Re: [Y-Mail] Classic Mail

  • lena_kiev
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 14, 2013
      > Classic is being terminated, so you'll have tolook for another email
      > provider.

      Besides the new ("Full featured") yahooMail web-interface,
      there are Basic and mobile.
      Among other things, in Basic there are pages in folders instead of
      one huge scrolling.

      How to switch from new to Basic:
      the gear icon at upper right - Mail Options;
      Basic at the bottom;
      OK;
      Save.

      Mobile (works in usual browsers too): m.yahoo.com/mail
    • Bruce Lund
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 14, 2013
        Now the SOBs are blocking search in Classic. If I try to search, I get the screen to make the switch, and if I choose "remind me later" it takes me back to mail, not to search.

        Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

        Bruce Lund

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 14, 2013
          Bruce,

          > Now the SOBs are blocking search in Classic.

          Well, they /are/ shutting down Classic altogether. I'm a little
          surprised you can still access it in part.

          The new mail, both full and basic versions, have search. I would think
          you may as well convert rather than live through Classic's death throes.

          -- Shal
        • Chris J Brady
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 14, 2013
            Yes - they've done that to my account too. This has really upset my work to search my emails (15 years worth) and contact respondents on serious matters. When I switch I need time to assimilate how the new mail is going to work for me. Instead I am finding I am being forced into a corner at a time - of illness and upset - when I simply don't have the energy to spend resisting the move. CJB.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 14, 2013
              I finally decided to face it and tried the new mail in a little used yahoo account first..then on this one.

              went with what i say in my signature:

              I have to say it's a lot better than the " new mail" i tried on previous occasions, there is hope Classic brothers and sisters.

              though it took a little while to load the font/size/emoticons i guess...as well as auto address...they did show up .

              it's actually still better than google.
              will see how it goes.

              adds

              -- George MacDonald

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                Dear Lena,

                What a huge help you've been! With almost 34,000
                e-mails in one folder, the scrolling, one page feature
                wasn't working for me. The other day I needed to look
                at some of the older e-mails going back years . . .
                but the one page scrolling feature is structured in such
                a way that one needs to click and scroll, click and scroll . . .
                I tried it for about ten minutes and I still had years and
                years I needed to go through. Because of your post I
                was able to switch to Basic get my information fairly
                quickly and then switch back to the new e-mail. Not
                perfect, but doable. And, I wish Yahoo had kept it's original
                advanced e-mail search feature . . . but, that was eliminated a
                long time ago and replaced with it's poor sister advanced
                e-mail search feature.

                Be that as it may. You've been a great help!

                CT

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Lena@... wrote:

                > > Classic is being terminated, so you'll have tolook for another email
                > > provider.
                >
                > Besides the new ("Full featured") yahooMail web-interface,
                > there are Basic and mobile.
                > Among other things, in Basic there are pages in folders instead of
                > one huge scrolling.
                >
                > How to switch from new to Basic:
                > the gear icon at upper right - Mail Options;
                > Basic at the bottom;
                > OK;
                > Save.
                >
                > Mobile (works in usual browsers too): m.yahoo.com/mail

              • Harryh
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                  And the neo search is close to being way less useful because it requires too many clicks to get what you want <sigh>.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 16, 2013
                    I'm glad you're finding the newest new Yahoo! Mail to be not too bad, adds. I use Gmail myself but whenever I go login to my Yahoo! Mail account, I feel tempted to begin using it more frequently. It's really not that bad.

                    Some people here keep telling those who have lost Classic that they need to go find another email provider. I hope if they do that they will at least compare what's out there with what Yahoo! still provides.

                    Kenneth

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 16, 2013
                      I tried converting one of my older Yahoo email accounts - which I rarely use - into New. I then chose Basic New because I really do NOT want the bells and whistles of HTML or RTF to slow down my already slow laptop.

                      BUT I WAS APPALLED. The one feature that was not available was auto-completion of recipient addresses in the To: and Cc: fields. I use this all the time because it saves having to search for addresses in a long list usually presented in a pop-up window.

                      I was also frustrated when I had typed in a load of text into a new email. There was no auto-save to Draft. When I entered the address of the recipient - I made a small error. I clicked on Send and an error message came up saying that the address was invalid. I hit the Back button AND ALL THE TEXT I'D TYPED IN WAS LOST. I had to start all over again.

                      This is not good. I have never met such an unfriendly system - and I was in at the very start of the Internet.

                      CJB.

                    • adeomus ********
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 16, 2013

                         I was fully prepared to look elsewhere if it was intolerable, but i still prefer the new mail to google..
                        have determined that it's not intolerable <G>.
                        There are some issues I have with it, though..like the question i just posted here about hilighting the whole inbox to pick the specific posts i want to read, and deleting the rest.
                        Classic allowed me to do this and it saved me a lot of time.

                        there are speed bumps i have to find a way around.

                        Thank you, Kenneth !
                        We're all in this together..

                        adds

                        -- George MacDonald

                            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      • karenborga@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 16, 2013
                          I agree.... Yahoo is way better than Gmail.

                          Gmail is too confusing. In Gmail I have to click a pull down box to see who I'm responding to....have to be careful.

                          In Yahoo everything is obvious and simplified.

                          Yahoo on the cell phone works well also.

                          Karen

                          ****

                          Adeomus wrote:
                          I was fully prepared to look elsewhere if it was intolerable, but i still prefer the new mail to google..
                          have determined that it's not intolerable <G>.....

                          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
                        • Kenneth
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
                            You say you're appalled at the features that Yahoo! Mail is lacking but you've deliberately chosen not to use the fully featured Yahoo! Mail. It's not exactly fair to select a limited version and then complain about how limited it is.

                            I'm using the fully featured Yahoo! Mail and it does have auto-save for drafts and auto-completion for the To and Cc fields. I think these are the bells and whistles you actually want so you may want to reconsider your selection of the basic version.

                            Kenneth

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...> wrote:

                            > I tried converting one of my older Yahoo email accounts - which I rarely use - into New. I then chose Basic New because I really do NOT want the bells and whistles of HTML or RTF to slow down my already slow laptop.
                            > BUT I WAS APPALLED. The one feature that was not available was auto-completion of recipient addresses in the To: and Cc: fields. I use this all the time because it saves having to search for addresses in a long list usually presented in a pop-up window.
                            > I was also frustrated when I had typed in a load of text into a new email. There was no auto-save to Draft. When I entered the address of the recipient - I made a small error. I clicked on Send and an error message came up saying that the address was invalid. I hit the Back button AND ALL THE TEXT I'D TYPED IN WAS LOST. I had to start all over again.
                            > This is not good. I have never met such an unfriendly system - and I was in at the very start of the Internet.
                            > CJB.

                          • Shal's “Display Name”
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
                              Chris,

                              > I then chose Basic New because I really do NOT want the bells and
                              > whistles of HTML or RTF to slow down my already slow laptop.

                              The selection of Basic has nothing to do with the content of your messages. What it means is that the UI does not use JavaScript (it does use HTML, which is pretty much required to have any functionality at all).

                              > BUT I WAS APPALLED. The one feature that was not available was
                              > auto-completion of recipient addresses in the To: and Cc: fields.

                              There can't be, without JavaScript.

                              > I was also frustrated when I had typed in a load of text into a new
                              > email. There was no auto-save to Draft.

                              An auto-save while you're typing can't be done without JavaScript. If the basic version didn't save a copy in the "Sent" folder, where you could call it up and re-send it after edits, then that would be a missing feature to complain about.

                              -- Shal
                            • adeomus ********
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013

                                 yes...and i was a die hard classic lover...i still love classic much more than the new mail, it was more streamlined and faster imho !

                                but here we are...and i did try basic first..but to all classic lovers, the fully featured new mail is more like the classic than the basic is !!

                                give it a shot..you will be surprised.
                                it's not as horrible as the old " new mail"...i despised that !

                                this new mail seems slower and more cumbersome in some ways,
                                not new a,d " improved" over classic..
                                but hey...we will adapt, we always do..

                                adds

                                -- George MacDonald

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013

                                   am not sure what you mean by " auto save " to draft...
                                  it only auto saved when there was a hiccup for some reason, and i lost what i was composing,
                                  but then was relieved to find
                                  it in draft...but it was usually only part of it.

                                  have not had new mail long enough to see if it would happen here.
                                  in classic where you clicked on draft  it disappeared from the compose page
                                  and showed up on the draft page..

                                  with new mail i was confused at first, it didn't disappear.
                                  but the note beside draft said it was saved and what time..and sure enough if one goes to the draft page
                                  it is there.

                                  there are things i don't like in new mail...
                                  but hopefully yahoo will improve some things back to the ease of before.

                                  adds

                                  -- George MacDonald

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
                                    Actually, Classic mail would save at certain intervals. Don't recall if it was something I set or if it was default but, on occasion, after composing for awhile, a little whirly thing would go around saying it was being saved to draft.

                                    Bruce Lund

                                    I'm glad you're finding the newest new Yahoo! Mail to be not too bad, adds. I use Gmail myself but whenever I go login to my Yahoo! Mail account, I feel tempted to begin using it more frequently. It's really not that bad.

                                    Some people here keep telling those who have lost Classic that they need to go find another email provider. I hope if they do that they will at least compare what's out there with what Yahoo! still provides.

                                    Kenneth

                                    > I finally decided to face it and tried the new mail in a little used yahoo account first..then on this one.
                                    >
                                    > went with what i say in my signature:
                                    >
                                    > "That is the way", he said. "But there are no stairs", I cried.
                                    > "You must throw yourself in", he replied. 'There is no other way. "
                                    >
                                    > I have to say it's a lot better than the " new mail" i tried on previous occasions, there is hope Classic brothers and sisters.
                                    >
                                    > though it took a little while to load the font/size/emoticons i guess...as well as auto address...they did show up .
                                    >

                                    > it's actually still better than google.
                                    > will see how it goes.
                                    >

                                    > adds
                                    >

                                    > "That is the way", he said. "But there are no stairs", I cried.
                                    > "You must throw yourself in", he replied. 'There is no other way. "
                                    >
                                    > -- George MacDonald

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • jchan212
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 20, 2013
                                      Does anyone know how to contact Yahoo about keeping Yahoo Classic Mail alive?

                                      I may be one of the few people out there that still uses Yahoo Classic, but since there are millions of Yahoo E-mail users, I doubt that I'm the only one who enjoys using Yahoo Classic over other e-mails. I expect people will just get frustrated and switch to Gmail. There are several things that Yahoo Classic does better for my personal usage, and it comes down to "Simple is Better."

                                      (1) Yahoo Classic is a lot simpler to ZOOM in on Tiny print and view the full page. I may have bad eyesight and my HD wide laptop makes all the webpages smaller, so I have an automatic zoom (I also tried the new Yahoo Mail, and it doesn't work because of my zoom settings - so that's a MAJOR BUG). But the Zoom doesn't render well in Gmail either because of the e-mail frames that show only half the e-mail message in the frame within a frame.

                                      (2)I receive several newsletters that can be read easiest on Yahoo Classic like - Daily Techcrunch, Daily BI, Thrillist, that require easy Zooming. I find that Meetup E-mails look best in Yahoo Classic. If I am forced to read these in Gmail, I will just cancel the subscriptions, and not read the blogs. I would hope those Companies want Yahoo Classic ALIVE, because their loyal readers enjoy getting their E-mails.

                                      (3)Yahoo Classic allows for Right-Click/Tabs of individual messages. I just find this more convenient and the quickest way to open and read a lot of messages. Gmail does not allow Right-Tabbing of individual messages. I think Gmail is good for business e-mails and text e-mails, but the frames make it difficult to view Newsletters.

                                      Overall, if Yahoo eliminates Yahoo Classic, I expect them to upset and lose loyal older adults who have used their E-mail service for decades. Perhaps, Yahoo is secretly trying to get rid of wealthy adults, to go after the cool, college customer. Its unfortunate and sad that Yahoo has resorted to this, and I expect this forced Yahoo Mail change will lose those Loyal Yahoo Classic users, instead of keeping them.
                                    • adeomus ********
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 21, 2013

                                         i agree with you...have been using new mail for a bit now, and it excels at wasting time.
                                        classic was faster in so many ways, fewer steps and even faster loading time for individual emails !
                                        we seem to be going backwards.

                                        adds

                                        -- George MacDonald

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 21, 2013
                                          Yesterday when I went to do my mail, a screen came up telling me I had to switch and gave me a choice of basic or fully featured.  Before clicking on anything I scrolled to the bottom and lo and behold there was a clickable thingy that said "Remind me later".  I clicked on that and I was into my old classic mauil LOL.  Not sure how long this will last but I am a diehard classic fan and will stick with it as long as I can LOL.

                                          Lorrie

                                          Lorries Green World
                                          http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                                          Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

                                        • Bruce Lund
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 22, 2013
                                            Yup, you can stay (for now) but they have already disabled search. They will likely be making things more and more painful as time goes by.

                                            Bruce Lund