Re: [Y-Mail] Bye Bye BT

  • Donna Lee
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2013
      After doing a search - I think it is British Telecom but I may be wrong.

      Donna Ford Lee  ♂+♀=♡
      Tulsa, OK

      Sent Via My iPhone

      On Jun 1, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

      The link doesn't work. What is BT?
      **Sasafrass452**
    • JohnKelly
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2013
        Here is a further update,

        BT, the UK-based telecommunications company with more than 18 million customers, is dumping Yahoo Mail following a successful hacking campaign that hijacked e-mail accounts and used them to send spam, according to published reports...........

        http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/yahoo-mail-reportedly-loses-key-customer-following-mass-hack-attack/

        Interesting to read the readers comments.

        JohnKelly
        GuardGroup

        ==========================

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris J Brady wrote:

        > BT and Yahoo Mail part company.
        >
        > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/uk.people.silversurfers/yjQdYr8xW-w
        >
        > CJB

      • Phil Faust
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2013
          British telecom

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 1, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Donna Lee <donna74128@...> wrote:

          I got it to open. But elaborate -What is BT? I do not do well with acronyms.

          Donna Ford Lee ♂+♀=♡
          Tulsa, OK

          Sent Via My iPhone

          On May 31, 2013, at 6:18 PM, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...> wrote:

          > BT and Yahoo Mail part company.
          >
          > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/uk.people.silversurfers/yjQdYr8xW-w
          >
          > CJB

        • Lena
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 3, 2013
            In comments to another article:
            http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/jendave43130/yahoo-email-hacking_n_3366259_257831999.html

            > Our email has been hacked twice. I used Yahoos safeguards and
            > made it so that if anyone tried to log onto my account from a
            > different computer it would send a temporary password to my
            > cell phone to be able to log on from that computer. It worked for
            > a little over a year. I found out that this doesn't work if you
            > log in from a cell phone. As a result I was hacked the second time.

            It's what this link-spamming malware does: using a bot/trojan in
            another user's Windows in a random country, it enters password
            (stolen with a Windows trojan installed with a drive-by exploit kit)
            on yahooMail's mobile website (circumwenting yahoo's "second
            sign-in verification"), gets the login cookie and uses it on
            regular yahooMail website for harversting email addresses from
            address book or/and Sent and Inbox folders and spamming them
            with a link. The link redirects to a drive-by exploit kit,
            it silently installs a trojan/bot and optionally redirects
            to a scam website. The trojan steals new victims' passwords,
            the felon grows his botnet for attacking websites for ransom.
            Victims become racketeer's accomplices.

            Many webmasters use Windows too. Using trojans, felons steal
            FTP passwords and contaminate legitimate websites too,
            so "not clicking suspicious links" is not enough.
            The drive-by exploit kits and stealthy encrypted polymorphic trojans
            evade or disable all antivirses, the felons continuously check
            against multiple antiviruses and evolve the malware.
            Antivirus vendors lost the war. Security holes in Windows
            are perpetual - deliberately: who'd buy new Windows version
            if a previous one worked just fine?
            All the drive-by exploit kits and trojans can work under
            Windows only. Free operating systems (able to work on
            usual computers instead of Windows) are too diverse
            to be mass-exploited and are written with security in mind.
            If you use Windows then your passwords will be stolen
            (no matter how strong/complicate they are),
            it's just a matter of time.
            But people continue to use Windows...
          • adeomus ********
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 3, 2013

              if windows is on our puters when we get them, what do we do
              and what do we use please ?
               would regular browsers do without windows ?
              i know...am real tech naive.

              adds

              -- George MacDonald

              > Our email has been hacked twice. I used Yahoos safeguards and
              > made it so that if anyone tried to log onto my account from a
              > different computer it would send a temporary password to my
              > cell phone to be able to log on from that computer. It worked for
              > a little over a year. I found out that this doesn't work if you
              > log in from a cell phone. As a result I was hacked the second time.

              It's what this link-spamming malware does: using a bot/trojan in
              another user's Windows in a random country, it enters password
              (stolen with a Windows trojan installed with a drive-by exploit kit)
              on yahooMail's mobile website (circumwenting yahoo's "second
              sign-in verification"), gets the login cookie and uses it on
              regular yahooMail website for harversting email addresses from
              address book or/and Sent and Inbox folders and spamming them
              with a link. The link redirects to a drive-by exploit kit,
              it silently installs a trojan/bot and optionally redirects
              to a scam website. The trojan steals new victims' passwords,
              the felon grows his botnet for attacking websites for ransom.
              Victims become racketeer's accomplices.

              Many webmasters use Windows too. Using trojans, felons steal
              FTP passwords and contaminate legitimate websites too,
              so "not clicking suspicious links" is not enough.
              The drive-by exploit kits and stealthy encrypted polymorphic trojans
              evade or disable all antivirses, the felons continuously check
              against multiple antiviruses and evolve the malware.
              Antivirus vendors lost the war. Security holes in Windows
              are perpetual - deliberately: who'd buy new Windows version
              if a previous one worked just fine?
              All the drive-by exploit kits and trojans can work under
              Windows only. Free operating systems (able to work on
              usual computers instead of Windows) are too diverse
              to be mass-exploited and are written with security in mind.
              If you use Windows then your passwords will be stolen
              (no matter how strong/complicate they are),
              it's just a matter of time.
              But people continue to use Windows...

                  Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

            • Sasafrass452
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 3, 2013
                You can try Linux, there are many versions available & they're free :) It all depends on your taste & needs. Do the research first, then once you decide which one to try, you simply download the .iso & burn it to a disc. The website for the company that makes it should provide instructions on burning & installing the OS. They should also have a support forum, so you can get help with any questions you have. As far as browsers go, Firefox works just fine, & should come with any version of Linux you choose. The best part about Linux is that it's low maintainance, & there's no viruses or spyware to worry about :)

                **Sasafrass452**
                http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 3, 2013

                  thank you !!!
                  :)

                  and...if Windows is on the computer, do we ignore it, or do we delete it ?

                  adds

                  -- George MacDonald

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 3, 2013
                    Personally I would keep windows on the PC in the event that you need to use it. But that is just my opinion. :)

                    Donna Ford Lee
                    Tulsa, OK

[...]

                      "Thatis the way", he said. "But there are no stairs", I cried.

                      --George MacDonald

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 5, 2013

                          thank you !!

                          adds

                          -- George MacDonald

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 6, 2013
                            Happy to help :)

                            **Sasafrass452**
                            http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                            http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
                            On 06/05/2013 08:29 PM, adeomus ******** wrote:

                            thank you !!

                            adds

                            -- George MacDonald

                            > Our email has been hacked twice. I used Yahoos safeguards and
                            > made it so that if anyone tried to log onto my account from a
                            > different computer it would send a temporary password to my
                            > cell phone to be able to log on from that computer. It worked for
                            > a little over a year. I found out that this doesn't work if you
                            > log in from a cell phone. As a result I was hacked the second time.

                            It's what this link-spamming malware does: using a bot/trojan in
                            another user's Windows in a random country, it enters password
                            (stolen with a Windows trojan installed with a drive-by exploit kit)
                            on yahooMail's mobile website (circumwenting yahoo's "second
                            sign-in verification"), gets the login cookie and uses it on
                            regular yahooMail website for harversting email addresses from
                            address book or/and Sent and Inbox folders and spamming them
                            with a link. The link redirects to a drive-by exploit kit,
                            it silently installs a trojan/bot and optionally redirects
                            to a scam website. The trojan steals new victims' passwords,
                            the felon grows his botnet for attacking websites for ransom.
                            Victims become racketeer's accomplices.

                            Many webmasters use Windows too. Using trojans, felons steal
                            FTP passwords and contaminate legitimate websites too,
                            so "not clicking suspicious links" is not enough.
                            The drive-by exploit kits and stealthy encrypted polymorphic trojans
                            evade or disable all antivirses, the felons continuously check
                            against multiple antiviruses and evolve the malware.
                            Antivirus vendors lost the war. Security holes in Windows
                            are perpetual - deliberately: who'd buy new Windows version
                            if a previous one worked just fine?
                            All the drive-by exploit kits and trojans can work under
                            Windows only. Free operating systems (able to work on
                            usual computers instead of Windows) are too diverse
                            to be mass-exploited and are written with security in mind.
                            If you use Windows then your passwords will be stolen
                            (no matter how strong/complicate they are),
                            it's just a matter of time.
                            But people continue to use Windows...

                                Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                            (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                          • Mayaranger
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
                              Hard drives are so cheap now that I prefer just to replace the Windows drive with a new one dedicated to Linux. I got a new Seagate 120 GB in sealed antistatic envelope delivered to my door for $20 total.

                              On a laptop that can be done about as easy as changing the big battery.

                              On a destop, the bios can be configured to boot from the new disk and the old disk, put into a secondary position where it does not boot but is available for file reading and writing.

                              Should the user ever want their Windows system back, just switch them back. For me, I never want to go back to Windows. I use Linux Mint which is now the leading distribution. See at www.distrowatch.com on home page about halfway down on the right "Page Hit Ranking".

                              I just noticed the second one in the list, Mageia, that I never heard of before. Significantly, Ubuntu is now in third place after being #1 for years.

                              If you are a Mac Head then try Pinguy, now #39 on the list. It has the docking station, etc.
                            • adeomus ********
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013

                                thank you !!
                                adds

                                -- George MacDonald

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 16, 2013

                                  Let me put my two cents in and say that I use Ubuntu, or technically Kubuntu which is Ubuntu with the KDE Desktop. The KDE Desktop is said to be resource hungry, meaning you should not use KDE if you have an old computer. It is also criticized for trying too hard to look like the Windows desktop, but that may be a good option for those transferring from Windows. Of course, the new Windows desktop has similarities to the default Ubuntu desktop.

                                  Most Linux distributions are available as a Live CD, though they may also be burned to a DVD or copied to a bootable thumb drive. I would highly recommend trying several distributions that way before committing to installing Linux to your hard drive.

                                  Also note that although Yahoo has Linux software available at downloads.yahoo.com/software/linux, the Yahoo software for Linux (like Yahoo Messenger) is extremely old and not installable on most Linux distributions.

                                  Tom

                                  On 06/09/2013 12:55 AM, adeomus ******** wrote:

                                  thank you !!
                                  adds