Re: [Y-Mail] Re: New Yahoo Mail Basic - How to select all emails on screen and where is yahoo notes?

  • adeomus ********
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 13, 2013
      sorry, full featured does not have it.
      it only selects about 50 messages at a time, not the whole page...why ??

      yet another backward step by yahoo.

      adds

      -- George MacDonald

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 13, 2013
        >>>There's little reason to be using Basic other than being unable or unwilling to use Javascript in your browser.

        Unless you want to open emails in a new browser tab. The feature was available in Classic. It is available in Basic. But inexplicably it is not available in their flagship product.

        Whatever other quibbles I might have, this is a deal killer. I can use Basic while giving up some functionality. Or I can use their new and disapproved product and give up what I consider to be the most important tool available. If somebody could point me to a service that performed like Classic, I would not hesitate to make the move and leave Yahoo in my rearview mirror.

        Bruce Lund

        What you're looking for isn't a feature of Basic.  It's a feature of Full-Featured Yahoo! Mail.  Mail Classic had it and Full-Featured has it.  So try using Full-Featured instead.  There's little reason to be using Basic other than being unable or unwilling to use Javascript in your browser.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Edward Koo <edwardkoo@...> wrote:

        > Hi, how could i select all emails on screen with new yahoo mail basic? There isn't any top level check box to select all emails,
        > yahoo mail classic had it.
        >
        > And where is yahoo notes... used to be on one of the tab menu in classic...

            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 13, 2013
          Bruce,

          > Unless you want to open emails in a new browser tab. The feature was
          > available in Classic. It is available in Basic. But inexplicably it is
          > not available in their flagship product.

          I can achieve it in Chrome, using an extra step. Double-click the message in the Inbox (or other folder). That produces a new tab inside Yahoo's interface. Right-click that tab (in the tab area, not elsewhere), select "Open link in new tab". That creates a browser tab with a second instance of Yahoo Mail.

          Certainly not as facile as Ctrl+Tab, or Ctrl+Shift+Tab though. Since Full Featured doesn't seem to use those shortcuts I'm not sure why they couldn't be made to open browser tabs when hovering in a message list.

          Maybe that's something to stick in their "Send Feedback" form (in the gear icon).

          > Whatever other quibbles I might have, this is a deal killer. I can use
          > Basic while giving up some functionality. Or I can use their new and
          > disapproved product and give up what I consider to be the most important
          > tool available.

          What is it about a browser tab that you find so much more useful than tabs within the Yahoo page? Just curious if you could articulate it. If you can that might make your Feedback more compelling.

          -- Shal
        • adeomus ********
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 13, 2013
             amen to that !!*&gt;:P phbbbbt

            -- George MacDonald

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 17, 2013
              >>>What is it about a browser tab that you find so much more useful than tabs within the Yahoo page?

              Yahoo new mail, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

              The difference between tabs in FF and in a Yahoo mail window is the difference between a well designed browser and an ill conceived, forced "upgrade."

              Here is what I used to do in Yahoo Classic. I would open my inbox and scan through my messages, right clicking/opening in new tab any mails of interest. I could continue to scan my inbox opening new emails as those emails would be opening.

              In the Yahoo mail tabs (Why on earth would they not just allow people to use well designed, well evolved browser tabs to open emails instead of creating a substandard version of their own?) when I click on an email, instead of leaving me in the inbox so I can continue to scan down, it automatically takes me to the new tab. I DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE NEW TAB BECAUSE 1) I WANT TO STAY THERE TO SEE WHAT ELSE IS THERE AND 2) I DO NOT WANT TO WAIT UNTIL EMAIL LOADS! Classic allowed emails to open in their own time without me having to wait for them to open. I was in the inbox. by switching to the new Yahoo Mail "tab" (Oh, how I hate even calling it a tab!) It also did not distract me with the email being opened. There may be other, more important emails further along in my inbox. But instead of letting me continue to scan my inbox (and if there is an email I really want/need to read, to go to it on MY schedule, not when Yahoo Mail decides to take me there) it is constantly taking me to emails I am opening, even if they are not the ones I want to read first. So I cannot read the emails in the order I want to read them. I have to read them in the order in which I open them.

              But then, even if I have multiple Yahoo Mail tabs open, if I open a new one and then close it, instead of it moving me to the next tab to the right (or left, if there is none to the right.) it returns me to my inbox. I DON'T WANT TO GO TO MY INBOX JUST BECAUSE I CLOSE AN EMAIL!!!!!!

              If I close tab in FF prematurely or in error, I can recover it effortlessly by clicking history/recently closed tab. Ditto, if FF shuts down unexpectedly, the tab is right there in "restore session." So basically, FF allows me a "go back" to easily retrace my steps. It does it in recently closed tabs. It does it in history. It does it in "restore session." FF reflects a well designed, REAL browser with features meant to make life easier and also to make up for errors.

              On the other hand, Yahoo Mail "tabs" do not function how I want them to and are unforgiving. If I mistakenly close my browser tab, my entire Yahoo session is lost. Whether I had 1 email open or 10, I don't know and I cannot recover what was open without tediously going through my inbox again trying to find any email that had been opened and not addressed.

              Classic had the appropriate functionality built in. Even Basic can do it. And then they try to foist their flagship product on us that does not allow browser tabs? One of my criteria for a functional website is one that allows tabs, and many of the "fanciest" ones fail miserably. (Pages are either images or links are not links at all but just another "view" of the same web address.)

              I would guess that there are some workarounds for some of these issues (as you pointed out) and Yahoo might add some more as time goes by. But this is a case where the functions I want are 1) ones they had already mastered, 2) Used features already available in browsers 3) ones which used keystrokes people already use perhaps hundreds or thousands of times a day. So now, for whatever reason, they decide to create a "browser within a browser" that requires a whole different set up strokes if it can even do what Classic can do at all?

              It is maddening. It is incomprehensible. Apparently, how I used Classic was not universal but it worked perfectly for me. If I designed an email platform, it would pretty much mirror Classic, but without the chat and other fluff.

              Does that answer your question, Shal?

              Bruce Lund

              PS I tried right clicking an email and opening in a new tab and all it did was open a new tab with the same inbox. I could conceivably open a ton of tabs with an inbox and then open individual emails in each tab, but it would be incredibly clumsy. I do thank you for your effort. It really is appreciated. I am just incredibly frustrated that they would take away something that was near perfect and give us something that is virtually worthless for me. Who does that?

              PSS Search is worthless. Classic search could be a challenge at times, but my success with the new search has been almost as bad as Classic was good. It seems to exclude results of incoming emails in 2013. What the ****!

              > Unless you want to open emails in a new browser tab. The feature was
              > available in Classic. It is available in Basic. But inexplicably it is
              > not available in their flagship product.

              I can achieve it in Chrome, using an extra step. Double-click the message in the Inbox (or other folder). That produces a new tab inside Yahoo's interface. Right-click that tab (in the tab area, not elsewhere), select "Open link in new tab". That creates a browser tab with a second instance of Yahoo Mail.

              Certainly not as facile as Ctrl+Tab, or Ctrl+Shift+Tab though. Since Full Featured doesn't seem to use those shortcuts I'm not sure why they couldn't be made to open browser tabs when hovering in a message list.

              Maybe that's something to stick in their "Send Feedback" form (in the gear icon).

              > Whatever other
              quibbles I might have, this is a deal killer. I can use
              > Basic while giving up some functionality. Or I can use their new and
              > disapproved product and give up what I consider to be the most important
              > tool available.

              What is it about a browser tab that you find so much more useful than tabs within the Yahoo page? Just curious if you could articulate it. If you can that might make your Feedback more compelling.

              -- Shal

                  Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

            • Kenneth
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 18, 2013
                Bruce,

                It just doesn't seem that bad to me but then we all have to evaluate Yahoo! Mail based on our own expectations.  When I click on an email in the inbox, I expect the view to change to show me that email and not keep me in the inbox "so I can continue to scan down."  I think that's what you said you expect but perhaps I misunderstood.

                Anyway I don't know how Yahoo! can satisfy everyone's expectations and I hope they don't try to satisfy some of those that people have expressed.  If they can just get this weird scrolling view in folders to work with multiple email selection from their drop-down selector then I think the greatest problem will have been addressed.

                Kenneth

> [...]

                Does that answer your question, Shal?

                Bruce Lund

                PS I tried right clicking an email and opening in a new tab and all it did was open a new tab with the same inbox. I could conceivably open a ton of tabs with an inbox and then open individual emails in each tab, but it would be incredibly clumsy. I do thank you for your effort. It really is appreciated. I am just incredibly frustrated that they would take away something that was near perfect and give us something that is virtually worthless for me. Who does that?

                PSS Search is worthless. Classic search could be a challenge at times, but my success with the new search has been almost as bad as Classic was good. It seems to exclude results of incoming emails in 2013. What the ****!

              • Sasafrass452
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 18, 2013
                  A simple solution would be to open each email you want to see, read/reply to it, then close the tab & open the next email you want to see. Why are you opening emails that you don't want to read yet?

                  **Sasafrass452**
                  http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                  http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 18, 2013
                    they open on their own after one reads the previous one...
                    and if one clicks on the back button, it goes to the inbox, not the previous email.

                    this is another defect that classic did not have.
                    it actually went to the previously viewed page !

                    also..the reason i want to hilight the whole inbox page ( all 200 of the posts) is that i don't want to read all the mail...
                    when owning groups one does not have time to read all the posts and modding requests.
                    i check the home pages for pendings, then delete the voluminous requests on the inbox...
                    only checking the random ones from the inbox that pop up as my  session online goes on.

                    glitches are much more common now too ( a real trick, imo..).
                    even when "googling" stuff, i get blank pages frequently......

                    adds

                    -- George MacDonald

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 18, 2013
                      Yahoo! Notes?  If you mean Notepad, it should be under Applications in the left sidebar.

                    • Bruce Lund
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013
                        >>>Why are you opening emails that you don't want to read yet?

                        Just because I want to read them doesn't mean they are my most important email or that I should read them NOW.

                        I get a lot of email. A lot.. I am a member of a lot of groups (like this one) and also moderate some. Which means that I could have dozens of emails to sort through. As a moderator, I consider it important that I respond to requests for memberships and moderation. But that doesn't mean they should have priority over business emails or one from Ed McMahon. But I know I need to deal with them so I would open them in a new tab while still scrolling down through my messages. If nothing else, it meant that I would not have to wait in front of my computer screen while the email took it's sweet time opening. It would open itself in its own time while I continued to sort through my inbox.

                        I liken it to snail mail after I arrive back from vacation. My mailbox (inbox) is stuffed. So I do triage. One stack is what I know I want to see. (Opened in new tab.) One stack is "Not right now. Or maybe never." (Not opened.) The nice thing with Yahoo Mail there is even a third category, "Leisure Reading", starred emails to look at when I get a chance. Could be related to professional learning. Could be an upcoming event that might be of interest. But the point is that it is not necessary for me to open it but I can go back later and look at my starred emails for future reference.

                        So, I have gone through the whole stack of emails (mail) in a short amount of time and I have identified all of the emails (mail) that I want to deal with at that seating. But this is the critical part. While I am sorting out the emails (mail) I am dealing with, I can pick and choose the ones that I want to look at right now and "rip open the envelope" (look at that tab right now.) Could be an urgent message from a client. Could be payment information. (Who doesn't open a payment from a known party?) Could be an email from my high school sweetheart.

                        The point is that you would NEVER open snail mail in the order in which it is stacked. You do an initial screening to figure out what is there. Ditto for Yahoo mail. To do what you are suggesting would require that I either deal with emails in the order they are in my inbox (mailbox.) Or that I would scroll up and down in my inbox to locate the most pressing ones, open, and then scroll up and down some more, open, and then scroll up and down some more, open, then scroll up and down some more, open, etc., etc., etc..

                        Opening in new tabs is an organizational tool. It allows me to set aside those emails (envelopes) that I want to read in this session. And it allowed me to open, read and act on those of critical importance immediately without forcing me to deal with all of the intervening email (envelopes) which might be of interest but not pressing enough for me to grab the letter opener. Your method suggests that all messages are created equally. They are not. Some can be set aside (in a new tab) and be dealt with in 10 minutes, in an hour, or in 3 hours. Some must/should be dealt with on a more timely basis. I shouldn't have to wade through and deal with all of the kinda important email, as you suggest, to get to the ones that are real important.

                        Bruce Lund

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013
                          >>>It
                          just doesn't seem that bad to me

                          Can you be any more dismissive? I write a long, detailed explanation and that is how you start your response?

                          >>> When I click on an email in the inbox, I expect the view to change to show me that email and not keep me in the inbox "so I can continue to scan down."  I think that's what you said you expect but perhaps I misunderstood.

                          Yes, that is what I expect. As I mentioned in other responses I made on this thread, there are messages I want to read in my current session, but not necessarily NOW! As I said, I don't read my snail mail in the order it is in my mailbox. I sort through and make a stack of mail I want to open, but I also reserve the right  to stop and read one right now. I just don't want to be forced to look at one that is in my "to read" stack as soon as I set it in the stack. Plus, I don't want to wait while that email opens. By opening in a new tab, it is opening "in the background" (Thanks for that phrase, Shal.) without wasting my time. And it also allows me to continue scanning my inbox for more pressing emails.

                          >>>Anyway I don't know how Yahoo! can satisfy everyone's expectations and I hope they don't try to satisfy some of those that people have expressed.

                          I would agree that some suggestions might not work for everybody. But this is not an either/or situation. This is not a case where if I get what I want you will lose what you have. To the contrary, in Classic it was always available and you were probably not even aware of it much less adversely effected. (Although it did work better in FF than IE.) It is the same situation here. What I would gain here would cost you nothing. It is baffling to me why ANY company, on ANY website, would willingly abandon what I consider to be one of the most powerful tools in its arsenal, to be able to open links on a page in a new tab without having to leave the original page. And for a company like Yahoo, that supposedly wants to be a player, to give up a tool it has used for a decade baffles me.

                          >>>If
                          they can just get this weird scrolling view in folders to work with multiple email selection from their drop-down selector then I think the greatest problem will have been addressed.

                          I don't know, Kenneth. It just doesn't seem that bad to me . . .

                          Bruce Lund

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013
                            Bruce,

                            > It is baffling to me why ANY company, on ANY website, would willingly
                            > abandon what I consider to be one of the most powerful tools in its
                            > arsenal, to be able to open links on a page in a new tab without having
                            > to leave the original page.

                            Part of the answer is that they didn't make links of the message subjects. So they didn't get that browser behavior for free. In classic they did, but the browser behavior based on them being links isn't part of Yahoo's code -- so it may never have been enumerated as a feature of the product. So I'm suggesting a kind of tunnel-vision based on a formal specification.

                            Mind you, I've never seen Yahoo's code so that speculation could be all wrong. The other possibility is that the link-like behavior was implemented in the JavaScript of the Classic page rather than in simply making the subject lines HTML links.

                            > And for a company like Yahoo, that supposedly wants to be a player, to
                            > give up a tool it has used for a decade baffles me.

                            As one of my coworkers is fond of saying, it is difficult to see what isn't there.
                            `
                            That's why I think a lucid explanation of what went missing and why it was important might be compelling enough for them to adopt the suggestion. Somewhere a programmer might have a "face-palm" moment of recognition.

                            -- Shal
                          • Bruce Lund
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013

                              >>>they open on their own after one reads the previous one...
                              and if one clicks on the back button, it goes to the inbox, not the previous email.

                              >>>this is another defect that classic did not have.
                              it actually went to the previously viewed page !

                              When I originally read this, I was thinking you were talking about where Classic would go if, say, you deleted an email. That was a preference. But rereading it, you are saying the button sends you to the inbox? WTF? Browsers have the ability to go to the "right place" built in. So again, you have to wonder, why does Yahoo try to reinvent the wheel, and when doing so make it square? All they would have to do is use the already available browser functions.

                              GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

                              Bruce Lund

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013

                                adds