Re: [Y-Mail] Re: alternatives/Classic Yahoo Mail Surrogates out there, was new Ya

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 51 , Apr 26, 2013
      S,

      >> I would expect so. The announcement on the blog says that they will
      >> detect dial-up or incapable browsers and direct you to an HTML-only (no
      >> Javascript) version of the new Yahoo Mail.
      >
      > I have been wondering what that means. I use XP home and my browser is
      > Firefox version 20.01 This must be the latest seeing they updated it a
      > month or so back,

      XP is fine, as is any recent version of Firefox -- you should be able to run the new Yahoo Mail just fine, unless you deliberately turn off JavaScript.

      > And just what is an HTML version?
      > Is Classic like that?

      Yes.

      If you disable JavaScript in your browser you will be prompted to turn it on when you attempt to access Yahoo Mail (perhaps only if you've already migrated to the New Yahoo Mail, those who never did might not need or get the prompt). You can opt to "continue without JavaScript" and today that will take you to Yahoo Mail Classic.

      > I just wish they'd leave the classic versions alone. If some many want
      > it and like me must have it. Then WHY are they doing this?

      Anyone who today /must/ have classic for those technical reasons will be directed to the HTML-only version of New mail after June 3rd. Those who want Classic for aesthetic or functional reasons might find the replacement acceptable; otherwise they'll apparently have to look elsewhere.

      > All the many other email providers out there must be just loving this.
      > they will get more users and Y will have less.

      I wonder if there are any other webmail providers that offer a non-JavaScript user interface. Certainly not Google, Microsoft or AOL.

      >> So at least those reasons for staying with classic will be obviated.
      >
      > Not from where I am sitting.

      It doesn't matter where you sit, I'm talking about technical reasons not opinions.

      -- Shal
    • adeomus ********
      Message 51 of 51 , May 9, 2013

        thank you so much, very much appreciated !!
        adds

        -- George MacDonald