Long Time Problem Yahoo Pop Mail

  • Gene
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
      Subject: Long Time Problem Yahoo Pop Mail

      I have been having problems for about three months using Yahoo Pop mail with latest paid release of Eudora on Windows 7 machine. I have used Yahoo pop mailed for many years of running fine until this error began happening about three months again.

      1. I regularly get message that says incorrect username or password.

      2. To fix the error I need to go to yahoo and change my Yahoo password to a new password. I cannot use the same password.

      3. Then I go back to Eudora and delete the Yahoo password.

      4. Then I hit the get new messages button fill in the same new password and I can get Yahoo Pop mail just fine for about ten to fifteen minutes and then the error starts all over again every time I try to get mail for yahoo until I go back to step 2 and I get mail again for about fifteen minutes etc etc etc ......

      Notes: I have a laptop that I rarely use (not in 3 months when I did not get the error) and when I go to yahoo on that machine I get the same regular errors as main yahoo machine. No difference between machines.

      The two machines are not on the same network.

      Since the errors began I have reinstalled Eudora on the main machine with no change of the error that keeps happening as shown above.

      I get pop mail for about three other ISPs with no errors other than the one with yahoo.

      The problem has to be with Yahoo.

      On a regular day of checking mail I have to change password for Yahoo about ten times
    • Gene Ehrich
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
        I just got a different error for the first time I have seen in Eudora:

        Yahoo Account SSL Shutting Down Pop connection. Quit , error reading
        from network Cause: connection aborted due to timeout or other failure (10053).

        Might this be a clue to help solve the problem?
      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2013
          Gene,

          > 1. I regularly get message that says incorrect username or password.
          >
          > 2. To fix the error I need to go to yahoo and change my Yahoo password
          > to a new password. I cannot use the same password.

          Interesting problem. I don't use paid Yahoo Mail so I can't directly help you, but I can say that with other mail services I've had to adjust Eudora's "Secure Sockets" option to match changes made by those services in the last year or so. That said, I've had more trouble with SMTP authentication while sending than I have with just checking mail, so this may or may not relate to your issue.

          That's the kind of thing Yahoo may have changed, and which the terminology used by email services differs from Eudora's in ways that I found confusing. I've been reduced to trying the options to see which one(s) work with a given service.

          I don't know how to explain the ability to briefly get a connection after each password change. Eudora has a tendency to "forget" a password after certain classes of sign-in failure, but if that's what was happening you'd be getting prompts to enter the password rather than a failure during the connection.

          -- Shal
          (Eudora Pro 7.1.0.9 for Windows)
        • Harryh
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2013
            I have had issues with POP mail as well, mainly because I often use non-supported clients.  I have found that some supported clients are more forgiving of time-out errors than other clients, thus masking issues with Yahoo's POP implementation.  In order to locate implementation issues, I have had to resort to TELNET (Google  that if you are confused).  Sadly most of Yahoo tech support is clueless about the bog standard RFC1939 that defines how POP must work.  But higher level support can (and often will) accept transaction logs to define the issues.

            One issue some time ago was incomplete messages where attachments got truncated.  In order to work around that I had to use a supported client (Thunderbird), download attachments while leaving the messages on the server, then manually delete messages that were complete.  A new session would then retry to download the remainders and eventually (mostly) the messages were intact.  What a PITA.

            I just got a different error for the first time I have seen in Eudora:

            Yahoo Account  SSL Shutting Down Pop connection. Quit , error reading
            from network Cause: connection aborted due to timeout or other failure (10053).

            Might this be a clue to help solve the problem?

                Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

          • Gene Ehrich
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2013
              At 02:43 PM 4/14/2013, you wrote:
              >Gene,
              >
              > > 1. I regularly get message that says incorrect username or password.
              > >
              > > 2. To fix the error I need to go to yahoo and change my Yahoo password
              > > to a new password. I cannot use the same password.
              >
              >Interesting problem. I don't use paid Yahoo Mail so I can't directly
              >help you, but I can say that with other mail services I've had to
              >adjust Eudora's "Secure Sockets" option to match changes made by
              >those services in the last year or so. That said, I've had more
              >trouble with SMTP authentication while sending than I have with just
              >checking mail, so this may or may not relate to your issue.

              Update on the problem All of a sudden yesterday the problem went
              away. So it looks like all along it was Yahoo's problem