Re: [Y-Mail] Re: alternatives/Classic Yahoo Mail Surrogates out there, was new Ya

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 51 , Apr 29, 2013

      > In your case, it's search. In mine, it is the use of tabs.

      When I double-click a message in Yahoo Mail (the current, "new", one) the message opens in a tab. But not a browser tab, a tab within Yahoo Mail's display. I can have several messages open in these "tabs", along with the inbox, contacts, calendar, and options. The one thing I can't seem to achieve is having two folders open in tabs.

      I was going to complain about switching between tabs, but searching Help reveals the ? command which pops-up a handy shortcut list. So now I need to remember to Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] instead of Ctrl+Tab (which still switches browser tabs, of course).

      The other thing I like to do (a lot) is to pop a tab out into its own browser window. That lets me side-by-side things visually. Trying that in Chrome gave me two windows with Yahoo Mail open in each, and independently browsable, so I think that works ok too. Haven't done much with that though.

      Is that the functionality you're concerned with?

      As far as I know they haven't previewed the HTML-only ("basic") version of Yahoo Mail, but I expect it will work with browser tabs the way Classic does -- absent JavaScript it can't really do anything else. Whether the rest of its UI is worth using remains to be seen. As does the question of whether users will be able to switch between the HTML-only and the JavaScript version easily (without having to temporarily disable JavaScript in their browser).

      -- Shal
    • adeomus ********
      Message 51 of 51 , May 9, 2013

        thank you so much, very much appreciated !!

        -- George MacDonald