Re: [Y-Mail] bye windows ?/Bye Bye BT

  • Sasafrass452
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 4, 2013
      That's why some have a "dual-boot" system, but it all depends on your needs.

      **Sasafrass452**
      http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
      http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
      On 06/03/2013 09:46 PM, Donna Lee wrote:

      Personally I would keep windows on the PC in the event that you need to use it. But that is just my opinion. :)

      Donna Ford Lee
      Tulsa, OK

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 5, 2013

        thank you !!

        adds

        -- George MacDonald

        From: Lena <Lena@...>
        Subject: [Y-Mail] Re: Bye Bye BT
        To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com

        In comments to another article:
        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/jendave43130/yahoo-email-hacking_n_3366259_257831999.html

        > Our email has been hacked twice. I used Yahoos safeguards and
        > made it so that if anyone tried to log onto my account from a
        > different computer it would send a temporary password to my
        > cell phone to be able to log on from that computer. It worked for
        > a little over a year. I found out that this doesn't work if you
        > log in from a cell phone. As a result I was hacked the second time.

        It's what this link-spamming malware does: using a bot/trojan in
        another user's Windows in a random country, it enters password
        (stolen with a Windows trojan installed with a drive-by exploit kit)
        on yahooMail's mobile website (circumwenting yahoo's "second
        sign-in verification"), gets the login cookie and uses it on
        regular yahooMail website for harversting email addresses from
        address book or/and Sent and Inbox folders and spamming them
        with a link. The link redirects to a drive-by exploit kit,
        it silently installs a trojan/bot and optionally redirects
        to a scam website. The trojan steals new victims' passwords,
        the felon grows his botnet for attacking websites for ransom.
        Victims become racketeer's accomplices.

        Many webmasters use Windows too. Using trojans, felons steal
        FTP passwords and contaminate legitimate websites too,
        so "not clicking suspicious links" is not enough.
        The drive-by exploit kits and stealthy encrypted polymorphic trojans
        evade or disable all antivirses, the felons continuously check
        against multiple antiviruses and evolve the malware.
        Antivirus vendors lost the war. Security holes in Windows
        are perpetual - deliberately: who'd buy new Windows version
        if a previous one worked just fine?
        All the drive-by exploit kits and trojans can work under
        Windows only. Free operating systems (able to work on
        usual computers instead of Windows) are too diverse
        to be mass-exploited and are written with security in mind.
        If you use Windows then your passwords will be stolen
        (no matter how strong/complicate they are),
        it's just a matter of time.
        But people continue to use Windows...

            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • Sasafrass452
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6, 2013
          Happy to help :)

          **Sasafrass452**
          http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
          http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
          On 06/05/2013 08:29 PM, adeomus ******** wrote:

          thank you !!

          adds

          -- George MacDonald

          > Our email has been hacked twice. I used Yahoos safeguards and
          > made it so that if anyone tried to log onto my account from a
          > different computer it would send a temporary password to my
          > cell phone to be able to log on from that computer. It worked for
          > a little over a year. I found out that this doesn't work if you
          > log in from a cell phone. As a result I was hacked the second time.

          It's what this link-spamming malware does: using a bot/trojan in
          another user's Windows in a random country, it enters password
          (stolen with a Windows trojan installed with a drive-by exploit kit)
          on yahooMail's mobile website (circumwenting yahoo's "second
          sign-in verification"), gets the login cookie and uses it on
          regular yahooMail website for harversting email addresses from
          address book or/and Sent and Inbox folders and spamming them
          with a link. The link redirects to a drive-by exploit kit,
          it silently installs a trojan/bot and optionally redirects
          to a scam website. The trojan steals new victims' passwords,
          the felon grows his botnet for attacking websites for ransom.
          Victims become racketeer's accomplices.

          Many webmasters use Windows too. Using trojans, felons steal
          FTP passwords and contaminate legitimate websites too,
          so "not clicking suspicious links" is not enough.
          The drive-by exploit kits and stealthy encrypted polymorphic trojans
          evade or disable all antivirses, the felons continuously check
          against multiple antiviruses and evolve the malware.
          Antivirus vendors lost the war. Security holes in Windows
          are perpetual - deliberately: who'd buy new Windows version
          if a previous one worked just fine?
          All the drive-by exploit kits and trojans can work under
          Windows only. Free operating systems (able to work on
          usual computers instead of Windows) are too diverse
          to be mass-exploited and are written with security in mind.
          If you use Windows then your passwords will be stolen
          (no matter how strong/complicate they are),
          it's just a matter of time.
          But people continue to use Windows...

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
        • Mayaranger
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
            Hard drives are so cheap now that I prefer just to replace the Windows drive with a new one dedicated to Linux. I got a new Seagate 120 GB in sealed antistatic envelope delivered to my door for $20 total.

            On a laptop that can be done about as easy as changing the big battery.

            On a destop, the bios can be configured to boot from the new disk and the old disk, put into a secondary position where it does not boot but is available for file reading and writing.

            Should the user ever want their Windows system back, just switch them back. For me, I never want to go back to Windows. I use Linux Mint which is now the leading distribution. See at www.distrowatch.com on home page about halfway down on the right "Page Hit Ranking".

            I just noticed the second one in the list, Mageia, that I never heard of before. Significantly, Ubuntu is now in third place after being #1 for years.

            If you are a Mac Head then try Pinguy, now #39 on the list. It has the docking station, etc.
          • adeomus ********
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013

              thank you !!
              adds

              -- George MacDonald

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 16, 2013

                Let me put my two cents in and say that I use Ubuntu, or technically Kubuntu which is Ubuntu with the KDE Desktop. The KDE Desktop is said to be resource hungry, meaning you should not use KDE if you have an old computer. It is also criticized for trying too hard to look like the Windows desktop, but that may be a good option for those transferring from Windows. Of course, the new Windows desktop has similarities to the default Ubuntu desktop.

                Most Linux distributions are available as a Live CD, though they may also be burned to a DVD or copied to a bootable thumb drive. I would highly recommend trying several distributions that way before committing to installing Linux to your hard drive.

                Also note that although Yahoo has Linux software available at downloads.yahoo.com/software/linux, the Yahoo software for Linux (like Yahoo Messenger) is extremely old and not installable on most Linux distributions.

                Tom

                On 06/09/2013 12:55 AM, adeomus ******** wrote:

                thank you !!
                adds