Re: [Y-Mail] new Yahoo! Mail forced on all

  • lena_kiev
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013
      > You must use the new Yahoo Mail or switch providers.

      There is another way: one more web-interface of the same mailbox
      http://m.yahoo.com/mail
      It's designed for mobile devices, but works in usual browsers too.
      It may be a lesser evil, try.
    • adeomus ********
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013

        just so.

        ...magic has a habit of lying low,
        like a rake in the grass.

        ~Terry Pratchett
        ~

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013
          this will come in very handy,
          once again  thank you, Lena..you rock.

          adds

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • adeomus ********
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013

            hunh...pretty cavalier with business.

            reminds me of the separatists in quebec...when they first took power in the 70's, montreal was the financial hub of canada.
            yes, really.

            when they came into power, the head offices threatened to leave...
            the new gov't said
            good riddance.

            well, montreal went downhill from there, and now toronto is the financial hub of canada...where most of the business went.

            really good business practice, congratulations yahoo.
            what was the original definition of " yahoo" again ?
            http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yahoo

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013
              because they are soooooooo good at what they do
               and obviously they know something we don't...

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013
                Well, it's happening this time.... It can't hurt to go "shopping" in the meantime ;)

                **Sasafrass452**
                http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
                On 04/21/2013 05:02 PM, adeomus ******** wrote:

                they have said this before...they took support, they threatened and cajoled..but classic stayed for soem die hards.

                but if they do indeed  force us,
                 i will go kicking and screaming against my will ( for a short while til i get something else).
                and yahoo will be a dirty word in my house.

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013

                  yup, am doing so.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013
                    OK, I am here to ask all of you that use other providers for some help.

                    Currently I use Classic, which appears to be permanately going away.  Other than the fact that I have had no problems and the simplicity is what I love about it... the MAIN feature that I "need" (I figure I can learn something new if I HAVE to) is:

                    - When I reply to an email, I get the page that tells me the reply was sent and I have the option right there to Delete the original, Move it to a folder, Save it in the Inbox etc.

                    I have tried to find this option in other email programs, but so far no luck.

                    If any of you have found that option- PLEASE let me know what program it is!  I am kind of begging here, and I thank you in advance for any help!!

                    Kathy

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 22, 2013
                      Ditto.

                      Unfortunately, I am now having issues with Firefox so I can only see this in IE, but it is definitely an improvement over the new version. Definitely want to find another provider if this is forced on us.

                      Bruce

                      ------------------------------
                      On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 4:06 PM CDT adeomus ******** wrote:

                      >this will come in very handy,
                      >once again  thank you, Lena..you rock.
                      >
                      >adds
                      >

                      >...magic has a habit of lying low,
                      >like a rake in the grass.
                      >
                      >~Terry Pratchett~

                    • Bruce Lund
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 22, 2013
                        Shades of New Coke.

                        Unfortunately, I don't think mail is Yahoo's flagship product. And they offer it for free. And they are clearly willing to give up at least some of their customers.

                        Like so many other companies, they are abandoning a great product, and for what? I guess more money. Oh, well. Time to find something else.

                        Bruce Lund

                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 22, 2013
                              I have been a member here a few yrs. Just don;t post. But for this. I will. And YAHELL is listening/. All the better.

                              << they have said this before...they took support, they threatened and cajoled..but classic stayed for soem die hards. >>

                              In this case I wish that would happen. Just leave those of us who MUST use it lone!

                              << but if they do indeed force us, i will go kicking and screaming against my will ( for a short while til i get something else). >>

                              I won't wait that long. When they force the switch and kill my emails. I am gone.

                              I just wish someone could but the groups and then T! could be gone.

                              << and yahoo will be a dirty word in my house. >>

                              It already has been in mine for yrs.

                              Sherry H.
                              ---------------
                              Posted directly from the group home.
                              All my groups are set to NO MAIL for the duration.
                            • aprildancer3
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 22, 2013
                                << It costs money to keep extra versions of the mail running, & they want to focus on the new version. IMO, that's the best way to go. >>

                                Don't believe a word of that. It cost them next to or nothing. The]is is just to show that they think they can do what ever they want to whom ever they want.

                                Classic mail has worked better then it ever had. It's wonderful you use. Looks great. Works perfectly.

                                I could go on and on. But it comes down to ONE thing.

                                If something IS NOT broken. Don't try to fix it.

                                I think in the next month. Yahell is going to learn a HUGE lesson.

                                If you mess to much with people. they will take it no longer and fight back.

                                Best way I can think to do that. Is not just walk away from them and use others email services. But maybe even communicate your feeling to any and all the business that advertize on yahoo.

                                Hit them hard enough in their wallet. Then they'll sit up and listen.

                                The more we let them take. The more they will take. What is next. Attaching OUR groups again? We came together each time they tried crap. And every time we backed them off. What kills me. is why could we do that now?

                                Just from what I have read the past while here. Yahell is gonna loss a lot of email users. Which means less people to bring in money.

                                It has been so good to hear what most here feel. Makes a gal feel less alone.

                                Thanks for that all.

                                --------------------
                                posted at the group.
                              • Bruce Lund
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                                  >>>IMO, that's the best way to go.

                                  That from somebody who is using mail.com.

                                  I am sure it would be more efficient for Chevy to only have one model of vehicle but there is a reason they manufacture the Volt, Corvette and Silverado. And lots of other choices.

                                  It would be interesting to know just how many of their users are still on Classic and how many of them they believe will be abandoning Yahoo. I don't know about everybody else, but I see this as Yahoo taking away a bicycle and offering me stilts. They are both modes of transportation but there is no comparison regarding functionality and Classic's use of tabs is fundamental to that. (And Classic tabs are more functional in Firefox than IE.) Apparently the new version offers some options, but that would mean learning all new shortcuts with much less functionality.

                                  There is a reason I don't have stilts!

                                  Bruce Lund

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                                    Gmail does the same thing. They roll out changes without even telling users first. The difference is that it does not happen to all users at the same time.

                                    I honestly don't see the big deal with the "new" webmail interface. The only issue that I have is the odd way of displaying attached emails. This can be an issue if you subscribe to picture groups.

                                    Of course, the mobile mail page is likely to go away eventually. It is only available for those with older mobile devices that cannot install the mail app.

                                    There is something else that I discovered today. When I opened Yahoo mail with an unsupported browser, it used to send me the the HTML webmail. It no longer does that. Instead, it says to upgrade to Firefox or Safari. Apparently, Yahoo looks for MS Windows. If it doesn't find that, it assumes you are on an operating system for an Apple computer.

                                    I'm using Linux.
                                  • Sasafrass452