Re: [Y-Mail] Long Time Problem Yahoo Pop Mail

  • Harryh
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2013
      I have had issues with POP mail as well, mainly because I often use non-supported clients.  I have found that some supported clients are more forgiving of time-out errors than other clients, thus masking issues with Yahoo's POP implementation.  In order to locate implementation issues, I have had to resort to TELNET (Google  that if you are confused).  Sadly most of Yahoo tech support is clueless about the bog standard RFC1939 that defines how POP must work.  But higher level support can (and often will) accept transaction logs to define the issues.

      One issue some time ago was incomplete messages where attachments got truncated.  In order to work around that I had to use a supported client (Thunderbird), download attachments while leaving the messages on the server, then manually delete messages that were complete.  A new session would then retry to download the remainders and eventually (mostly) the messages were intact.  What a PITA.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2013
        At 02:43 PM 4/14/2013, you wrote:
        >Gene,
        >
        > > 1. I regularly get message that says incorrect username or password.
        > >
        > > 2. To fix the error I need to go to yahoo and change my Yahoo password
        > > to a new password. I cannot use the same password.
        >
        >Interesting problem. I don't use paid Yahoo Mail so I can't directly
        >help you, but I can say that with other mail services I've had to
        >adjust Eudora's "Secure Sockets" option to match changes made by
        >those services in the last year or so. That said, I've had more
        >trouble with SMTP authentication while sending than I have with just
        >checking mail, so this may or may not relate to your issue.

        Update on the problem All of a sudden yesterday the problem went
        away. So it looks like all along it was Yahoo's problem