Disposable addresses use Spamguard even though option not checked

  • pb_rys
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6 7:16 AM
      I use a lot of disposable addresses to control spam. The problem I'm finding is that if one of these addresses gets compromised and starts receiving spam, it's almost impossible to tell which disposable address it is.

      Even though I don't have "Use Spamguard" checked for my disposable addresses, it appears that Yahoo mail still uses Spamguard on ALL mail. If the email is detected as spam, it goes to the spam folder. And if the email address was in bcc (rather than to or cc), you can't see which disposable address has been compromised.

      Are there any solutions to this problem? Best would be if Yahoo Mail actually didn't use Spamguard for disposable addresses for which Spamguard is not checked. It seems like a bug in Yahoo Mail Plus.

      Thanks, Peter
    • Shal Farley
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 6 5:06 PM
        Peter,

        > Even though I don't have "Use Spamguard" checked for my disposable
        > addresses, it appears that Yahoo mail still uses Spamguard on ALL mail.
        > If the email is detected as spam, it goes to the spam folder. And if the
        > email address was in bcc (rather than to or cc), you can't see which
        > disposable address has been compromised.

        Use "View Full Header" in the Actions menu. You should find a field starting with "X-Apparently-To:" that lists your email address. I don't use disposable addresses, but I imagine that would identify it.

        -- Shal
      • Makc666
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7 12:35 PM
          I am still trying to fight with them...

          Here is reply from Yahoo support...

          Response Via Email (Kyle) 12/17/2012 01:12 PM
          Hi Maxim,
          Thank you for taking the time to reach out again about your SpamGuard concern. I hope I will be able to further assist you with the issue.
          While the SpamGuard ballot box is visible under your Disposable Addresses menu, the engineers have communicated to us that SpamGuard can no longer be disabled.
          I will confer again with the engineers to ensure that although the option is listed that it is no longer functioning per recent design changes.
          Your patience is highly appreciated.
          Thanks,
          Kyle
          Yahoo! Customer Care
          www.yahoo.com

          +

          Response Via Email (Bob) 12/12/2012 01:00 PM
          Hello Maxim,
          Thank you for being a Yahoo! user since 2000. We appreciate you choosing to use Yahoo! and truly hope you continue to use Mail, Messenger, and Finance, as you have been.
          I want to apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. I assure you that I will do what I can to help resolve your issue.
          "SpamGuard" is a feature that automatically moves spam email to your Spam folder. By default, SpamGuard is always on and cannot be disabled. The option to have SpamGuard "off" is no longer available.

          You can train SpamGuard to improve its automated filtering system to help ensure that spam messages get sent to your Spam folder. SpamGuard adapts to your individual preferences every time you mark an email using the "Spam" and "Not Spam" buttons.
          As a workaround to ensure your emails go to your Inbox you can set up a filters to move emails with certain criteria to go to your Inbox.
          How do I create a filter?
          http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN3225&locale=en_US&i=RgPdl2iTNcA+DKERq7gnLw==

          Additional information on this, and other Yahoo! products, can be found on the Yahoo! help page.
          If you have any further concerns regarding this issue Maxim, please let me know and I will be happy to assist you.
          Thanks,
          Bob
          Yahoo! Customer Care
          www.yahoo.com

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "pb_rys" <pbrysavy@...> wrote:

          > I use a lot of disposable addresses to control spam. The problem I'm finding is that if one of these addresses gets compromised and starts receiving spam, it's almost impossible to tell which disposable address it is.
          >
          > Even though I don't have "Use Spamguard" checked for my disposable addresses, it appears that Yahoo mail still uses Spamguard on ALL mail. If the email is detected as spam, it goes to the spam folder. And if the email address was in bcc (rather than to or cc), you can't see which disposable address has been compromised.
          >
          > Are there any solutions to this problem? Best would be if Yahoo Mail actually didn't use Spamguard for disposable addresses for which Spamguard is not checked. It seems like a bug in Yahoo Mail Plus.
          >
          > Thanks, Peter

        • Kenneth
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7 1:56 PM
            I just tested the x-apparently-to field by sending an email from my Gmail account to my work account and BCCed to one of my Yahoo! Mail Plus DEAs.

            The DEA does show up in the x-apparently-to field in the full header. What surprised me though is that just opening the email with Yahoo!'s new interface displayed my DEA in a BCC field in the regular mail header.

            Is Yahoo! Mail determining that the email must have included me via BCC based on the x-apparently-to field?

            Kenneth

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

            > Peter,
            >
            > > Even though I don't have "Use Spamguard" checked for my disposable
            > > addresses, it appears that Yahoo mail still uses Spamguard on ALL mail.
            > > If the email is detected as spam, it goes to the spam folder. And if the
            > > email address was in bcc (rather than to or cc), you can't see which
            > > disposable address has been compromised.
            >
            > Use "View Full Header" in the Actions menu. You should find a field starting with "X-Apparently-To:" that lists your email address. I don't use disposable addresses, but I imagine that would identify it.
            >
            > -- Shal

          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7 5:11 PM
              Kenneth,

              > What surprised me though is that just opening the email with Yahoo!'s
              > new interface displayed my DEA in a BCC field in the regular mail
              > header.

              Your report surprised me, as it didn't occur when I tested a bcc from my roadrunner account. But it did when I tested from gmail.

              > Is Yahoo! Mail determining that the email must have included me via BCC
              > based on the x-apparently-to field?

              No, it seems that gmail conveniently put a BCC: field in the header.

              -- Shal
            • pb_rys
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8 6:54 AM
                Thanks Shal. That is most helpful and works.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

                > Peter,
                >
                > > Even though I don't have "Use Spamguard" checked for my disposable
                > > addresses, it appears that Yahoo mail still uses Spamguard on ALL mail.
                > > If the email is detected as spam, it goes to the spam folder. And if the
                > > email address was in bcc (rather than to or cc), you can't see which
                > > disposable address has been compromised.
                >
                > Use "View Full Header" in the Actions menu. You should find a field starting with "X-Apparently-To:" that lists your email address. I don't use disposable addresses, but I imagine that would identify it.
                >
                > -- Shal

              • mjk4984
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8 1:17 PM
                  The "X-Apparently-To:" should work to identify which email address received the email.

                  Yahoo used to have a "To" column in the Inbox and Spam folders which was useful for figuring out which email address received the email. I'm not sure why they got rid of it as I'd say 99% of the spam I get goes to one address which made it much easier to find false positives and unfiltered spam messages.

                  I wish Yahoo would add that back since even people who don't use DEA can use Yahoo Mail to pull mail from other email servers.

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

                  > Peter,
                  >
                  > > Even though I don't have "Use Spamguard" checked for my disposable
                  > > addresses, it appears that Yahoo mail still uses Spamguard on ALL mail.
                  > > If the email is detected as spam, it goes to the spam folder. And if the
                  > > email address was in bcc (rather than to or cc), you can't see which
                  > > disposable address has been compromised.
                  >
                  > Use "View Full Header" in the Actions menu. You should find a field starting with "X-Apparently-To:" that lists your email address. I don't use disposable addresses, but I imagine that would identify it.
                  >
                  > -- Shal

                • pb_rys
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 10 10:50 AM
                    Yes, thanks, "X-Apparently-To:" does work.

                    The whole point for me of disposable addresses is to keep mail flowing in completely spam free. The moment I see any spam, I terminate that email address. Spamguard is just an annoyance.

                    I wish Yahoo just had an option to completely turn off Spamguard (as it did in the past). It provides zero (in fact negative) value to me, and probably for a lot of people.

                    With gmail you can create a filter that says, if it's detected as spam, don't process it as spam, ha-ha, effectively turning off spam detection.

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mjk4984" <mjk4984@...> wrote:

                    > The "X-Apparently-To:" should work to identify which email address received the email.
                    >
                    > Yahoo used to have a "To" column in the Inbox and Spam folders which was useful for figuring out which email address received the email. I'm not sure why they got rid of it as I'd say 99% of the spam I get goes to one address which made it much easier to find false positives and unfiltered spam messages.
                    >
                    > I wish Yahoo would add that back since even people who don't use DEA can use Yahoo Mail to pull mail from other email servers.
                    >
                    > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shal@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Peter,
                    > >
                    > > > Even though I don't have "Use Spamguard" checked for my disposable
                    > > > addresses, it appears that Yahoo mail still uses Spamguard on ALL mail.
                    > > > If the email is detected as spam, it goes to the spam folder. And if the
                    > > > email address was in bcc (rather than to or cc), you can't see which
                    > > > disposable address has been compromised.
                    > >
                    > > Use "View Full Header" in the Actions menu. You should find a field starting with "X-Apparently-To:" that lists your email address. I don't use disposable addresses, but I imagine that would identify it.
                    > >
                    > > -- Shal

                  • lena_kiev
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 10 12:51 PM
                      > I wish Yahoo just had an option to completely turn off Spamguard

                      > With gmail you can create a filter that says, if it's detected as spam,
                      > don't process it as spam, ha-ha, effectively turning off spam detection.

                      If it doesn't contain the string cfhjmmdhfgfvfsnrkgfgdwtyfjkmnwvxcvzcgsh
                      then put it into Inbox, not Spam.
                      Just type a long string of random gibberish.