Re: Hot news

  • kr402
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
      This looks like possible spam.

      I didn't click on it.

      If it's a legit link then the person that sent it please include something in your post to tell us what it's about.

      Thanks!

    • lena_kiev
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
        James, password of your mailbox jakk9406@... was stolen
        with Windows malware (drive-by exploit kit) such as Blackhole
        by a spammer who uses malware (bot) in another user's Windows
        (in this case in Brazil) to send spam from your mailbox
        to all addresses from your address book ("Contacts") and Sent and Inbox folders
        using the password stolen from you.
        Change password of this mailbox immediately.
        Then scan Windows for viruses on every computer where you ever entered
        that password. If no malware found then scan with LiveCD or LiveUSB
        one-time antivirus scanner (free for personal use) from freedrweb.com
        It works outside Windows, thus has the potential to find
        malware designed to disable or evade common antiviruses.
        After the malware (virus, trojan) found and removed,
        change mailbox password again, but not to the previous one,
        and please tell me the malware name.
        Never use those old passwords for this mailbox again.
        If all scans find nothing, repeat download and scan after a week (there is
        some hope that antivirus vendors catch up to this malware version).
        Also, update Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader from adobe.com/downloads
        and Java from java.com/download , keep them updated.
        But exploits attack not only via security holes in browsers and their plugins.
        Unfortunately, my advice to use any free operating system
        instead of Windows on the same computer usually falls on deaf ears.

        Anybody who clicked the link in the spam needs to do the same.

        The spamming is automated, its main goal is growing the felon's botnet,
        spreading some bot/trojan (such as ZeuS or SpyEye) for stealing banking
        passwords, stealing and selling email passwords for spamming via
        legitimate servers (such spam is much more difficult to filter out),
        selling all types of passwords to interested unscrupulous people,
        selling access to zombie in your computer for spamming, attacking websites etc.
        Such spam also can promote some scam such as "work from home" or
        weight loss drops, but that's a side benefit for the felon.
        Nothing found by antivirus scanners is NOT a guarantee that you haven't
        a trojan/zombie/bot in your Windows, far from it.

        Lena

        The spam sent via your mailbox to the [Y-Mail] group:

        > To: Wes Vetter <sangecko@...>,
        > William Boshell <williamboshell@...>,
        > Y Mail group <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>, Y Mail FAQ <ymailfaq@...>,
        > Yahoo Widgets <widgets-support@...-inc.com>,
        > Yahoo Reminder <reminders@...>
        > From: James <jakk9406@...>
        > Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:08:55 -0700 (PDT)
        > Subject: Hot news
        >
        > h**p://www.sv90p**ey.de/ozfxhlg/kgw?vssygulqsbogsy
      • Sasafrass452
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
          Yes, it was spam that appears to be the result of a hacker stealing the member's password.

          **Sasafrass452**
          http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
          http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
          http://angiemillerfans.proboards.com
          On 03/14/2013 11:59 PM, kr402 wrote:

          This looks like possible spam.

          I didn't click on it.

          If it's a legit link then the person that sent it please include something in your post to tell us what it's about.

          Thanks!

        • Donna Lee
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
            How do you know he has Windows? Maybe he has a Mac or a Linux system.

            No web mail application is safe from a hacker. Yahoo is more vulnerable than most! This is what happens when you depend on a web mail.

            Donna Ford Lee ♂+♀=♡
            Tulsa, OK

            (\. (\
            ( ^.^)
            o_(")(") HAPPY EASTER

            Sent Via My iPhone

            On Mar 14, 2013, at 11:58 PM, Lena@... wrote:

            > James, password of your mailbox jakk9406@... was stolen
            > with Windows malware (drive-by exploit kit) such as Blackhole
            > by a spammer who uses malware (bot) in another user's Windows
            > (in this case in Brazil) to send spam from your mailbox
            > to all addresses from your address book ("Contacts") and Sent and Inbox folders
            > using the password stolen from you.
            > Change password of this mailbox immediately.
            > Then scan Windows for viruses on every computer where you ever entered
            > that password. If no malware found then scan with LiveCD or LiveUSB
            > one-time antivirus scanner (free for personal use) from freedrweb.com
            > It works outside Windows, thus has the potential to find
            > malware designed to disable or evade common antiviruses.
            > After the malware (virus, trojan) found and removed,
            > change mailbox password again, but not to the previous one,
            > and please tell me the malware name.
            > Never use those old passwords for this mailbox again.
            > If all scans find nothing, repeat download and scan after a week (there is
            > some hope that antivirus vendors catch up to this malware version).
            > Also, update Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader from adobe.com/downloads
            > and Java from java.com/download , keep them updated.
            > But exploits attack not only via security holes in browsers and their plugins.
            > Unfortunately, my advice to use any free operating system
            > instead of Windows on the same computer usually falls on deaf ears.
            >
            > Anybody who clicked the link in the spam needs to do the same.
            >
            > The spamming is automated, its main goal is growing the felon's botnet,
            > spreading some bot/trojan (such as ZeuS or SpyEye) for stealing banking
            > passwords, stealing and selling email passwords for spamming via
            > legitimate servers (such spam is much more difficult to filter out),
            > selling all types of passwords to interested unscrupulous people,
            > selling access to zombie in your computer for spamming, attacking websites etc.
            > Such spam also can promote some scam such as "work from home" or
            > weight loss drops, but that's a side benefit for the felon.
            > Nothing found by antivirus scanners is NOT a guarantee that you haven't
            > a trojan/zombie/bot in your Windows, far from it.
            >
            > Lena
          • Sasafrass452
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
              That's only true to a certain extent.... What is happening here is James' system is likely infected, thus allowing the hacker to steal his password. Linux systems don't get viruses, so the only way a Linux user like me could have my Yahoo password stolen is for the hacker to attack Yahoo's servers. And that's far less likely to happen....

              On 03/15/2013 10:21 AM, Donna Lee wrote:

              How do you know he has Windows? Maybe he has a Mac or a Linux system.

              No web mail application is safe from a hacker. Yahoo is more vulnerable than most! This is what happens when you depend on a web mail.

              Donna Ford Lee ♂+♀=♡
              Tulsa, OK

              (\. (\
              ( ^.^)
              o_(")(") HAPPY EASTER

              Sent Via My iPhone

              On Mar 14, 2013, at 11:58 PM, Lena@... wrote:

              > James, password of your mailbox jakk9406@... was stolen
              > with Windows malware (drive-by exploit kit) such as Blackhole
              > by a spammer who uses malware (bot) in another user's Windows
              > (in this case in Brazil) to send spam from your mailbox
              > to all addresses from your address book ("Contacts") and Sent and Inbox folders
              > using the password stolen from you.
              > Change password of this mailbox immediately.
              > Then scan Windows for viruses on every computer where you ever entered
              > that password. If no malware found then scan with LiveCD or LiveUSB
              > one-time antivirus scanner (free for personal use) from freedrweb.com
              > It works outside Windows, thus has the potential to find
              > malware designed to disable or evade common antiviruses.
              > After the malware (virus, trojan) found and removed,
              > change mailbox password again, but not to the previous one,
              > and please tell me the malware name.
              > Never use those old passwords for this mailbox again.
              > If all scans find nothing, repeat download and scan after a week (there is
              > some hope that antivirus vendors catch up to this malware version).
              > Also, update Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader from adobe.com/downloads
              > and Java from java.com/download , keep them updated.
              > But exploits attack not only via security holes in browsers and their plugins.
              > Unfortunately, my advice to use any free operating system
              > instead of Windows on the same computer usually falls on deaf ears.
              >
              > Anybody who clicked the link in the spam needs to do the same.
              >
              > The spamming is automated, its main goal is growing the felon's botnet,
              > spreading some bot/trojan (such as ZeuS or SpyEye) for stealing banking
              > passwords, stealing and selling email passwords for spamming via
              > legitimate servers (such spam is much more difficult to filter out),
              > selling all types of passwords to interested unscrupulous people,
              > selling access to zombie in your computer for spamming, attacking websites etc.
              > Such spam also can promote some scam such as "work from home" or
              > weight loss drops, but that's a side benefit for the felon.
              > Nothing found by antivirus scanners is NOT a guarantee that you haven't
              > a trojan/zombie/bot in your Windows, far from it.
              >
              > Lena

            • lena_kiev
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
                > From: Donna Lee <donna74128@...>
                >
                > How do you know he has Windows? Maybe he has a Mac or a Linux system.

                Earlier I gave proof that such spam is sent using stolen password, not cookie.
                That excludes XSS exploits, so quesses of some security researchers are wrong.
                Password-stealing trojans are known, for example:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpig
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus_%28trojan_horse%29
                The trojans are silently installed with drive-by exploit kits, for example
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhole_exploit_kit
                These trojans and exploit kits can work under Windows only.
                Therefore, James entered the password in Windows, if not at home then
                at work or at an Internet-cafe. Every time I asked, the password was
                entered in Windows.
              • Donna Lee
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
                  Even a Linux can be compromised. No system is free and clear from a virus.

                  Donna Ford Lee  ♂+♀=♡
                  Tulsa, OK

                  (\. (\
                  ( ^.^)
                  o_(")(") HAPPY EASTER

                  Sent Via My iPhone

                  On Mar 15, 2013, at 10:41 AM, Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                  That's only true to a certain extent.... What is happening here is James' system is likely infected, thus allowing the hacker to steal his password. Linux systems don't get viruses, so the only way a Linux user like me could have my Yahoo password stolen is for the hacker to attack Yahoo's servers. And that's far less likely to happen....
                  **Sasafrass452**
                  http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                  http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
                  http://angiemillerfans.proboards.com

                • Shal Farley
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013
                    Sassafrass,

                    > Linux systems don't get viruses, so the only way a Linux user
                    > like me could have my Yahoo password stolen is for the hacker to attack
                    > Yahoo's servers. And that's far less likely to happen....

                    No, users of any operating system may be phished. And of course a pretty
                    enough Trojan Horse could convince a Linux user to install it. I'm not
                    saying that these relate to James' case, but they are other ways for
                    your password to be stolen.

                    Linux and other unix-based systems /do/ get viruses and other malware,
                    but they don't get the ones that are designed for Windows (and to date
                    that's been nearly all of them). The current Mac OS is unix based, and a
                    large number of Mac users were compromised a year or two ago by a
                    malware exploit of the Java engine in them.

                    The Android operating system is also Linux-based, and due to the
                    popularity of these phones (outselling desktop computers by far) there
                    is an increasing recognition of emerging exploits for them as well.

                    -- Shal
                  • adeomus ********
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013

                      this "Hot news" garbage has been a deluge on the groups, as well as subject lines with the sender's name on them .

                      when in doubt, spam em out.
                      and never click !

                      adds

                      ..But magic has a habit of lying low,
                      like a rake in the grass.

                      ~Terry Pratchett
                      ~

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 15, 2013

                        Lena, may i please share this info with my groups' members ?
                        ( and, if yes, can i use your name ?)

                        this spam is pandemic on yahoo groups right now.
                        thank you !

                            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      • lena_kiev
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
                          > From: adeomus ******** <carpediemadeomus@...>
                          >
                          > Lena, may i please share this info with my groups' members ?
                          > ( and, if yes, can i use your name ?)

                          Yes, anybody may forward anything I post on this group
                          and groups for moderators (YGOG, GMF, EL-M, LH, fEG, MaM).

                          > this spam is pandemic on yahoo groups right now.

                          Felons get paid "per install" (PPI): every trojan installation
                          (in victims' Windowses) gets them money. The last link
                          "The commercialization of malware distribution: Pay per install" on
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware#External_links
                          Supply of losers who click links in spam
                          (and never think to use anything but Windows)
                          is endless.

                          The next step will be contamination of often visited pages on legitimate
                          websites (using FTP passwords stolen from webmasters), so the
                          "click suspicious link" step will be unnecessary anymore,
                          using Windows will be enough. Security holes in Windows are perpetual,
                          antivirus vendors lost in the war.

                          Lena
                        • Sasafrass452
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
                            Yes, since most viruses are for window$, Linux systems are generally unaffected. But as you pointed out, Android systems are being increasingly targeted. Since I don't have a phone or tablet, I'm safe.... for now.

                            **Sasafrass452**
                            http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                            http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
                            http://angiemillerfans.proboards.com

                            Sassafrass,

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
                              Lena,

                              > The next step will be contamination of often visited pages on legitimate
                              > websites (using FTP passwords stolen from webmasters), so the
                              > "click suspicious link" step will be unnecessary anymore,

                              I think that's not "next", but an ongoing alternate attack method. I'm thinking of the major problem a while back when some of the heavily used ad vendors were caught supplying ads with exploit code to major websites -- including Yahoo.

                              -- Shal
                            • adeomus ********
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013

                                thank you so very much, Lena !
                                I will pass along all your valuable info.

                                Adds