Outlook Express?

  • elizabeth_35674
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2013
      Can Outlook Express be used with Yahoo mail although you use it in your Private mail? I would like to keep the 2 seperated but do nor know if I can download Outlook # 2...I cannot cope with this new clumsy version of Yahoo Mail.

      Yahoo does read these messages don't they? Do they take our feelings into consideration or continue to plow in their on rut?
    • lena_kiev
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2013
        > From: <elizabeth_35674@...>

        > Can Outlook Express be used with Yahoo mail

        In short, yes. Details:

        I never paid for Mail Plus, my yahoo mailbox is @....
        On the groups.yahoo.com website I clicked the small triange
        at the left of Help at upper left, then Account Info, entered password,
        clicked "Set language, site, and time zone", switched to
        "English (United Kingdom)", Signed Out and back in.
        Then in Opera web-browser (it has a builtin mail program)
        in menu I clicked "Mail and Chat Accounts", created an IMAP account,
        entered my @... email address and its password.
        Opera smartly autofilled server names and ports:
        incoming IMAP: imap.mail.yahoo.com, secure connection (TLS), port 993;
        outgoing: smtp.mail.yahoo.com, secure connection (TLS), port 465.

        Then in Opera menu I clicked Mail - Read Mail.
        Opera downloaded my mail from my yahoo mailbox. For free!
        I even successfully sent an email from Opera through yahoo's SMTP-server.

        Possibly, switching to "United Kingdom" was unnecessary.

        Outlook Express and Thunderbird also support IMAP.

        It's also how you can backup your mail for free if you want to continue
        to use web-interface.
      • Thomas Sisson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2013

          I would not use Outlook Express for email. There is a reason Microsoft dropped it, and it is a very unsecure email program. I would advise using just about any other email program.

          Don't confuse Outlook Express with Outlook that comes with the Microsoft Office software package. It is perfectly fine. I personally use Thunderbird, but I have used Opera, and a few others as well.

          Tom