Re: [Y-Mail] Lena// password was stolen

  • lena_kiev
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
      > From: adeomus ******** <carpediemadeomus@...>
      >
      > Lena, may i please share this info with my groups' members ?
      > ( and, if yes, can i use your name ?)

      Yes, anybody may forward anything I post on this group
      and groups for moderators (YGOG, GMF, EL-M, LH, fEG, MaM).

      > this spam is pandemic on yahoo groups right now.

      Felons get paid "per install" (PPI): every trojan installation
      (in victims' Windowses) gets them money. The last link
      "The commercialization of malware distribution: Pay per install" on
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware#External_links
      Supply of losers who click links in spam
      (and never think to use anything but Windows)
      is endless.

      The next step will be contamination of often visited pages on legitimate
      websites (using FTP passwords stolen from webmasters), so the
      "click suspicious link" step will be unnecessary anymore,
      using Windows will be enough. Security holes in Windows are perpetual,
      antivirus vendors lost in the war.

      Lena
    • Sasafrass452
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
        Yes, since most viruses are for window$, Linux systems are generally unaffected. But as you pointed out, Android systems are being increasingly targeted. Since I don't have a phone or tablet, I'm safe.... for now.

        **Sasafrass452**
        http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
        http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
        http://angiemillerfans.proboards.com
        On 03/15/2013 02:46 PM, Shal Farley wrote:

        Sassafrass,

        > Linux systems don't get viruses, so the only way a Linux user
        > like me could have my Yahoo password stolen is for the hacker to attack
        > Yahoo's servers. And that's far less likely to happen....

        No, users of any operating system may be phished. And of course a pretty
        enough Trojan Horse could convince a Linux user to install it. I'm not
        saying that these relate to James' case, but they are other ways for
        your password to be stolen.

        Linux and other unix-based systems /do/ get viruses and other malware,
        but they don't get the ones that are designed for Windows (and to date
        that's been nearly all of them). The current Mac OS is unix based, and a
        large number of Mac users were compromised a year or two ago by a
        malware exploit of the Java engine in them.

        The Android operating system is also Linux-based, and due to the
        popularity of these phones (outselling desktop computers by far) there
        is an increasing recognition of emerging exploits for them as well.

        -- Shal

      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
          Lena,

          > The next step will be contamination of often visited pages on legitimate
          > websites (using FTP passwords stolen from webmasters), so the
          > "click suspicious link" step will be unnecessary anymore,

          I think that's not "next", but an ongoing alternate attack method. I'm thinking of the major problem a while back when some of the heavily used ad vendors were caught supplying ads with exploit code to major websites -- including Yahoo.

          -- Shal
        • adeomus ********
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013

            thank you so very much, Lena !
            I will pass along all your valuable info.

            Adds

            ... magic has a habit of lying low,
            like a rake in the grass.

            ~Terry Pratchett