Re: [Y-Mail] Account blocked

  • Donna Lee
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013
      I had to give Yahoo and Gmail my cell number in order to use the email program on my iPhone.  It has not added any extra calls for me.

      Donna Ford Lee  ♂+♀=♡
      Tulsa, OK

      Don't cry because it's over,
      smile because it happened.

      Sent Via My iPhone

      On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Nancy J <ordinaryfoolisnj@...> wrote:

      Regarding this topic and Shal's response:

      > do you think it is truly helpful if yahoo ( or gmail) have your cell
      > number to cross reference with ?

      Yes. If anyone changes my password I'll get a text message, and an opportunity to take control back.

      I also use it for second sign-in verification, which is a pretty strong protection against a stolen password.For me personally,

      Shal makes a good point.  I rarely respond - but I feel strongly about this - since I get asked for my phone number when signing into Google - or now - I was asked at least once by Yahoo.

      I don't give my cell phone number easily to anyone - even those that I know personally due to the nature of my business (and the fact that some people will call day and night - and DO).  Although, realistically - its already on the internet - but I see no need to put it out there again and again - unless I'm forced.

      I prefer email for communications and backup verification for most purposes.  Both Google and Yahoo have a secondary email for me, but I still see the request for my phone number - which I do not give (Google keeps asking - perhaps I'm rushing when I sign in and don't see the "don't ask me again" button).  Since Yahoo and Google do have secondary good working emails for me -  I don't understand why they need my phone number also.  But, it may be good for some - like Shal - who like getting a text.  But, for me - just use the good, working secondary email that they already have.

       Thanks for reading (hopefully Yahoo is reading also).

      Nancy J
      Ordinaryfool

    • Henrique de Castro
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013
      I really don't remember where I entered my phone number (less than a year ago, that is for sure), but I do remember that I wasn't really expecting it to work (but it worked). Let me take a look in my account again and I told you if I find anything, ok?

      --
      Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
      http://about.me/henriquejunior

      Message 3 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013
        Try that:
        1 - On the upper right corner, where it says "Hi, Your Name", go to "Account Info"
        2 - Enter your password (of course, let me say the obvious)
        3 - Click in "Update your contact information"
        4 - Add your cellphone.
        You will be able to edit the country code, even if it is not in the list.

        Hope it helps

        --
        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
        http://about.me/henriquejunior

        > I'm from Brazil and (I believe) my country is not in the listt

        It isn't.

        > but my second sign in is working ok since my number was accepted.

        My mobile phone number begins from country code +380
        I just tried to enter it with the + and without,
        without blanks, dashes and parentheses,
        in 3 different places in Account Info,
        but every time got an error message "The number you entered is
        not a mobile number or is invalid. Only numbers (0-9) are allowed" or
        "Looks like you tried submitting something other than a mobile number".
        Perhaps you entered your mobile number long ago
        when it wasn't checked, unlike now?

      • lena_kiev
        Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013
          > From: Henrique de Castro

          > Try that:
          > 1 - On the upper right corner, where it says "Hi, Your Name", go to "Account Info"
          > 2 - Enter your password (of course, let me say the obvious)
          > 3 - Click in "Update your contact information"
          > 4 - Add your cellphone.
          > You will be able to edit the country code, even if it is not in the list.

          I tried that. Now I tried again. If I click the "+" before the "Mobile"
          field then I get list of countries (without mine), numbers entered there
          perform search only.
          If in the Mobile field I enter mobile phone number (12 digits, nothing else)
          beginning from country code 380 and click Save then I get red error message
          "The number you entered is not a mobile number or is invalid.
          Only numbers (0-9) are allowed".
          I also tried without country code (9 digits) and got same error message.
        • adeomus ********
          Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013

            thank you Lena, your information is very much appreciated !
            adds

            ..But magic has a habit of lying low,
            like a rake in the grass.

            ~Terry Pratchett
            ~

            Message 6 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013

              thank you Nancy !
              I am really reluctant to give my number to anyone as well...and they do already have backup email addresses for me that email me whenever there was a change.

              thanks to everyone here !

              Message 7 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013
                Thank you Shal !

                adds

                ..But magic has a habit of lying low,
                like a rake in the grass.

                ~Terry Pratchett
                ~

                > do you think it is truly helpful if yahoo ( or gmail) have your cell
                > number to cross reference with ?

                Yes. If anyone changes my password I'll get a text message, and an opportunity to take control back.

                I also use it for second sign-in verification, which is a pretty strong protection against a stolen password.

                "What is Second Sign-in Verification"
                < http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?y=PROD_ACCT&page=content&id=SLN6282 >

                > is it not just a way for a hacker to get your cell number too ?

                Not "just", but perhaps so. Something to keep in mind if you suspect an intrusion.

                > as well, do you think it's helpful to give yahoo other email addresses
                > with which to cross reference in order to facilitate retrieving your
                > email access ?

                Yes, again for the first reason. I think this may be in part why in the current crop of compromises there haven't been reports of the criminals changing the victim's passwords.

                -- Shal

                    Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

              • Makc666
                Message 8 of 16 , Feb 11, 2013
                  I just want to fill the Henrique's list to the end.

                  5. After you will add you Mobile number you will receive SMS message to it.

                  6. The text will be from 'YAHOO' and sounds like: "Enter verification code: ******** to add this mobile phone to your Yahoo! account. More info at r.yahoo.com"

                  7. Now you go to htpp://r.yahoo.com and see "What kind of text message did you receive?"

                  8. Select option "Message for verifying my mobile number"

                  9. Enter you code from SMS.

                  10. Now you have your mobile number at your page: https://edit.yahoo.com/commchannel/manage

                  That it!

                  Thanks!