Re: [Y-Mail] Too Many versions of Y-Mail

  • Kenneth
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 22 9:35 AM
      Actually, that's where the option is if you're currently using Full Featured Mail.

      For Basic mail, the option to switch between the two is at Mail Options, Advanced Options -> Mail Accounts.  Again, at the bottom of that page.  Or you can just click on the "Switch to the newest Yahoo! Mail" link that appears at the top of every page in Basic view.  Sounds like Yahoo! feels that the basic view isn't just another option for the new Mail.  They may be prejudiced somewhat in favor of the Full Featured view.

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 22 11:13 AM
      • 1 Attachment
      • 18 KB
      Thank you. I am trying the fully-featured version of the Yahoo Mail now.  I have run into something that I am not sure what's causing it. I've attached a screen shot of what I'm seeing.

      After I read a message, I return to the inbox by clicking on the inbox tab or the link on the left hand side which also says inbox.  But, it appears that each message that I read isn't being closed when I return to the inbox.  Why is that?  I checked my inbox on outlook.com and notice that the messages close whether I click Inbox on the left, or the little X on the  upper corner of the message.

      As far as I can tell, if I return to the inbox, it means that I am either done reading the message or I am choosing to come back at a later  time.  I don't need to have a tab for the message.  I think this is a design flaw.  Or, there's something in the options that I don't have set  right.

      So far, the fully-featured is okay; but, it has some really strange things that don't make sense.  If I can figure out the best way to use what  I have to work with, I will stay with it; but, basic  is okay as well and certainly didn't seem full of bugs.

      Donna

    • Kenneth
      Message 3 of 20 , Jun 22 2:33 PM
        It's not a design flaw.  Rather it's a design decision that allows users to have more than one email open at a time.

        So clicking on Inbox only means that you want to see your Inbox.  Potentially someone might want to open an additional email for some reason, perhaps to compare with the first email.  Whatever emails you open from the inbox are opened and available in separate tabs.  To close an email, mouse over the tab for that email and click the little x.

        Note that if you're viewing an email and select to view the next or previous email via the up or down arrows, only the currently viewed email remains open.  The others are closed.  Separate tabs for each opened email is only accomplished by selecting the email from the inbox.

        Message 4 of 20 , Jun 22 2:47 PM
          Thank you for the reply; but, it serves no purpose to have messages open at the same time if you can't see them at the same time.  I don't use tabbed browsing.  If I want to see more than one message at a time, I would open each message in a separate window, then click F10 on my keyboard, then I could see each window at the same time.

          Okay, I have found a possible  solution to the  tab issue.  I have added the reading pane to the inbox.  For now, the reading pane is on the bottom and the message list is on the top.  I can scroll through the text in the reading pane or I can scroll through the messages list.  The set up is very similar to how I have my mail.com inbox.  I will try this way for a while to see how that  goes.  Even if it's not a design flaw, it should just be an option instead of a requirement.

          Donna

          Message 5 of 20 , Jun 22 3:00 PM
            True, you can't see the opened emails at the same time, but they are already loaded so they can be viewed more quickly by clicking their tabs than if you had to re-open them.

            The reading pane is especially good now that they've restored the right side view in addition to the bottom view.  They had that for a while then got rid of it for some reason.

[...]

          • Bruce Lund
            Message 6 of 20 , Jun 22 10:26 PM
              How does one open tabs in the new mail? More importantly, can you open an email in a new tab without leaving your inbox?

              Bruce Lund

              Message 7 of 20 , Jun 23 11:19 AM
                If you're using the current version of Yahoo! Mail and it's set to the Full Featured option, then just click on any of the emails that appear in your inbox.  The view will then change to display that email.  If you look up near the top of the window, you'll see that your email has a tab.  You're looking at that email via the tab but other tabs are still available such as Calendar, Contacts, and Inbox.  You can click on Inbox again and select another email to view.

                Still, while you haven't really left your inbox while you're viewing an email, you can't view the contents of both tabs at once.  The best you can do is set to view emails using a preview pane.  Then you see the inbox plus the currently selected email at the same time.

                Message 8 of 20 , Jun 23 12:32 PM
                  Bruce,

                  > How does one open tabs in the new mail?

                  Simply click on a subject line in the inbox, the message opens in a new tab. But note, this is not a browser tab, but a tab within the Yahoo Mail interface.

                  Having opened the message I can right-click on the tab and select "Open link in new tab" or "Open link in new window" (in Chrome, I assume other browsers have similar means). Opening in a new window is handy when I want to have that message open on my screen simultaneously with something else (another message, the inbox, compose window, whatever).

                  > More importantly, can you open an email in a new tab without leaving your inbox?

                  Yes, of course. Each message you click on in the inbox opens in its own "tab", so you can readily switch back and forth. There are even keyboard shortcuts for switching tabs, Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] -- type "?" to see a list of the shortcuts.

                  -- Shal
                • fredbisard
                  Message 9 of 20 , Jun 26 6:54 AM
                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...> wrote:

                    > I am confused.
                    >
                    > I know that Yahoo Mail 'Classic' has been around for many years. It appears to be loved by thousands`if not millions - it was simple, it worked, it provided the service users were happy with.
                    >
                    > Then we had 'Beta' - which I guess most people ignored, or if they switched over to it, hated it, and then switched back to 'Classic.'
                    >
                    > Then we had 'New' which I assume was developed from 'Beta' - and I understand that 'New' was so unfriendly and lacked many features that 'Classic' had, so that again many folks switched back to 'Classic.'
                    >
                    > Now I get the impression that anything with the description "Yahoo Mail 'New'" is universally deemed to represent the 'New' aka 'Beta' that a vast majority hated.
                    >
                    > But now we have a different 'New' - apparently termed 'Neo.' This comes in two flavours 'Basic' and 'Fully Featured.' This is the version that we are being forced into accepting whilst being given a choice of 'Basic' of 'Fully Featured.'
                    >
                    > So my first confusion is this: is the 'New' (aka 'Beta') that was almost universally hated by everyone anything to do with the 'New' aka 'Neo' version?
                    >
                    > It seems that this is the widespread belief - hence the angst against 'Neo.' Users may not realise that 'Neo' may be a different development.
                    >
                    > Or is it? Is 'Neo' indeed a development from 'New' (aka 'Beta'), or a new version in its own right?
                    >
                    > Whatever the switch from 'Classic' to 'Neo' has been very badly handled by Yahoo. It is unacceptable to block searching in 'Classic' and to force anyone doing a search of old emails into converting to 'Neo' instead. This lack of being able to search in 'Classic' is causing me immense distress. This is not good customer service.
                    >
                    > Secondly it appears that 'Neo' 'Basic' and 'Fully Featured' is still being tweaked. This is crazy. I worked on a major airline booking system and the last thing we did before going live with a new version was to stress test it on a live but hidden server. One of the issues that you DO NOT do is to develop a live system whilst the public is using it at the same time. That is incredibly unprofessional.
                    >
                    > CJB

                    To sum that review up in just a few short words, Yahoo mail now sucks so bad I can barely use it, no matter what browser I use or OS!

                    Been using Yahoo mail since 1997 and has worked great. Now, I'm thinking of switching my primary e-mail to Gmail, which I can't stand, or Microsoft Mail!
                  • Kenneth
                    Message 10 of 20 , Jun 26 9:20 AM
                      Fred,

                      I was able to read and reply to your post just fine using the current Yahoo! Mail set to the full-featured option.  Is it really the case that you can barely use it?

                      I believe most complaints are with the functionality of Mail when set to the basic option.  Selecting full-featured with javascript enabled seems fine with one exception that I know of.  Selection of multiple emails via the selection drop-down icon is buggy for folders containing more emails than can be displayed at once on the screen.  Otherwise it appears to be very usable.

                      Kenneth

                      Message 11 of 20 , Jun 30 1:48 PM
                        Somebody explain this one to me. The attached email was sent by me, from a Yahoo email address, to a Yahoo group about Yahoo mail and my Yahoo mail service put it in the spam folder. And that is with Yahoo's SpamGuard turned off. SMH!

                        On the upside, the search feature that had not been working in Classic which I assumed had been disabled is now up and working again. Yeah (for now)!

                        Message 12 of 20 , Jun 30 4:07 PM
                          Bruce,

                          I currently don't see any options in Yahoo! Mail to turn off SpamGuard.  The only options I see relating to spam are in regards to how often to empty the Spam folder and how or whether to display images in emails.

                          Kenneth