Re: Problems sending emails to AOL, Comcast, Verizon accounts

  • mjk4984
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2013
      I having the same problem sending emails to Verizon users. I contacted Yahoo and they said to contact postmaster@... (or more specifically they said to contact postmaster@...).

      Anyway I did that and the email simply auto-responds with a message about abuse@..., so obviously that's not the correct address.

      I think the problem is on Yahoo's end as well as I've sent an email addressed to multiple Verizon customers and it bounced 24 hours later for all of them saying that "verizon.net" was unreachable for too long, yet an email I sent after that went through.

      As such I don't think Yahoo is resending on failure like it's supposed to do. Unfortunately every single time I contact Yahoo, I get a form letter back telling me to contact "postmaster@..." even if I write them and tell them I contacted "postmaster@..." and it's not the correct address.

      The problem started about the same time as you mentioned. Yahoo seems to be ignoring the problem completely.

      I haven't tried emailing AOL or Comcast accounts, or at least I haven't gotten any errors regarding that.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Bill T" <bill_t_08012@...> wrote:

      > For a while now I have had an intermittent problem with sending emails
      > to those with either AOL, Comcast, Verizon accounts. I seem to be
      > getting more of these over the past 2 weeks.
      >
      > I get bounce backs with similar messages like this:
      >
      > Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
      > <XXXXXX@... <mailto:XXXXXX@...> >:
      > Mail server for "verizon.net" unreachable for too long
      >
      > At first, it was just Verizon and now I am getting it on the others. At
      > first, I thought it was a Verizon problem but now suspect that this has
      > something to do with Yahoo.
      >

      > Has anyone else experienced this?
      >

      > Bill T.

    • Kenneth
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
        Try postmaster@... rather than postmaster@....

        I think the problem is on Yahoo's end as well as I've sent an email addressed to multiple Verizon customers and it bounced 24 hours later for all of them saying that "verizon.net" was unreachable for too long, yet an email I sent after that went through.

        As such I don't think Yahoo is resending on failure like it's supposed to do. Unfortunately every single time I contact Yahoo, I get a form letter back telling me to contact "postmaster@..." even if I write them and tell them I contacted "postmaster@..." and it's not the correct address.

        The problem started about the same time as you mentioned. Yahoo seems to be ignoring the problem completely.

        I haven't tried emailing AOL or Comcast accounts, or at least I haven't gotten any errors regarding that.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Bill T" <bill_t_08012@...> wrote:

        > For a while now I have had an intermittent problem with sending emails
        > to those with either AOL, Comcast, Verizon accounts. I seem to be
        > getting more of these over the past 2 weeks.
        >
        > I get bounce backs with similar messages like this:
        >
        > Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
        > <XXXXXX@... <mailto:XXXXXX@...> >:
        > Mail server for "verizon.net" unreachable for too long
        >
        > At first, it was just Verizon and now I am getting it on the others. At
        > first, I thought it was a Verizon problem but now suspect that this has
        > something to do with Yahoo.
        >

        > Has anyone else experienced this?
        >

        > Bill T.

      • George Hutfilz
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
          Yes. This has been going on for about 10 days. It appears to be a Yahoo! problem since my Verizon and AOL correspondents can reliably reach me on Yahoo!, but I cannot reliably reach them. It's a pain since it takes 24 hours to get the bounce message. I have been patiently resending messages, usually successfully, in hopes that Yahoo! gets its act together.

          George

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Bill T" <bill_t_08012@...> wrote:

          > For a while now I have had an intermittent problem with sending emails
          > to those with either AOL, Comcast, Verizon accounts. I seem to be
          > getting more of these over the past 2 weeks.
          >
          > I get bounce backs with similar messages like this:
          >
          > Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
          > <XXXXXX@... <mailto:XXXXXX@...> >:
          > Mail server for "verizon.net" unreachable for too long
          >
          > At first, it was just Verizon and now I am getting it on the others. At
          > first, I thought it was a Verizon problem but now suspect that this has
          > something to do with Yahoo.
          >

          > Has anyone else experienced this?
          >

          > Bill T.

        • mjk4984
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
            Huh?

            For what it's worth I've tried contacting Yahoo again and they are saying it's not them; that every other ISP is broken.

            They won't respond when I say I can send 3 emails in a row and the 2nd one just vanishes and fails 24 hours later because the destination is "unreachable", yet the 3rd one made it without any issues.

            My guess is that there might be a temporary glitch that prevents Yahoo from sending the email, but Yahoo never retries (like it's supposed to) and instead just gives up and sends a notification the next day.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <justkenneth@...> wrote:

            > Try postmaster@... rather than postmaster@...
            >

            > >________________________________

          • FC Cindy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
              We have had this problem for a couple of years with one of our moderators who uses a Verizon email address. I saw a thread here before and found Shal's reply (copied below) was helpful and confirmed our suspicions. Verizon will not help but if you can set up a whitelist with Verizon, you could have them whitelist your address.

              Shal's message:

              My belief is that Verizon practices "greylisting" of Yahoo's servers. I hadn't heard of this being a problem for Yahoo Mail users, but it had vexed me on and off as a Yahoo Groups member with a Verizon email address -- I would fail to receive a small fraction of messages from Groups, and my bounce history would show that reason.
              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting>

              That said, the descriptions in this thread suggest something more intense is going on, so it may be on Yahoo's side rather than the ISP's in the current cases.

              Or, given the current intensity of the attack against Yahoo mail, and the large number of compromised accounts sending out malicious links, it could be that various ISP's anti-spam technologies are reacting more intensely and more "innocent" messages are being denied delivery.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mjk4984" <mjk4984@...> wrote:

              > Huh?
              >
              > For what it's worth I've tried contacting Yahoo again and they are saying it's not them; that every other ISP is broken.
              >
              > They won't respond when I say I can send 3 emails in a row and the 2nd one just vanishes and fails 24 hours later because the destination is "unreachable", yet the 3rd one made it without any issues.
              >
              > My guess is that there might be a temporary glitch that prevents Yahoo from sending the email, but Yahoo never retries (like it's supposed to) and instead just gives up and sends a notification the next day.
              >

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <justkenneth@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Try postmaster@ rather than postmaster@
              > >

              > > >________________________________

            • FC Cindy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
                This topic got me thinking about our problem again and I found this link where a Verizon customer can request and email address be put on their whitelist - http://my.verizon.com/micro/whitelist/ . Might help some of the problems with Verizon if they allow your request.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mjk4984" <mjk4984@...> wrote:

                > Huh?
                >
                > For what it's worth I've tried contacting Yahoo again and they are saying it's not them; that every other ISP is broken.
                >
                > They won't respond when I say I can send 3 emails in a row and the 2nd one just vanishes and fails 24 hours later because the destination is "unreachable", yet the 3rd one made it without any issues.
                >
                > My guess is that there might be a temporary glitch that prevents Yahoo from sending the email, but Yahoo never retries (like it's supposed to) and instead just gives up and sends a notification the next day.
                >

                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <justkenneth@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Try postmaster@ rather than postmaster@
                > >

                > > >________________________________

              • Bill T
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
                  It's good to know that it isn't just me. When it affects mutliple ISP's it makes you wonder why Yahoo can't see that and not keep pointing the finger at everybody else.

                  I have a large group of my old Army Unit that I email throughout the week. Groups don't work for me and this is my only way of getting news out to the group.

                  Changing to another Mail provider is not something I want to tackle but with this problem coupled with all the problems using the Yahoo email interface (I use Mail Plus) it has become very frustrating.

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <justkenneth@...> wrote:

                  > Try postmaster@... rather than postmaster@...
                  >

                  > >________________________________

                • Shal Farley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Cindy,

                    > This topic got me thinking about our problem again and I found this link
                    > where a Verizon customer can request and email address be put on their
                    > whitelist - <http://my.verizon.com/micro/whitelist/> . Might help some of
                    > the problems with Verizon if they allow your request.

                    Hey, now that form is much improved since when I was a Verizon customer. Back then the form demanded the IP address of the sending server -- which was of little use to me as Yahoo Groups has over 600 outbound servers! (and the form would not accept the abbreviated /24 format).

                    If enough Verizon customers request whitelisting of the yahoo.com domain that might get their attention. Even if (part of) the problem is on Yahoo's side, it will likely take getting the engineers from both sides to study their server logs together in order to figure out why Verizon is "unreachable for too long".

                    -- Shal