Re: [Y-Mail] java vs javascipt ?/alternatives/Classic Yahoo Mail Surrogates out there, was new Ya

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 51 , Apr 26 11:37 PM
      adds,

      > what is the difference between java and javascript please ?

      In short:

      Yahoo Mail does not use Java. Not in any version.

      The new Yahoo Mail uses JavaScript to make the web pages and the controls on the pages dynamic (interactive). Yahoo Mail Classic (and its replacement) do not use JavaScript.

      Technically speaking:

      Java is a general purpose programming language (and a runtime environment for programs written in that language) promoted by Oracle corporation. It can be used as a browser plug-in and executes in the plug-in as well as in the installed runtime component.

      JavaScript is a programming language for creating dynamic HTML pages. It is built into and executes within modern browsers. It is used by most web sites to provide user interaction on the page without reloading.

      > java keeps asking to update and i have ignored for a long long time.

      That's a *very bad idea*: Java has been a major source of exploit vulnerabilities. Those who need it should keep up with the security patches as quickly as possible.

      Those who don't need it (and that's nearly all of us) should un-install it. In Windows you can un-install it via the Control Panel ("Add/Remove Programs" in XP, "Programs and Features" in 7).

      -- Shal
    • adeomus ********
      Message 51 of 51 , May 9, 2013

        thank you so much, very much appreciated !!
        adds

        -- George MacDonald