Hanging On to Classic For Dear Life

  • fggybttm
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14 1:27 AM
      I've found that the updated Yahoo mail program that's replacing Classic will not have some features that I really liked/loved: a variety of fonts from which to choose, and the "check all (mail)" feature, which was wonderful when reviewing scads of search results, or a whole box (in/sent/draft/etc), for example.

      And I already miss the rather 'caring' attitude of Yahoo of past years. The present administration seems rather 'indifferent'.

      Also, not being electronically hip, what is a viewable difference between this 'html' thing and Javascript, or do I need to know? And will we have to live with that purple fron now on?

      Hope to hear from someone/anyone. I'm feeling I'm on a very much appreciated 'sinking ship' ;-((

      FB
    • Shal Farley
      Message 2 of 8 , May 14 10:29 AM
        FB,

        > Also, not being electronically hip, what is a viewable difference
        > between this 'html' thing and Javascript, or do I need to know?

        Generally you don't need to know. Both are used between web servers and
        web browsers as the way to describe how a web page is to be presented.
        Both are included in modern browsers, and many web sites are built
        assuming that both are available in the browser.

        HTML is the original language of web browsing. Most fundamentally it
        specifies how text in one page can be used as a link to some other place
        on this page or on another page -- That's the "HT" in HTML (HyperText
        Markup Language). It also includes elements to describe how text,
        pictures and other things on the page are to be displayed (size, color,
        font, relative position, etc).

        JavaScript is a programming language, generally invoked within an HTML
        page, that allows the page description to be changed dynamically, within
        the browser, without needing to re-fetch the entire page from the
        server. It is generally used to make the page more interactive.

        Yahoo Mail Classic uses HTML but not JavaScript. The current Yahoo Mail
        uses both.

        -- Shal

      • adeomus ********
        Message 3 of 8 , May 14 6:18 PM
          gotta say...the knowledgeable people on this group are absolutely wonderful !!

          adds

          -- George MacDonald

          > Also, not being electronically hip, what is a viewable difference
          > between this 'html' thing and Javascript, or do I need to know?

          Generally you don't need to know. Both are used between web servers and
          web browsers as the way to describe how a web page is to be presented.
          Both are included in modern browsers, and many web sites are built
          assuming that both are available in the browser.

          HTML is the original language of web browsing. Most fundamentally it
          specifies how text in one page can be used as a link to some other place
          on this page or on another page -- That's the "HT" in HTML (HyperText
          Markup Language). It also includes elements to describe how text,
          pictures and other things on the page are to be displayed (size, color,
          font, relative position, etc).

          JavaScript is a programming language, generally invoked within an HTML
          page, that allows the page description to be changed dynamically, within
          the browser, without needing to re-fetch the entire page from the
          server. It is generally used to make the page more interactive.

          Yahoo Mail Classic uses HTML but not JavaScript. The current Yahoo Mail
          uses both.

          -- Shal

          On 5/14/2013 1:27 AM, fggybttm wrote:
          > I've found that the updated Yahoo mail program that's replacing
          > Classic will not have some features that I really liked/loved:  a
          > variety of fonts from which to choose, and the "check all (mail)"
          > feature, which was wonderful when reviewing scads of search results,
          > or a whole box (in/sent/draft/etc), for example.
          >
          > And I already miss the rather 'caring' attitude of Yahoo of past
          > years. The present administration seems rather 'indifferent'.
          >
          > Also, not being electronically hip, what is a viewable difference
          > between this 'html' thing and Javascript, or do I need to know?  And
          > will we have to live with that     purple    fron now on?
          >
          > Hope to hear from someone/anyone.  I'm feeling I'm on a very much
          > appreciated 'sinking ship' ;-((
          >
          > FB

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • Kenneth
          Message 4 of 8 , May 14 7:57 PM
            I'm looking at compose for the newest Yahoo! Mail. I do see a variety of fonts from which to choose. And while I'm not sure what you mean by "check all (mail)", search seems to be working fine too. Search gives you a results screen for matching email from all folders and then allows you to filter those results down to specific senders, dates, folders, status (unread, replied, starred, forwarded), and attachment type.

            Kenneth

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "fggybttm" <fggybttm@...> wrote:

            > I've found that the updated Yahoo mail program that's replacing Classic will not have some features that I really liked/loved: a variety of fonts from which to choose, and the "check all (mail)" feature, which was wonderful when reviewing scads of search results, or a whole box (in/sent/draft/etc), for example.
            >
            > And I already miss the rather 'caring' attitude of Yahoo of past years. The present administration seems rather 'indifferent'.
            >
            > Also, not being electronically hip, what is a viewable difference between this 'html' thing and Javascript, or do I need to know? And will we have to live with that purple fron now on?
            >
            > Hope to hear from someone/anyone. I'm feeling I'm on a very much appreciated 'sinking ship' ;-((
            >
            > FB

          • Jason M.
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15 6:24 AM
              New mail has a choice of 8 fonts.  I've been on "new" mail (and the Beta version before that) since 2007 and have only dim memories of "classic" - did classic have more than 8 fonts?  When I was on classic (in the late '90s) I only ever used the default choice, which is Arial.  I also have a "check all" box feature on the current version of "New" - it's not labeled as such, but it does check all e-mails within a given folders with the push of a single button - but maybe there are still different versions of New going around?

              -Jason

              Message 6 of 8 , May 18 10:54 AM
                Yes Jason M. Classic does have more then 8 fonts. They have 10 fonts listed. I commonly use Verdana when I use the rich text mood.

                I am hanging on to MY Classic for dearest life. A fat lot of good it will do.

                My hunt for a descant replacement email provider for Classic has not gone well. Looks at mail.com. That is one BAD email UGH!. Gmail is 'ok'. But man I feel like it's suck a down grade. The Classic Mail is still far and the away the best email version out there.

                When yah(ell) kills Classic, there is NO DAMN way anyone can put them on a top 10 or 100 list of best email services.

                I still might try a zoho account. But from everything I read. It's seriously directed at the small businesses users and the like.

                There is so little to choose from out there. :(

                IF ANYONE FROM YAHOO DOES READ THIS GROUP FROM TIME TO TIME.

                PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! LET SOMEONE BUY OUR GROUPS FROM YOU. THEN .. GO OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                And yes.. I sooo... wish they would. The would and the internet would be a far better place.

                Sherry. (very very unhappy)
                PS. I am at the point where I would pay a small fee to keep Classic.
                Better then getting stuck a newer lesser email service. :(

                -------------------
                This was written and posted from the groups home page.
              • KR
                Message 7 of 8 , May 18 4:42 PM
                  I still might try a zoho account.
                  Sherry.