Re: Problems sending emails to AOL, Comcast, Verizon accounts

  • FC Cindy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
      We have had this problem for a couple of years with one of our moderators who uses a Verizon email address. I saw a thread here before and found Shal's reply (copied below) was helpful and confirmed our suspicions. Verizon will not help but if you can set up a whitelist with Verizon, you could have them whitelist your address.

      Shal's message:

      My belief is that Verizon practices "greylisting" of Yahoo's servers. I hadn't heard of this being a problem for Yahoo Mail users, but it had vexed me on and off as a Yahoo Groups member with a Verizon email address -- I would fail to receive a small fraction of messages from Groups, and my bounce history would show that reason.
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting>

      That said, the descriptions in this thread suggest something more intense is going on, so it may be on Yahoo's side rather than the ISP's in the current cases.

      Or, given the current intensity of the attack against Yahoo mail, and the large number of compromised accounts sending out malicious links, it could be that various ISP's anti-spam technologies are reacting more intensely and more "innocent" messages are being denied delivery.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mjk4984" <mjk4984@...> wrote:

      > Huh?
      >
      > For what it's worth I've tried contacting Yahoo again and they are saying it's not them; that every other ISP is broken.
      >
      > They won't respond when I say I can send 3 emails in a row and the 2nd one just vanishes and fails 24 hours later because the destination is "unreachable", yet the 3rd one made it without any issues.
      >
      > My guess is that there might be a temporary glitch that prevents Yahoo from sending the email, but Yahoo never retries (like it's supposed to) and instead just gives up and sends a notification the next day.
      >

      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <justkenneth@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Try postmaster@ rather than postmaster@
      > >

      > > >________________________________

    • FC Cindy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
        This topic got me thinking about our problem again and I found this link where a Verizon customer can request and email address be put on their whitelist - http://my.verizon.com/micro/whitelist/ . Might help some of the problems with Verizon if they allow your request.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mjk4984" <mjk4984@...> wrote:

        > Huh?
        >
        > For what it's worth I've tried contacting Yahoo again and they are saying it's not them; that every other ISP is broken.
        >
        > They won't respond when I say I can send 3 emails in a row and the 2nd one just vanishes and fails 24 hours later because the destination is "unreachable", yet the 3rd one made it without any issues.
        >
        > My guess is that there might be a temporary glitch that prevents Yahoo from sending the email, but Yahoo never retries (like it's supposed to) and instead just gives up and sends a notification the next day.
        >

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <justkenneth@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Try postmaster@ rather than postmaster@
        > >

        > > >________________________________

      • Bill T
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
          It's good to know that it isn't just me. When it affects mutliple ISP's it makes you wonder why Yahoo can't see that and not keep pointing the finger at everybody else.

          I have a large group of my old Army Unit that I email throughout the week. Groups don't work for me and this is my only way of getting news out to the group.

          Changing to another Mail provider is not something I want to tackle but with this problem coupled with all the problems using the Yahoo email interface (I use Mail Plus) it has become very frustrating.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <justkenneth@...> wrote:

          > Try postmaster@... rather than postmaster@...
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Shal Farley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
            Cindy,

            > This topic got me thinking about our problem again and I found this link
            > where a Verizon customer can request and email address be put on their
            > whitelist - <http://my.verizon.com/micro/whitelist/> . Might help some of
            > the problems with Verizon if they allow your request.

            Hey, now that form is much improved since when I was a Verizon customer. Back then the form demanded the IP address of the sending server -- which was of little use to me as Yahoo Groups has over 600 outbound servers! (and the form would not accept the abbreviated /24 format).

            If enough Verizon customers request whitelisting of the yahoo.com domain that might get their attention. Even if (part of) the problem is on Yahoo's side, it will likely take getting the engineers from both sides to study their server logs together in order to figure out why Verizon is "unreachable for too long".

            -- Shal