped the latest version would retain all the pluses of the old Classic while making it even faster than it had been.  After several weeks of using it, I am as disappointed and irritated as so many others who have commented here.  In addition to the issues already mentioned, I want to add that:

      1.  The new Yahoo! mail does not have the wonderful advanced search function that was available in the old version.  Search is just awful now and it takes so many steps for the user to find the requested items, if Search can find them at all.  The old advanced Search allowed the user to select multiple search attributes all at one time and was so much more efficient and effective.

      2. One of the pluses of Yahoo! Mail was the disposable address feature.  The old Classic allowed the user to choose a color code for a disposable address.  This handy feature made it a snap to tell which emails in the Inbox were for any disposable address as opposed to regular email - an easy to see color code.  Although Yahoo! implied the color codes would be part of later versions after Classic, they never were and they are not now, even though disposable addresses are still in existence.

      3.  They moved the flag. Or rather they replaced the flag with a star and then moved it.  I don't care whether it is a flag or a star but I am annoyed that the position has been changed.  It was very convenient and fast to have the flag in the far left column of a message list because it provided a quick and easy way to mark the important messages.  With the star moved to the right now, it takes additional time both to mark the messages and to view them later to identify their importance.

      4. One of the features most conspicuous in its absence is the message size column that existed previously in Classic.  It was one of the most valuable attributes as it allowed the user to very quickly arrange all messages by size, especially those with attachments, and to determine if any big ones should be deleted before using pop to retrieve the mail.

      5. Previously the user could make one simple click to see the full header on any message.  And it was possible to print the message with the full header if desired.  Now it is necessary to go to Actions and then click on full header at which point a hard-to-read pop-up appears with the full header.  No way to include it with the message.

      The above are in addition to some of the things mentioned by others: speed issues, unpleasant scrolling rather than pages, occasional blank screens, unexpected deletions, etc.  It is almost as though somebody really attempted to destroy Yahoo! Mail. Unfortunately for users, the attempt has been quite successful so far.

      lswig
    • Harryh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2013
        Much to agree with here.  IMHO Yahoo decided that touch screen and mobile was the future and had their programmers work on feature sets suited to those platforms.  The features associated with Classic apparently they considered to be obsolete (like many of us).

        I have used Yahoo! Mail Plus Classic for many years.  I have always recommended it to others because it has been clean and fast with an excellent user interface, plus some advanced features which no other service has had.
        <snip>
        1.  The new Yahoo! mail does not have the wonderful advanced search function that was available in the old version.

        The neo search does allow operators, but the search scope includes everything (all folders) by default.  The Classic interface allowed easier scope reduction.  I often wondered how many users preferred limited search by default.

        <snip>

        4. One of the features most conspicuous in its absence is the message size column that existed previously in Classic.

        This omission is greatly missed.  It was a quick way to evaluate messages.  The attachments ordering selection provides much less information.

        5. Previously the user could make one simple click to see the full header on any message.  And it was possible to print the message with the full header if desired.

        Apparently only geeks need to understand headers.  Headers were useful to evaluate message source.

        The above are in addition to some of the things mentioned by others: speed issues, unpleasant scrolling rather than pages, occasional blank screens, unexpected deletions, etc.  It is almost as though somebody really attempted to destroy Yahoo! Mail. Unfortunately for users, the attempt has been quite successful so far.

        More than agree.  Sadly there is no hourglass or activity indicator to give user feedback that a command was being processed.

      • adeomus ********
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2013

           ditto and ditto.....*:( sad
          adds