Yahoo has apparently started to 'censor' saved messages

  • don.mitchel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
      I have recently realised that saved messages containing attachments are not kept permanently in their entirety, or are even maimed already upon reception, although they have been sent with all the attachments. More concretely, all the html, txt and css attachments are gone.

      After realising this new effect, I have tried to get in touch with Yahoo in order to sort things out, but they prefer to just remain silent (big surprise).

      Is there anyone out there who has made similar experiences? Or someone working for Yahoo to explain what's going on?

      http://pro-mobile-internet.net/
    • Donna Lee
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
        If there are attachments you want to keep. Download them and keep them on your computer or back them up to an external hard drive or CD/DVD as you get them.

        Yahoo does not censor. But I do know their servers are not big enough to keep everything forever.

        Donna Ford Lee ♂+♀=♡
        Tulsa, OK

        Sent Via My iPhone

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
          Is this a new policy? I have seen this effect only for about 1 or 2 weeks.

          And why can't they just notify their customers through a circular mail? Silently deleting a part of the attachments saved is not only bad style. It can be a really nasty surprise for someone relying on it.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lee <donna74128@...> wrote:

          > If there are attachments you want to keep. Download them and keep them on your computer or back them up to an external hard drive or CD/DVD as you get them.
          >
          > Yahoo does not censor. But I do know their servers are not big enough to keep everything forever.
          >

          > Donna Ford Lee ♂+♀=♡
          > Tulsa, OK
          >
          > Sent Via My iPhone

        • don.mitchel
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
            PS

            In my case, they have deleted 5 out of 30 attachments. Or byte-wise, 50 kB out of 15 MB. Does this make sense?!

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lee <donna74128@...> wrote:

            > If there are attachments you want to keep. Download them and keep them on your computer or back them up to an external hard drive or CD/DVD as you get them.
            >
            > Yahoo does not censor. But I do know their servers are not big enough to keep everything forever.
            >

            > Donna Ford Lee ♂+♀=♡
            > Tulsa, OK
            >
            > Sent Via My iPhone

          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
              Don,

              > In my case, they have deleted 5 out of 30 attachments. Or byte-wise, 50
              > kB out of 15 MB. Does this make sense?!

              No, it does not. I'd suspect more a glitch than any intended change in function. Keep after Customer Care to look into the problem for you. If you haven't already done this, from the Help page, click "Get Help" (lower right corner). Then:

              category: Notices and errors
              sub-category: unable to download or upload attachments

              Scroll down below the Basic troubleshooting steps to find the "Email a Support Agent" link. You probably won't get a response during the weekend, and it may take a few replies back and forth before you get them to understand the problem (I doubt yours is in their lists of frequent questions, unless a lot of people are reporting it).

              -- Shal
            • Harryh
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
                I have had mail with attachments stored for at least 3+years so I'm not sure what's happening now.  I have been steadily downloading all my stored mail given the performance issues with neo and search.

                But I have accumulated certain messages with attachments that cannot be downloaded either via the web or POP3, nor can they be forwarded.  To all appearances they are corrupt.  Yahoo support has become useless because they simply respond with their standard script replies.  In effect they believe it to me my issue when it's apparent that it's a server issue that started Feb 14 and persisted for a few months leading to 200+ messages that cannot be processed.  During that period, other messages were received properly and could be POP accessed.  Of course once a corrupt message appears POP fails and the message must be moved via the web interface to a folder with hopes that eventually I can get a real support guru to take a look.  I can see the attachments, do a slide show but cannot download.  For those messages the header fields are blank!  (Action - Show Header).

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
                  I sure have been getting the support agent attention about my inability to access certain messages.  Sadly despite daily messages since 5/20 I only get script kiddies who, I doubt understand much beyond the script.  I've asked for escalation to resolve server side issues but am getting nowhere.  I suspect they are otherwise busy.

                  Scroll down below the Basic troubleshooting steps to find the "Email a Support Agent" link. You probably won't get a response during the weekend, and it may take a few replies back and forth before you get them to understand the problem (I doubt yours is in their lists of frequent questions, unless a lot of people are reporting it).

                  -- Shal

                      Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                • don.mitchel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
                    Thanks, but I've been through that phase. Their prepared 'customer assistance' procedure leads to an useless endless loop, and if you notify them individually (which is possible on that same page, and asking them for real personal assistance), then there is no reaction.

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

                    [...]
                    > No, it does not. I'd suspect more a glitch than any intended change in function. Keep after Customer Care to look into the problem for you. If you haven't already done this, from the Help page, click "Get Help" (lower right corner). Then:
                    >
                    > category: Notices and errors
                    > sub-category: unable to download or upload attachments
                    >
                    > Scroll down below the Basic troubleshooting steps to find the "Email a Support Agent" link. You probably won't get a response during the weekend, and it may take a few replies back and forth before you get them to understand the problem (I doubt yours is in their lists of frequent questions, unless a lot of people are reporting it).
                    >
                    > -- Shal

                  • Harryh
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
                      I am really in an endless loop with support agents (all with different names) repeating the same troubleshooting steps done previously.  There is nothing wrong with my browser proven by the use of multiple computers and multiple browsers.  And the browser cannot be related to an inability to forward certain messages or the inability to POP3 access those same messages.  It's clearly a server side problem but support seems unable to question their own system.

                      Apparently I am the only one that seems to have collected certain corrupted messages with attachments.  At least the corruption issue seems to have stopped.  Maybe it's connected to the neo/Classic switchover.