Re: [Y-Mail] windows 8/ Yahoo Mail Plus Problems

  • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2013
      Lena, I find this interesting. If it's not a Windows OS computer, it has to be a Mac, right? But that's not going to be cheaper. Or are you saying there is a 3rd choice?

      Cindy in Ohio
      Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix
      http://cynthiasword.wordpress.com/

      --- On Thu, 2/7/13, Lena@... <Lena@...> wrote:
      > > I don't use window$, but if that's true, it's just one more reason
      > > I'm glad I don't use it!
      >
      > apparently if one buys a new computer, it or one of its successors
      > with the same capabilities/ intent will be on it...

      You can buy a computer without Windows. Also, it's cheaper.

      Also, new computer often is bought because new Windows and antiviruses
      demand more hardware - more RAM, faster processor. Free operating systems
      needn't any antivirus and are less voracious.
    • Shal Farley
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
        Cindy,

        > Lena, I find this interesting. If it's not a Windows OS computer, it has
        > to be a Mac, right? But that's not going to be cheaper. Or are you
        > saying there is a 3rd choice?

        There's a multitude of choices, but the most popular (once you get past Windows and Mac) are versions of Linux (itself derivative of UNIX).

        One that has a pretty good reputation for out-of-the-box ease of use (for "the rest of us", as Apple famously said) is Ubuntu.
        < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29 >

        It is distributed for free, and will run comfortably on any PC which could run Windows. One of its advantages is that it will run comfortably on low-end or older generation PCs, which can save you money on hardware.

        Or, if you want to go really bare-bones, and your only need is webmail (such as Yahoo Mail), web browsing and web applications, there are the Chromebooks -- which are essentially Internet appliances. These do have a bias towards gmail as your email service, as the Chrome browser and Chrome OS were developed by Google, but I use Yahoo! Mail via the Chrome browser with no problems.
        < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebook >

        -- Shal
      • lena_kiev
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
          > From: Cindy Cozad-Rudinger <zadrud1@...>

          > If it's not a Windows OS computer, it has to be a Mac, right?

          The person who told you the phrase "Windows OS computer" deceived you.
          There isn't such thing. Your current computer is correctly called
          "IBM PC compatible" and can be used with any of free operating systems
          instead of Windows:
          FreeBSD and its derivatives such as
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GhostBSD ,
          multiple GNU/Linux variants (for example Ubuntu or
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint ),
          OpenBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris,
          some less known operating systems such as Haiku.
          And even pirated Mac OS X.

          And vice versa: contemporary computers made by Apple (Mac)
          can can be used with Windows, FreeBSD and other operating systems
          instead of Mac OS X.

          I use FreeBSD on usual computers with Athlon 64 with 512M RAM (mine)
          and Sempron with 256M RAM (my mother's). Intel processors also are
          supported by all abovementioned free operating systems.
          Antivirus, anti-malware, anti-spyware are necessary only if you use Windows.
          GhostBSD, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are easier
          to install and set up than plain FreeBSD.

          Lena
        • Sasafrass452
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
            I'm a Linux user, & I have PCLinuxOS. It's a "rolling" distribution, which means future versions of the OS don't require a fresh installation :) And it's free, as well :)

            **Sasafrass452**
            http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
            http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com