Re: [Y-Mail] James, your password was stolen

  • lena_kiev
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
      > From: Donna Lee <donna74128@...>
      >
      > How do you know he has Windows? Maybe he has a Mac or a Linux system.

      Earlier I gave proof that such spam is sent using stolen password, not cookie.
      That excludes XSS exploits, so quesses of some security researchers are wrong.
      Password-stealing trojans are known, for example:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpig
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus_%28trojan_horse%29
      The trojans are silently installed with drive-by exploit kits, for example
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhole_exploit_kit
      These trojans and exploit kits can work under Windows only.
      Therefore, James entered the password in Windows, if not at home then
      at work or at an Internet-cafe. Every time I asked, the password was
      entered in Windows.
    • Donna Lee
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
        Even a Linux can be compromised. No system is free and clear from a virus.

        Donna Ford Lee  ♂+♀=♡
        Tulsa, OK

        (\. (\
        ( ^.^)
        o_(")(") HAPPY EASTER

        Sent Via My iPhone

        On Mar 15, 2013, at 10:41 AM, Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

        That's only true to a certain extent.... What is happening here is James' system is likely infected, thus allowing the hacker to steal his password. Linux systems don't get viruses, so the only way a Linux user like me could have my Yahoo password stolen is for the hacker to attack Yahoo's servers. And that's far less likely to happen....
        **Sasafrass452**
        http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
        http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
        http://angiemillerfans.proboards.com

      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
          Sassafrass,

          > Linux systems don't get viruses, so the only way a Linux user
          > like me could have my Yahoo password stolen is for the hacker to attack
          > Yahoo's servers. And that's far less likely to happen....

          No, users of any operating system may be phished. And of course a pretty
          enough Trojan Horse could convince a Linux user to install it. I'm not
          saying that these relate to James' case, but they are other ways for
          your password to be stolen.

          Linux and other unix-based systems /do/ get viruses and other malware,
          but they don't get the ones that are designed for Windows (and to date
          that's been nearly all of them). The current Mac OS is unix based, and a
          large number of Mac users were compromised a year or two ago by a
          malware exploit of the Java engine in them.

          The Android operating system is also Linux-based, and due to the
          popularity of these phones (outselling desktop computers by far) there
          is an increasing recognition of emerging exploits for them as well.

          -- Shal
        • lena_kiev
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
            > From: adeomus ******** <carpediemadeomus@...>
            >
            > Lena, may i please share this info with my groups' members ?
            > ( and, if yes, can i use your name ?)

            Yes, anybody may forward anything I post on this group
            and groups for moderators (YGOG, GMF, EL-M, LH, fEG, MaM).

            > this spam is pandemic on yahoo groups right now.

            Felons get paid "per install" (PPI): every trojan installation
            (in victims' Windowses) gets them money. The last link
            "The commercialization of malware distribution: Pay per install" on
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware#External_links
            Supply of losers who click links in spam
            (and never think to use anything but Windows)
            is endless.

            The next step will be contamination of often visited pages on legitimate
            websites (using FTP passwords stolen from webmasters), so the
            "click suspicious link" step will be unnecessary anymore,
            using Windows will be enough. Security holes in Windows are perpetual,
            antivirus vendors lost in the war.

            Lena
          • Sasafrass452
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
              Yes, since most viruses are for window$, Linux systems are generally unaffected. But as you pointed out, Android systems are being increasingly targeted. Since I don't have a phone or tablet, I'm safe.... for now.

              **Sasafrass452**
              http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
              http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
              http://angiemillerfans.proboards.com

              Sassafrass,

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
                Lena,

                > The next step will be contamination of often visited pages on legitimate
                > websites (using FTP passwords stolen from webmasters), so the
                > "click suspicious link" step will be unnecessary anymore,

                I think that's not "next", but an ongoing alternate attack method. I'm thinking of the major problem a while back when some of the heavily used ad vendors were caught supplying ads with exploit code to major websites -- including Yahoo.

                -- Shal
              • adeomus ********
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013

                  thank you so very much, Lena !
                  I will pass along all your valuable info.

                  Adds

                  ... magic has a habit of lying low,
                  like a rake in the grass.

                  ~Terry Pratchett