Re: [Y-Mail] Strange Warning

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23 1:56 PM
      Chris,

      > I received this email supposedly from Yahoo Admin about misusing my
      > Yahoo account - which I have had for about 15 years without problems.
      > There are no explicit details. Is it genuine, ...

      Everything I can see looks legit: specifically the use of the yahoo.com
      domain for links and the yahoo-inc.com domain for email -- those are
      Yahoo. Usually the tell-tale for a fraud or phisher is a reply-to or a
      link that isn't Yahoo.

      > and what have I done wrong? And how can I find out what I have done
      > wrong?

      I've no clue there, unfortunately.

      -- Shal
    • adeomus ********
      Message 2 of 10 , May 23 5:26 PM

        there is a LOT of crap that goes to my spam folder from " yahoo", which is not worth the paper it's written on.
        good thing you don;t click on anything !!!

        adds

        -- George MacDonald

        From: [This sender is DomainKeys verified] "Yahoo!" <no-reply@...-inc.com>
        Add sender to Contacts
        To: undisclosed-recipients

        Dear Yahoo! account holder:

        By creating and using your Yahoo! account, you agree to abide by
        Yahoo!'s Terms of Service (TOS).  Pursuant to the TOS, Yahoo! reserves
        the right to terminate your account or otherwise prohibit use of your
        account in the event that, among other things, Yahoo! believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the TOS.

        It has come to our attention that you may have violated the TOS.
        Please reread the TOS and cease any use of your account that may
        violate the TOS.

        If your use of your Yahoo! account is brought to our attention again,
        and we believe that such use violates the TOS, then we may terminate
        your account without further notice.

        Please do not reply to this email.  Any questions concerning Yahoo!'s
        Services should be submitted through the on-line form in the help area
        ( http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/help ).

        - Yahoo! UK & Ireland

        ====

        The link above goes to: uk.docs.yahoo.com/help which I will not click on in case its a virus.

        ====

        The header is:

        X-YMailISG:     mFKw038WLDtR5DKD1y65ZSidXscKyz9UAIRNbgpEt56ogffz DetbzTOIocTocoDaUrE.zyN1PLQArcYu8bt9xdpaeT2pQBwU99lipbcurKB9 c6cxwqHo5FQJlK1f.sdMJqnKg6TpjKHI6yIFxd7vPf3sx4HM76QdpHIY7etE fXUL4h5io7c5WlFH7DIJal6ZhYOe6dlD0sSImCMSSRu3TG8amaBgzpNpxgZs QaygLSZ.rqce5KybAK9EESBRGePuwgTLwXkxT3rWVsre2VUn5LnihRgPc3nS XroowqgGuABY_OzeM4Bf7kOCv1W2Owbp895Z6Q4e9TuHtsl4dCDhJ4Nfj5ZB 9p.kZf6R4iJkyhdhcHocg8AGBpuW8qDEe6ArLQ3ZO61gs.7FwzJPJMnyxGoa 5bfnWKp.qre7xtoPWQO5XOOqpOo48H2fvlqpKkUrEq84vhv5NLTMN3SV26e2 7o6yadHtpgetnqbQ7v1QFwUsigr6SW7YhD0r7nL06IRpBrpdexh1MGucEfiJ KaD.vrUVjCr9oyUjYiFguK6vIq8d1hNhKnWDRXJpXHd4LuMlyLTWxYgpjy9. j1dhDBY5RgYan_wv4yTzwOFyKX.r17XC5d_JQbaHlTaVdAbN_lIMAUZPlWgl WL7Gn.5WhQa6rG6s8rY6WaIzxK7Z3vo81UVnaDW4HBH5WXKt4kTInT7stekD 0MPiDgdXdY2ZJXekB_jga1M0kblHhAcufhq7gckNVyT64QSzBhWRMALbFa0g OKXigQF_1B.sHbBPzfRh1ku50YeF5wostmS296bPxI1HveEfwXjWGVqD7r9F CO_hFW387uC5RyBX.Zdo4zDEHF0mI7_GfLQ80i0a_se.O_uZQjYgbAHFSeWp PxArmp.1nPcZksYmt23YIqA4bnAs.XgmZ9uP9eEKkC36QfJBhb.vlszBE3uj 7hwzzETv8eHQUdWZK4RV5gPKNLHQiM..yl9t89_ACT.ieUykVNG2hCfFWATn YCPJYXOGoyq1gSAYkXevBQ14wpopR76fa1ZTUyAQ3XP82IOnUywH_mDMAReP jX8uotdQNUP7k9q9tSnuIfMPKE736AwC0FVMiLwJLRch9g--
        DKIM-Signature:     v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=cc.yahoo-inc.com; s=fz10; t=1369297978; bh=wvMZzPALq8NDCsTkKA+IK3Xo1Yn/zeVQlCYSPzlySJA=; h=Received:Received:Date:Received:From:Reply-To:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id; b=r0tRC/3S+x076JWkSu6qVSAaYXYWd0PtWZ0+VhJ6wGKIWjk191L/x8P/pE1SgH9GEkT1cAL9V7/Bs0ekzR+IjupTmv+yqP9FJSPsD5nCB72cx/a+sSEeQwF7xe4DhH5EDVMfnTYqayxPlbMj06NI5F/EwRRggoKnpN85A42HZLk=
        Date:     23 May 2013 01:32:58 -0700
        From:    This sender is DomainKeys verified Yahoo! <no-reply@...-inc.com>  Add sender to Contacts
        Subject:     Yahoo! Administrative Notice

        ====

            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • Jason M.
        Message 3 of 10 , May 24 6:29 AM
          Chris, this is a very poorly disguised phishing attempt.  That e-mail is NOT from Yahoo.  Look at the domain in the "From" line.  It says "cc.yahoo-inc.com".  If it were really from Yahoo!, it would not have come from a fake domain name like "yahoo-inc.com".

          -Jason

          Date:    23 May 2013 01:32:58 -0700
          From:    This sender is DomainKeys verified Yahoo! <no-reply@...-inc.com>  Add sender to Contacts

          ====

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • Bill Todd
          Message 4 of 10 , May 24 9:35 AM
            plus another tell tale sign is the fact they didn't use your email address they used undisclosed-recipients and didn't call you by your name instead they used "dear yahoo account holder"
            if it was from yahoo they would call you by your first and last names and use your email address

            --
            bill

            i own the following groups
            mrsp    non adult shares  ask for invite

            rapidsharevideo   ask for invite
          • lena_kiev
            Message 5 of 10 , May 24 9:36 AM
              > That e-mail is NOT from Yahoo.  Look at the domain in the "From" line.
              > It says "cc.yahoo-inc.com".

              It's real yahoo's corporate domain, used by yahoo employees.
              All IP-addresses also are yahoo's. But the content discourages
              everybody to rely on yahoo. Apparently, anybody can make false
              or misguided accusations resulting in loss of email address, stored mail
              and everything else connected with the yahooID.
            • Shal Farley
              Message 6 of 10 , May 24 11:17 AM
                Jason,

                > NOT from Yahoo. Look at the domain in the "From" line. It says
                > "cc.yahoo-inc.com". If it were really from Yahoo!, it would not have
                > come from a fake domain name like "yahoo-inc.com".

                That's not a fake domain. yahoo-inc.com is the corporate domain used by
                Yahoo staff, distinct from yahoo.com (which is just any old user).

                whois yahoo-inc.com:
                <http://www.whois.com/whois/yahoo-inc.com>

                -- Shal

                On 5/24/2013 6:29 AM, Jason M. wrote:

                > Chris, this is a very poorly disguised phishing attempt. That e-mail is
                > NOT from Yahoo. Look at the domain in the "From" line. It says
                > "cc.yahoo-inc.com". If it were really from Yahoo!, it would not have
                > come from a fake domain name like "yahoo-inc.com".
                > -Jason

              • Wolfgang Exler
                Message 7 of 10 , May 24 11:39 AM
                  Hi Jason,

                  I ask you to ho to www.whois.com and verify who is the owner of the domain

                  yahoo-inc.com

                  I'm sure you will be impressed

                  Wolfgang

                  Date:    23 May 2013 01:32:58 -0700
                  From:    This sender is DomainKeys verified Yahoo! <no-reply@...-inc.com>  Add sender to Contacts

                  ====

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 25 10:22 AM
                    Ha!  Figures that Yahoo corporate would deliberately choose a domain name that fails every anti-phishing test known to man!  If you google "cc.yahoo-inc.com scam", you get a zillion Yahoo! Answers queries from people who think it's a false domain name...