could the recent e-mail problems be hacking attempts?

  • askey.erskine
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi everybody,

      I've not seen any problems with Y-Mail, but I mostly use Gmail because of my change to using my Android tablet as much as my desktop. I'm a Plus user, and have avoided upgrading to the newer version like many others. I've been paid since 2006, so I'm a long-term user. If I'm reading things right, that puts me right in the class of people who are having problems.

      I didn't get any log-out, any deactivation messages, no captcha or other unexpected dialogues from Yahoo!

      Is it possible that a widespread hacking attempt was done, where some users were redirected away from Yahoo's servers to fake ones, and asked to validate their accounts in order to hijack them? We've heard of things like this with other services, and see warnings frequently about hijacked servers and user-side malware such as keyloggers.

      If there is a malware attack of some sort, it's possible that Yahoo! is not at fault at all, and instead is having to play cleanup for an external problem.

      I agree, there really should be something in the tech news about this - but has anybody reported it to any tech media outlet, like a blog or Networkworld or Cnet? It's hard to imagine that nobody's gone public yet, but it's possible, I suppose.

      I am really sorry so many have been hit by this plague. I wish you well in recovering your lost mail.

      -- John