Re: [Y-Mail] windows 8/ Yahoo Mail Plus Problems

  • adeomus ********
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2013

      apparently if one buys a new computer, it or one of its successors with the same capabilities/ intent will be on it...

      hmm...

      Be who you are and say what you feel
       because those who mind don't matter
      and those who matter don't mind.
      ~ Dr. Seuss

      From: G Pollara <gpollara@...>
      Subject: Re: [Y-Mail] Yahoo Mail Plus Problems
      To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com

      I don't there is a limit.

      Download the Windows 8 app though, it's pretty good. However, I'm not sure if it lets you create folders.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail for Windows 8

      Well it is my turn to have problems!! I just read from adeomus that there was an update. Well that update may be giving me problems! I just got a new Windows 8 laptop Monday. I am still trying to learn the PC. I wonder if there is something that I need to activate to be able to use Ymail. I have been trying to create a folder in my email and for the life of me I can not!

      Is there a limit to how many folder Ymail will let you have?

      Donna Lee
      Tulsa, OK

    • lena_kiev
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2013
        > > I don't use window$, but if that's true, it's just one more reason
        > > I'm glad I don't use it!
        >
        > apparently if one buys a new computer, it or one of its successors
        > with the same capabilities/ intent will be on it...

        You can buy a computer without Windows. Also, it's cheaper.

        Also, new computer often is bought because new Windows and antiviruses
        demand more hardware - more RAM, faster processor. Free operating systems
        needn't any antivirus and are less voracious.
      • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2013
          Lena, I find this interesting. If it's not a Windows OS computer, it has to be a Mac, right? But that's not going to be cheaper. Or are you saying there is a 3rd choice?

          Cindy in Ohio
          Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix
          http://cynthiasword.wordpress.com/

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2013

            thank you !
            sounds good to me !

            adds

            Be who you are and say what you feel
             because those who mind don't matter
            and those who matter don't mind.
            ~ Dr. Seuss

            > > I don't use window$, but if that's true, it's just one more reason
            > > I'm glad I don't use it!
            >
            > apparently if one buys a new computer, it or one of its successors
            > with the same capabilities/ intent will be on it...

            You can buy a computer without Windows. Also, it's cheaper.

            Also, new computer often is bought because new Windows and antiviruses
            demand more hardware - more RAM, faster processor. Free operating systems
            needn't any antivirus and are less voracious.

                Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
              Cindy,

              > Lena, I find this interesting. If it's not a Windows OS computer, it has
              > to be a Mac, right? But that's not going to be cheaper. Or are you
              > saying there is a 3rd choice?

              There's a multitude of choices, but the most popular (once you get past Windows and Mac) are versions of Linux (itself derivative of UNIX).

              One that has a pretty good reputation for out-of-the-box ease of use (for "the rest of us", as Apple famously said) is Ubuntu.
              < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29 >

              It is distributed for free, and will run comfortably on any PC which could run Windows. One of its advantages is that it will run comfortably on low-end or older generation PCs, which can save you money on hardware.

              Or, if you want to go really bare-bones, and your only need is webmail (such as Yahoo Mail), web browsing and web applications, there are the Chromebooks -- which are essentially Internet appliances. These do have a bias towards gmail as your email service, as the Chrome browser and Chrome OS were developed by Google, but I use Yahoo! Mail via the Chrome browser with no problems.
              < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebook >

              -- Shal
            • lena_kiev
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
                > From: Cindy Cozad-Rudinger <zadrud1@...>

                > If it's not a Windows OS computer, it has to be a Mac, right?

                The person who told you the phrase "Windows OS computer" deceived you.
                There isn't such thing. Your current computer is correctly called
                "IBM PC compatible" and can be used with any of free operating systems
                instead of Windows:
                FreeBSD and its derivatives such as
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GhostBSD ,
                multiple GNU/Linux variants (for example Ubuntu or
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint ),
                OpenBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris,
                some less known operating systems such as Haiku.
                And even pirated Mac OS X.

                And vice versa: contemporary computers made by Apple (Mac)
                can can be used with Windows, FreeBSD and other operating systems
                instead of Mac OS X.

                I use FreeBSD on usual computers with Athlon 64 with 512M RAM (mine)
                and Sempron with 256M RAM (my mother's). Intel processors also are
                supported by all abovementioned free operating systems.
                Antivirus, anti-malware, anti-spyware are necessary only if you use Windows.
                GhostBSD, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are easier
                to install and set up than plain FreeBSD.

                Lena
              • Sasafrass452
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
                  I'm a Linux user, & I have PCLinuxOS. It's a "rolling" distribution, which means future versions of the OS don't require a fresh installation :) And it's free, as well :)