Re: [Y-Mail] Selecting All Mails from folder

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
      Basic doesn't have the Select All check box; but, it does have the messages spread out over several pages and if you have 20,000 messages, that could mean a lot of pages to click through.  However, Fully-featured does have a Select All check box.  But, the messages are all on one page.  So, I tested it to see if it would select all of the messages or just a set number.  The reading pane showed that I had selected 275 messages.  When I tried to deselect the messages, by clicking the box again, nothing happened.  When I had Classic, I had 50 messages per page.  Yahoo Mail had settings that allowed 25, 50, and more messages per page.

      Just a bit ago, I went back to Yahoo Mail to see if there were any settings available for the Select All check box and there were none that I could find.

      This new Yahoo Mail is quirky to say the least. The Overview of this new Yahoo Mail never explained about all this quirkiness.  It would be nice to have explanations as to how best to use it.  Before this change, I  was clearing out old messages.  But, there were messages that I still wanted to keep.  Starting on the last page and working toward the first page, I would select all the messages on the page, then deselect the ones I wanted to keep, then delete those messages.  Then I would go to the previous page and repeat the process.

      With messages all on one page, now, how do I just select a certain group of messages?  If the Basic version of this new Yahoo Mail had a Select All check box, I would just go back to using it.

      I liked using Classic.  It was like a comfortable pair of shoes.

      Donna

    • FC Cindy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
        Yes. Full featured. Now you have me wondering. Does it select all in Basic?

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <justkenneth@...> wrote:

        > Are you using the full featured option for Yahoo! Mail?  I am and I too am noticing problems in the effectivity of the email selection drop-down.
        >
        > All of the selections (all, none, unread, etc.) seem to only get applied to those emails that are in the currently displayed scrollable view or perhaps just a few emails beyond those currently displayed.  If you select all and then scroll down, you'll find that not all are selected.  Likewise, if you manage to select all and then scroll back to the top and select none, they don't all get unchecked.
        >
        > Prior versions, even those that would display all emails at once rather than page by page, had no problems with this functionality.
        >
        > Kenneth

      • Harryh
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
          Ah, the scrolling feature is most interesting.  With a folder (or inbox) selected, checking the box results in a 'page full' (maybe a bit more than a screen full) selected; however, if you start scrolling repeatedly and THEN check the selection box, a lot more will get selected (but not all, thank you).  Observe that page-up/page-down deselects the selection; so after scrolling be careful not to try to page-up to get to the top.

          But if the messages are a result of a search operation, be careful.  A selection here results in ALL messages meeting the search criteria being selected!  And observe that page-up/down doesn't affect the selection.

          The guy who designed this operation must have missed some HMI classes.  Back in the paged view display, you got pretty much what you'd expect when you did a mass selection whether working in a folder or via a search.  I'm sure that the touch-Win8 world must be facing similar issues.